follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #99
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm IN for a 6AT tune. Would be willing to test and provide constructive criticism too if needed.

RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #100
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I am curious as to why Perrin isn't using the wonder drug known as E85?
90% of consumers are looking for a pumpgas solution. E85 is a low volume hassle for people willing to make the sacrifice; the majority of consumers aren't going to want to bother.

I get gmooker doesn't like John Visconti and loves Jeff Perrin, but could his posts sound anymore...worship-y?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #101
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I guess I'm lucky. I have 4 stations within 10 miles that have E85.
@OrbitalEllipses, it's funny you mention that since I was called out for apparently trying to pimp Visconti (which I wasn't) and yet nobody said anything about Gmooker until you. LOL.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #102
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
This thread's been derailed enough. This isn't about Perrin the shop or John, it's about tune that's not out yet. Y'all are mentally masturbating in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I guess I'm lucky. I have 4 stations within 10 miles that have E85.
@OrbitalEllipses, it's funny you mention that since I was called out for apparently trying to pimp Visconti (which I wasn't) and yet nobody said anything about Gmooker until you. LOL.
You're in the minority for E85 availability. And I was under the impression that E85 mileage wasn't as good as gas, while being similarly expensive.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #103
RedRocket

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
IIRC Perrin didnt see much power being made by their intake, or any other intake, and for $300 bucks, if it doesnt make power they dont sell it just to make a little extra noise, which is mostly what I see out there that folks are buying and then trying to convince them selves it can be tuned to make more power. I saw johns graphs, it was 2-3whp at best, in some cases 4-5hp at the top; and with each 3rd party intake, it looked like there was suffering down low.

I suspect most of the intakes that claim power dont really flow any better than OE untill youre at redline, and that is with compromises down low. Most folks are trading off midrange for 2-3hp top end with most any intake ... I am not ready to give any midrange up, and it seems niether is Jeff.

All the parts he has sold me have near eliminated the TQ dip. I dont even remember it.

he holds the bar very high for himself, and we all benefit. Trust that he is turning down tune money folks are throwing at Visconti for a good reason, he is making it a masterpiece, when its ready it will be for sale, and when its for sale, it will be worth buying. I am SO lucky to be a beta tester he throws stuff at, and so pleased to see the limits being pushed.

Its not all peak HP that youre buying when you buy Perrin. Some of it is plain drivability the graphs dont show that so easily. Thats why folks are SO happy with the tune he has developed. Sure you can take your 3rd party box and have Jeff tune for it; chances are he has already looked into it, and didnt make enough power to justify bolting said 3rd party box on. Whatever its your money. if youre hellbent on adding bog then trying to tune it out, whatever floats the boats.

Nothing gets put on Jeffs car if it doesnt make power, it wont sell. if it bogs, its not for sale.If enough people want a Perrin tune and have already bought a 3rd party box that causes a condition that needs fixin, I bet Jeff will tune for it just like Visconti. Dopesnt hurt to ask him. Once teh tune is for sale, I suspect that can all happen

Most likely, he is tuning for the drop in filter he sells, as it makes every bit as much power, and sound as any of the more expensive 3rd party air boxes. They could have sold us an intake just to sell us one, but it is their truthfulness to our community that makes them a vendor worth my money. I dig my drop in, and it give me a few extra hp with NO compromise in the middle of my curve.

Now, back to the logs I owe him on the last two tunes he sent me. I sense he is getting close to a final release.

I LoL'd..

Taking info John's said 200 times, and saying Jeff said it...

Man... You gotta get off Jeff Perrins lap..

He's not going to send you free stuff..
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #104
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Hello everyone, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. We are still working on fine tuning the maps for cars all over the country, and they will be ready soon.

We are still working on what stages of maps that we are going to be making, right now we are working on a "stage 1 style" map that can be used on a stock car, or stock car with up to a header back exhaust. We are still testing this, but it looks like we may have to make different maps for different intakes out there. We're still not sure how many different intakes we will support though.

We aren't planning on making E85 tunes. E85 is best tuned on the dyno, since it has to be very finely tuned.

When the maps are ready, we will let everyone know and post up a ton of info like we always do! We don't have a specific date on this, but expect it to be before the end of the year. We are holding back to make sure the maps are the best they can be, so they are in line with our other quality parts.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-16-2012), ABQautoxer (10-16-2012), Celica00 (10-16-2012), EN2_Squirrel (10-16-2012), Mobius357 (10-17-2012), neutron256 (10-16-2012), scioneric (10-16-2012), Slartibartfast (10-18-2012), WatchmaN (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #105
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thank you @PERRIN_Chris. One last question please.. Will there be a different tune for 6MT vs. 6AT? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Hello everyone, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. We are still working on fine tuning the maps for cars all over the country, and they will be ready soon.

We are still working on what stages of maps that we are going to be making, right now we are working on a "stage 1 style" map that can be used on a stock car, or stock car with up to a header back exhaust. We are still testing this, but it looks like we may have to make different maps for different intakes out there. We're still not sure how many different intakes we will support though.

We aren't planning on making E85 tunes. E85 is best tuned on the dyno, since it has to be very finely tuned.

When the maps are ready, we will let everyone know and post up a ton of info like we always do! We don't have a specific date on this, but expect it to be before the end of the year. We are holding back to make sure the maps are the best they can be, so they are in line with our other quality parts.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #106
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Please dont hate. There are a number of folks out there with the beta tune as of now, so Ima open my big mouth...while I dont know if its the final release candidate or not, it sure feels really great, and ready for prime time, to me.

Testing the newest racerom that has a few different maps is pure unadulterated FUN. All of which are head ripping fast up top, there are some differences how they feel in the middle and down low.

would this work fine with a stock intake? yes, I have taken the drop in filter in and out, and just once was enough to confirm the sound and the butt dyno difference. no good reason to not run the drop in, it just feels better. The impact is more evident in the 3100 to 3800 rpm range, it just pulls harder where there was once a bit of a oe lull with every map.

I have the headerback system, and it does feel like it was all built to work in harmony-the mods add up as does the driving enjoyment. Had to hardwire the valentine1...hehe

You probably dont have the tune yet, or you'd see how it transforms your car, its badassed. You will be ooohing and aaahhing too man. No doubt.

Just you wait.

I've driven the Visconti tune car, it was plenty-o-power too, so while I may not be a fan of the man, both tunes make power from what I have driven and felt. Ultimately, its not like its gonna be a dyno graph that makes you decide who you wanna deal with is it? From two different dynos? They are two totally different shops in every aspect. I just got done sending Jeff yet another set of logs.

map one is stock subaru map for those pesky dealer visits, I wont be using it..

map two has some retard in it for higher altitude and crappy gas but way better than stock. good when I am in those parts of AZ and New mexico where 89 to 91 octane is like a luxury. Three and four have the most power, and its like night and day different from OE maps. 91/92 octane ideally. I like those. hell-alot. Depending on the mood/road, map 3 turns off blipshift, for that more purist feel. Spending most my time there, grinning.

Two, Three and four are variations of maps that have launch control(revs hold at 4000 rpms), blipshift, and flatfoot shifting. This is all beta, mind you.

Its nice to drive mellow in map2, and as twisties approach, you can trade of a bit of economy for more aggressive peppy mapping. Its very easy to do comparo onthe same road, same day same tank of gas different map and see what youre actually paying for.

My oil temps stay pretty stable with the oil cooler. Not to let the cat out of the bag, but I heard the production version you all will be getting may even have some color bling added- annodized- dont quote me, preassembled lines and nifty oeticker clamps and what not. A nice kit. I will be seeing the revised kit soon, so its just around the corner for you all too I bet.

I'm looking forward to trying out some neat beta stuff, like motor mounts that are a different design than OE, and better for racing applications. Not stuff you can find at the 'competitors', mind you. I kinda like shopping the whole package. There are other things that i am hoping to see on my car, not all of it will make it to production I suppose..but one can sure hope!

Most of this for me has been really about prepping the car for forced induction, these are the bits that will stay even after Vortech's STG1. I did say big mouth huh..

As I suspect Perrin will be a Vortech dealer, there are lots of goodies instore, and so things, as I understand it, are being designed to all be forward compatible-what is on my car now, will flow just fine for the Vortech STG1 offering. Its all been pre planned in its design..

Obviously things will get remapped, but the rest of my build will stick.

Sorry I cant share anything about pricing, or my deals/freebies, but being a tester on a larger scale of their entire line of product for our car has had its benefits: My car has never driven better.

Last edited by gmookher; 10-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #107
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
RYU,

There will be a different map for the auto and the manual. Thanks!
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #108
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
hopefully perrin wasn't trying to keep any of that under wraps.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #109
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
RYU,

There will be a different map for the auto and the manual. Thanks!
Chris-
I've gotta say, I'm really looking forward to your tune. I've been following your blog (via RSS), and I'm loving the detailed information. You guys did a great job detailing how to install and run ProECU, how to flash your ECU, and how to datalog. You guys seem to really have your stuff together.

I've been holding off on the "other" tunes (not mentioning who, but it's obvious), because of the mess involved in their orders. Some have been waiting for over 67 days, some are getting it right away, some have no idea how to flash because of a lack of instructions (some are even making comments in the other threads to view your instructions), some are being told to fill out a new form every week, etc... It's just a huge mess and hopefully you guys will be on top of your order process.

Looking forward to what you guys bring to the table.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #110
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
I have the Perrin Stage 1 tune and due to my car going into the dealer to get the Cricket TSB performed I had them flash me back to stock at lunch time. I work about 15 miles from Perrin and I'll tell you all that I missed the tune for every mile I drove back to my office. It is a good tune. I've had it for about a month now and going back to stock reaffirmed my initial impressions since you tend to forget over time. I don't own a PC so have yet to buy a cable but will be picking up a dedicated laptop and the cable in the next few months.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to digital_assassin For This Useful Post:
gmookher (10-19-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #111
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_assassin View Post
I have the Perrin Stage 1 tune and due to my car going into the dealer to get the Cricket TSB performed I had them flash me back to stock at lunch time. I work about 15 miles from Perrin and I'll tell you all that I missed the tune for every mile I drove back to my office. It is a good tune. I've had it for about a month now and going back to stock reaffirmed my initial impressions since you tend to forget over time. I don't own a PC so have yet to buy a cable but will be picking up a dedicated laptop and the cable in the next few months.
haha i actually just got back from the dealer today for the chirping issue and had to flash my car to stock and i agree w/ what youre saying. the tune makes the car feel so great that going back to stock makes the car lifeless in comparison. best mod for the money out right now
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #112
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
agreed, I dunno what version you all are on, but the latest one is spectacular...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote