follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #421
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Dyno*

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #422
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
I was thinking of getting this intake but I'm second guessing now. This test thread is scarring me away from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimford View Post
So is this accurate, if so I feel like I've been a bit duped. I may have to ask for my money back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
We've all been duped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdj18 View Post
I just bought one of these....it's on it's way.....what should I do??
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
That hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scioneric View Post
Cannot believe that the dyno data was night and day! What should I do with mine?

Guys, I'm not here to scare you away, nor am I here to steer consumers from buying AiRaid's stuff. Let me be perfectly clear about this.

Regards,

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
Style (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #423
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I added a portion of the snorkel back to assist with colder air and I've contacted Airaid to address these issues.
I'd buy an AFE if I had a buyer for the Airaid, just my two cents
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #424
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I added a portion of the snorkel back to assist with colder air and I've contacted Airaid to address these issues.
I'd buy an AFE if I had a buyer for the Airaid, just my two cents
AJUSA has a 30 day return policy. I know, I used it. Just a word of warning though, you have to pay return shipping and they won't refund the cost of originally shipping it to you. Plus, they take a pretty long time giving you the refund. I JUST got my refund, and the intake left my hands almost a month ago. Nice guys, though.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #425
tonystewart

It's been more than 30 days.
I'm not going that route but thank you for the advice.
This is not AJUSA's problem, the manufacturer can learn from all of us
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #426
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
Guys, I'm not here to scare you away, nor am I here to steer consumers from buying AiRaid's stuff. Let me be perfectly clear about this.

Regards,

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC

Unfortunately your findings are not going to have a positive effect on all of those who invested in the Airaid intake, nor Airaid itself

This is very disappointing news, back to square one for me...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #427
NGabriel89

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout (AKA Lexi)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NGabriel89
Uh.. Tap Auto? Return policy please? LOL
NGabriel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #428
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Airaid should consider redesigning the intake (because they won't have any buyers after these independent tests) and offer current owners a replacement.

It shouldn't even be that expensive. I'm willing to say most of the problem comes from the design of the box. Look at the AFe takeda and how the opening of the box goes far forward and if I remember correctly, even ever so slightly through the opening behind the bumper.The airaid doesn't quite come close to this and other members have suggested this lends it to pulling in more hot air around the radiator.

In the long run I wouldn't care about paying for another intake (afe) but I'd really like Airaid to resolve their issue because their customer service is second to none. Let's hope that shows in this situation too.

Anyone agree?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #429
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Airaid should consider redesigning the intake (because they won't have any buyers after these independent tests) and offer current owners a replacement.

It shouldn't even be that expensive. I'm willing to say most of the problem comes from the design of the box. Look at the AFe takeda and how the opening of the box goes far forward and if I remember correctly, even ever so slightly through the opening behind the bumper.The airaid doesn't quite come close to this and other members have suggested this lends it to pulling in more hot air around the radiator.

In the long run I wouldn't care about paying for another intake (afe) but I'd really like Airaid to resolve their issue because their customer service is second to none. Let's hope that shows in this situation too.

Anyone agree?
That sounds great, in theory. But it won't happen.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #430
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Anyone agree?

This is their position that was posted in another thread, so until they can see that there is an issue or problem with the existing intake, I highly doubt we will see an updated design

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=19413&page=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRAID View Post
These are certainly interesting results, but they just don’t add up. With all due respect to the OP, we take issue with the following:

1. It doesn’t look like the long term fuel trims had been established for our intake system. We are basing this on the extremely rich AFR, especially on the 4th gear run. It’s not surprising that it lost power- it’s below 10:1 at 6600 RPM. The test vehicle averaged 12:1 on the baseline runs. Our kit would never run this fat when the vehicle is properly acclimated. Besides losing a noticeable amount of power, this would also result extremely poor fuel economy. This would be a direct contradiction to the increased MPG claims of many of our current users.

2. There’s no way to compare dyno runs against each over a 4 week period and expect to come up with valid data. We could show similar variances in power on a single stock vehicle from morning to afternoon, let alone over a month. When testing these cars, you’re really splitting hairs with bolt on parts. The wider your test spread, the less accurate your data.

3. We’ve sold over a hundred of these systems to date without issue. How would anyone NOT notice a 10% power loss after installing our intake on their daily driver?

4. There seems to be confusion as to whether or not the ECU was reset with each test. If the ECU was not reset and the vehicle was not given enough time to establish long-term fuel maps, this would explain the results.

It takes highly accurate equipment to measure the small gains produced by bolt-on parts on these engines. We use a Mustang AWD -500 series. This Eddy Current dyno applies a road/vehicle load simulation during the test. This load applied is very critical on today’s more sophisticated fuel systems. Proper fuel delivery is based off of load calculations with input from the mass air meter, TPS, and or MAP.

We also invest hundreds of hours of R&D into every intake kit we develop. We have tested this particular kit on several different cars, including our own, during development and well into production. We have consistently produced the numbers that we claim, and we stand behind them. On this particular kit, as with all of our kits, we published fair, average horsepower and torque numbers, not the max we saw from one test. We’re not in the business of selling products that don’t work as claimed; those that do aren’t around for very long.

When taken as a whole, these results simply do not add up and contradict not only our own tests, but those of other customers and consumers.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #431
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This is exactly what i was worried about with this car, aftermarket makers pushing products out too quickly to get the early sales, and as it seems, with no real testing to know the product works 100%.
Apart from my exhaust (which i want for a better sound) and the lightweight pully, i wont be doing any other mods for a couple of years, i want everything sorted and proven first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuddbutter For This Useful Post:
Tylub (10-11-2012), zoomzoomers (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #432
AIRAID

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
What do you guys have to say about this ?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19413

This is awful. I love the sound my intake makes but if I'm losing power this is inexcusable. I can't seriously imagine.... all that time was spent on r&d to make an intake that performs this badly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarGC View Post
You guys seen this?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19413

Edit: beat me to it lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
I was thinking of getting this intake but I'm second guessing now. This test thread is scarring me away from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimford View Post
So is this accurate, if so I feel like I've been a bit duped. I may have to ask for my money back.
Quote:
We've all been duped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdj18 View Post
I just bought one of these....it's on it's way.....what should I do??
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
That hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scioneric View Post
Cannot believe that the dyno data was night and day! What should I do with mine?
Quote:
It's been more than 30 days.
I'm not going that route but thank you for the advice.
This is not AJUSA's problem, the manufacturer can learn from all of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
Unfortunately your findings are not going to have a positive effect on all of those who invested in the Airaid intake, nor Airaid itself

This is very disappointing news, back to square one for me...
Quote:

Anyone agree?
We would encourage everyone to take a step back for just a minute. We've had nothing but positive comments from nearly all those that have installed and used our intake system (with one notable and very vocal exception, which we did everything we could to make right). Look back through this very thread. Those of you with the intake installed, don't you think you'd FEEL the 10% reduction in power that this test claims? With an A/F ratio below 10:1, wouldn't gas mileage have tanked after install instead of going up as many of you have claimed? We have voiced our position in that thread, and TAP Auto has reposted it here. We would encourage everyone to examine the information put forth, compare them with your own experiences, and then draw your own conclusions.
AIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AIRAID For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #433
tonystewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
That sounds great, in theory. But it won't happen.
True True
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #434
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Look at the AFe takeda and how the opening of the box goes far forward and if I remember correctly, even ever so slightly through the opening behind the bumper.The airaid doesn't quite come close to this and other members have suggested this lends it to pulling in more hot air around the radiator.
Just curious - I've seen a few of you guys say how the AFe opening goes further into the bumper area than the AIRAID does, but in this picture, it look slike it's closer in. Was it installed incorrectly on this one?

Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote