follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No, the proper way is to get statistics.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dori. For This Useful Post:
Boxer-86 (10-06-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #16
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Im just going to leave this here....

http://jalopnik.com/5948330/pointles...ars-and-trucks
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #17
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRocket View Post
NAC/ToTY is a joke. Fake marketing campaign put together by a fake automotive news group.

We know how great this car is, and so does every reviewer who's driven it.
OTOH, it may very well win very un-fake Motortrend's COTY award, which is given to the new car that best fulfills its intended purpose. The 86 nails it as the affordable, lightweight, nimble pure driver's car we've all been waiting for.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmayol View Post
Right. Proper way is to rely on what stealership has to say.
When did I mention the dealership? Please quote it. I'll wait.

I didn't.

On a forum, if someone has an issue, they will post it. But if someone doesn'thave an issue, they certainly aren't going to make a post saying "Everything's fine! What do I do?" Using a forum to judge reliability means you have a skewed sample.

The CEL thread has 122 reported cases. That's out of 13073 users of this forum. Less than 1%. And that's got enough room for error in both directions to drive a truck through. Not to mention that since the problem has been identified, they certainly aren't continuing to produce cars with the defective part, so the percentage is dwindling rapidly.

So again, there are no common issues, just issues commonly reported. The distinction is small, but important.

Where to get good data? At this point in time, there isn't any good data except for what may be sitting in Toyobaru's computers. So you have a choice:

1. Wait until good data is available and buy the car.

2. Get the car now and have fun with it while dealing with any small hiccups that occur.

Frankly, I'd rather be driving the car, which is why I bought one.

Back OT: COTY articles are *ehh* in general because they judge on a lot of criteria that matters to the general public, not enthusiasts. The best COTY articles are ones from enthusiast magazines. EVO's COTY article is always an enjoyable read.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Frost (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How do they come up with this list? It looks like all the cars, except for the twins, are 4 door sedans and with practicality much more in mind than performance/fun.

depending on the reviewers, I wouldn't be surprised if the twins weren't in the top 3 simply because the car has no backdoors and can only "fit" 2.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
BRAVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post

I didn't.

On a forum, if someone has an issue, they will post it. But if someone doesn'thave an issue, they certainly aren't going to make a post saying "Everything's fine! What do I do?" Using a forum to judge reliability means you have a skewed sample.

The CEL thread has 122 reported cases. That's out of 13073 users of this forum. Less than 1%. And that's got enough room for error in both directions to drive a truck through. Not to mention that since the problem has been identified, they certainly aren't continuing to produce cars with the defective part, so the percentage is dwindling rapidly.

So again, there are no common issues, just issues commonly reported. The distinction is small, but important.

Where to get good data? At this point in time, there isn't any good data except for what may be sitting in Toyobaru's computers. So you have a choice:

2. Get the car now and have fun with it while dealing with any small hiccups that occur.

Back OT: COTY articles are *ehh* in general because they judge on a lot of criteria that matters to the general public, not enthusiasts. The best COTY articles are ones from enthusiast magazines. EVO's COTY article is always an enjoyable read.
Bravo my man / woman. Bravo.

Now this man understands how to interpret statistics, not just read / count them.

The difference? One understands where those numbers are coming from and gets the idea of where that fits into the bigger scheme of things, the other just reads the numbers and assumes that is the world.

The most ideal way to truly get an idea of how many problems existed is to count how many cars were sold and are being used (ie: sold to dealership but sitting on the lot do not count since no one can honestly say there is no problem) and then count how many cars have the confirmed problem (confirmed as it they took it to a dealer to diagnose and not some idiot hearing a funny noise and automatically say "FAIL!"). That would be more ideal than surfing a forum and going "AHA!".

Bravo my good man / woman.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I didn't.

There may be 13,000 members. But how many of them own the BRZ/FRS? I think when you figure that out it will be more than 1% because this car isn't selling like a Camry.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #22
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
There may be 13,000 members. But how many of them own the BRZ/FRS? I think when you figure that out it will be more than 1% because this car isn't selling like a Camry.
I also said there were large sources of error.

You're also going to see a higher membership rate of those who are having issues. So there's a lower percentage.

Cars bought vs cars produced; higher percentage.

US car numbers vs world numbers: Lower or Higher...

There's no way to get a solid number. The only people who know are Toyobaru, and they won't tell anyone. But there's no realistic way that the issue covers the majority of cars. I'd be surprised if it's more than 5%, and I more realistically believe it's closer to 1-2% of US cars.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Do WE have any say in the matter? If so, everyone just vote for the FR-S, it's easier considering there are many more of them sold and it's more well-known.

Edit: doesn't look like we do?

http://www.northamericancaroftheyear.org/

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Duh! LL-FRS!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #25
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
A limited batch of cars got bad AVCS solenoids and suddenly there's "The 86 engine issues" as if every car has the problem. A forum is NOT a proper sample to judge reliability in any way, shape, or form.
So far, knock on wood, I've had no engine issues. Over 8,000 miles on mine.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
gonzo

Drives: frs
why are so many people infatuated with the 3 series?

drove a 2011 3 series hard top for a while and the only thing i enjoyed was the hardtop and the interior and exterior design.

besides that, throttle response was horrible, suspension was bad, steering was okay, and definitely not enough power for the weight of that hardtop.

I believe that bmws are more about comfort, status, and looks than the actual driving experience... it's sad that this is exactly what most people care about with respect to the car they drive
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote