follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
TOMIMOTO

Drives: MY00 Impreza 2.5RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS. With the climate controls off and the circulator thing pulling from outside it always blows in a gentle breeze of air. If the controls are set to hot, warm air blows in. If it's set to cold, cool air blows in. If I set it to recirculate, no air blows in.

If I were to guess this is the same issue.
TOMIMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
ok, clarification: I meant warm air blowing when you are NOT running the AC and just trying to bring in fresh air from outside. My older cars would still provide cool(er) air from outside. Seems like the newer cars I've been in blow warm air regardless.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrey View Post
For this the Miata is infamous.

Here's the Miata cause and solution. It may or may not be related to our problem:

http://www.miata.net/garage/heater_cable.html
That certainly looks like a design flaw...and they made the end user correct it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post
ok, clarification: I meant warm air blowing when you are NOT running the AC and just trying to bring in fresh air from outside. My older cars would still provide cool(er) air from outside. Seems like the newer cars I've been in blow warm air regardless.
They understood you, they're just being funny with the answers. I too like cold air without using the compressor, and when winter comes I would not like warm air when I'm expecting cold. Winter is "no compressor" time in Texas.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
virobloc

Drives: Toyota GT86, MT, Kyuzo Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoneoh View Post
Did something change in car design?
I've noticed that also, and I guess it has to do with the air /pollution filter (don't know how it's called)
In ancient cars, the air used to come straight from the exterior through very simple pipes. Actually, I can remember a couple of models in which you could see the exterior through the vents. Nowadays almost every car has air filters, wich are located in the engine bay. These boxes become hot, hence the hot air.
I'm not sure this is the correct explanation, but it makes sense to me.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #19
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _F-R-S_ View Post
pftt u think thats bad i got smoke coming outta my vents when turning air on.
That's normal. Nothing to worry about
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
It has been resolved! Turns out there's a button in the middle of the right-most knob that makes it blow cold air.

I kid, I kid. Smart-ass answer aside... no, there's no fix for this. Since I've started driving back in the early 90's,I've been in cars where the cold setting is almost as good as AC, and others where it's only marginally warmer than outside air... but none have been as bad as the 86/ BRZ. I'm guessing it's just a quirk of design. Personally, I haven't noticed it getting better or worse over the years; I guess we just drew a bad hand with this design. Maybe the only way they could work out how to get power to the rear wheels was by routing the exhaust through the air-ducts... who knows.
LOL, "There's your problem... Your exhaust pipes are hooked up to your air vents!" Haha, I can just imagine it shooting flames out my air vents as I lift off the throttle. And then a Japanese engineer saying in a technical video, "We wanted to give this car a more exciting feel so we channeled the intake and exhaust inside the cockpit."
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #21
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
That certainly looks like a design flaw...and they made the end user correct it?

They understood you, they're just being funny with the answers. I too like cold air without using the compressor, and when winter comes I would not like warm air when I'm expecting cold. Winter is "no compressor" time in Texas.
pfft, boys... worse than kindergarteners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virobloc View Post
I've noticed that also, and I guess it has to do with the air /pollution filter (don't know how it's called)
In ancient cars, the air used to come straight from the exterior through very simple pipes. Actually, I can remember a couple of models in which you could see the exterior through the vents. Nowadays almost every car has air filters, wich are located in the engine bay. These boxes become hot, hence the hot air.
I'm not sure this is the correct explanation, but it makes sense to me.
THe air in my post-2005 car starts out cool (when the engine is cool) but it gets hot and stays hot soon afterwards

I guess I'll just learn to deal with it, sigh.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #22
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
or you could roll down the windows? My 95 eclipse and 05 evo both blew warm air with no ac and the recerc air on.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #23
whateatsrabbits

Drives: 2013"Road scalpel"FR-S MT
I think its the heat from the engine coming through the firewall.
The 86 is a precision car, it does not compensate for driver error, on the road or on the track. This is the kind of car thats created to be the surgeons scalpal of the mass-consumer car world, not a drag car.
whateatsrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #24
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
I think its the heat from the engine coming through the firewall.
you would have a bigger problem if that was the real issue.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
as we have discussed with the exhaust temps, I think this engine runs extremely hot as well. I've noticed that on a couple of occasions that the interior gets extremely hot and the air that comes out is like having the heat on. There must be lots of heat soak with the air pipes. It's a bit annoying when it's 90 degrees everyday.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #26
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lots of helpful info in this thread. I am sure no one thought to use the AC or roll down the windows...

The short answer to OP's question is no. Slightly warmer air then the outside blows in. There has been no fix and I don't expect there to be one.
Username is offline   Reply With Quote