follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #4943
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Pretty sure there are forged internals available, and capable piggybacks. Everything else...well, I figure I'll get pretty good at machining/welding :P

2ZZ swaps are quite cheap, but like I said they aren't nerdgasm inducing. The 2ZZ is such a beautiful motor from the factory, if I put one in it'll feel like there's nothing left to do.

I insist on decreasing the displacement, because I think the displacement is too high for the MR2. Still trying to decide what "Miller cycle ratio" (physical expansion ratio/true compression ratio) to use, the higher it is the higher the static compression should go to maximize the efficiency and power, but as you know high compression interferes with in cylinder flow.

The biggest piece of the puzzle is still obtaining the unicorn Eaton TVS supercharger...may have to just settle for a centri
Whoa there! I'll PM you a hypothetical built 1NZ tomorrow.

Because titanium.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #4944
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Actually now that I think of it, with Prius cams and Prius pistons, I need to mill the head to 14:1 compression ratio to reap the benefits of high octane fuel...f*** is that even possible? Okay I guess the cams can't be too crazy then.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #4945
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
Just installed Linux and WOW, I gotta say...

ITS AMAZING. I love every bit so far. As a casual Internet browsing/Word processor user, it's perfect. Too bad I'm on a VirtualMachine
I have been using Backtrack Linux for a long time for its various hacking tools, and I love it! I run OSX daily though and just boot to a Linux partition to use it! Good stuff!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #4946
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Actually now that I think of it, with Prius cams and Prius pistons, I need to mill the head to 14:1 compression ratio to reap the benefits of high octane fuel...f*** is that even possible? Okay I guess the cams can't be too crazy then.
13:1 SCR should be good enough to start with, since the improvement in efficiency becomes insignificant around 13-14:1.

Milling the head is not a good idea on an interference DOHC, most SOHC and OHV are fine for milling so long as there is enough clearance. The reason being that DOHC have tighter clearances between pistons and valves so pistons or heads with a smaller combustion chamber are the only ways to raise the SCR without the valves impacting pistons. Unless you're running the serious fuel(E85), maintaining MBT is going to be more important with MPFI.

I'm curious why you're looking to run atkinson/miller. A good economy cam/tune is going to be much simpler and it'll get close to the same efficiency while making more power or less weight vs atkinson or miller cycle, respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #4947
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
13:1 SCR should be good enough to start with, since the improvement in efficiency becomes insignificant around 13-14:1.

Milling the head is not a good idea on an interference DOHC, most SOHC and OHV are fine for milling so long as there is enough clearance. The reason being that DOHC have tighter clearances between pistons and valves so pistons or heads with a smaller combustion chamber are the only ways to raise the SCR without the valves impacting pistons. Unless you're running the serious fuel(E85), maintaining MBT is going to be more important with MPFI.

I'm curious why you're looking to run atkinson/miller. A good economy cam/tune is going to be much simpler and it'll get close to the same efficiency while making more power or less weight vs atkinson or miller cycle, respectively.
That's the thing, compression ratio increases start becoming insignificant at 13:1, but miller/atkinson cycle raises that threshold since your true compression is decreased and so you have a little more room before the decreasing heat ratio, extra pumping losses, and extra friction start messing things up.

The reason for Miller cycle is because Eaton TVS chargers have peak efficiency at a much higher pressure ratio than the 5th gen chargers, which were much better in the 1.2-1.4 range. The TVS chargers hit peak efficiency at 1.6-1.8, so I'm trying to find an excuse to use that extra boost. Miller cycle bleeds off the boost while increasing efficiency Not terribly concerned with "partial boost" losses, I calculated them to be no more than typical highway cruising throttle losses. In 'Murica they don't sell anything smaller than 1.5L anyways.

E85 would be great to do once the engine is actually in the car lol.

How feasible is dry sump btw? Can't you just grab a scavenge pump (any old oil pump?), get an external oil tank, and hook things up?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #4948
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
That's the thing, compression ratio increases start becoming insignificant at 13:1, but miller/atkinson cycle raises that threshold since your true compression is decreased and so you have a little more room before the decreasing heat ratio, extra pumping losses, and extra friction start messing things up.

The reason for Miller cycle is because Eaton TVS chargers have peak efficiency at a much higher pressure ratio than the 5th gen chargers, which were much better in the 1.2-1.4 range. The TVS chargers hit peak efficiency at 1.6-1.8, so I'm trying to find an excuse to use that extra boost. Miller cycle bleeds off the boost while increasing efficiency Not terribly concerned with "partial boost" losses, I calculated them to be no more than typical highway cruising throttle losses. In 'Murica they don't sell anything smaller than 1.5L anyways...
That makes sense. But the stocking timing is extremely retarded on the Prius as is.

And there are <1.5L engines, just got to know where to look. The Suzuki Swift AKA the Geo Metro had an aluminum 1.0L 3 banger with TBI and a 1.334L with MPFI until '99-'01 or so when it was discontinued. I found out that the Samurai shared a bellhousing too so that meant a factory RWD transmissions. Honda has the L15, as you well know, it's just Toyota hasn't had a sub <1.5L engine in a while. You could look at a Second gen Prius engine. Those were 1.5L and should bolt right up to the Toyota Echo or even the Yaris gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #4949
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
That makes sense. But the stocking timing is extremely retarded on the Prius as is.

And there are <1.5L engines, just got to know where to look. The Suzuki Swift AKA the Geo Metro had an aluminum 1.0L 3 banger with TBI and a 1.334L with MPFI until '99-'01 or so when it was discontinued. I found out that the Samurai shared a bellhousing too so that meant a factory RWD transmissions. Honda has the L15, as you well know, it's just Toyota hasn't had a sub <1.5L engine in a while. You could look at a Second gen Prius engine. Those were 1.5L and should bolt right up to the Toyota Echo or even the Yaris gearbox.
Decided against L15 because of SOHC (can't mess with cams easily) and the longer stroke. I'd like to go smaller but at the same time, less displacement makes it much harder to get more power. I'd love to be able to hit 200hp with the supercharger maxed out.

The thing about bolting a Prius engine in is the ECU has all the eCVT functionality integrated into it (I think?). I don't think it would work with a manual transmission. The Prius engine also has weakened rods for mass reduction. I think it would be better to pull everything out of a Yaris and then swap in the pistons and cams. Actually, stealing the cooled EGR off a newer Prius wouldn't be too bad either Since the pistons and cams are coming out, it wouldn't hurt to have the reciprocating assembly balanced, and pistons ceramic coated.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #4950
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So this is whats planned for lunch:

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (08-24-2012), Snoopyalien24 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #4951
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
I have been using Backtrack Linux for a long time for its various hacking tools, and I love it! I run OSX daily though and just boot to a Linux partition to use it! Good stuff!
I'm using Linux Ubuntu 12.4 I think it is - I love it

Hey man, I haven't forgotten about your request, I just haven't been home lately with mt PS machine. It's on my 1st thing to-do list as soon as I make it up on there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #4952
JDM-dono

Drives: WRB BRZ '13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
So this is whats planned for lunch:

Oh great, now I'm hungry and it's 1am over here,.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDM-dono For This Useful Post:
raz0rbladez909 (08-24-2012), S2kphile (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #4953
raz0rbladez909
I'm here for the beer

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS, 1971 Datsun 240z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Car just came out and people are hot and heavy on the knockoff wheels already. *Sigh* What's the rush?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #4954
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
$30k for a FRS here in SoFlo

or a $28k 350z TT

Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4955
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
I'm using Linux Ubuntu 12.4 I think it is - I love it

Hey man, I haven't forgotten about your request, I just haven't been home lately with mt PS machine. It's on my 1st thing to-do list as soon as I make it up on there.

No problemo, buddy! Anticipation builds satisfaction!
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Snoopyalien24 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #4956
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-dono View Post
Oh great, now I'm hungry and it's 1am over here,.....
I wish they had good Ramen here.

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?