follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2026, 09:38 AM   #1
jpeaslee
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 02 Toyota 4Runner
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Manual Transmission getting stuck in gear or won't go into gear

I bought my 13 BRZ last year. It sat for awhile while I was fixing somethings, but these problems have existed intermittently since I bought it.

Sometimes the transmission gets stuck in gear after it's been parked. Sometimes it's virtually impossible to get into neutral, other times it's just very stiff. Typically after that, it's pretty much impossible to get into gear. It just won't go. I can let the clutch out in neutral rev it up a little, clutch in, and it's like I'm hitting a wall. Usually after sitting/fidgeting for 15-20 seconds, it'll suddenly go into gear (usually 3rd or 4th) and then it will go in the rest of the gears fine.

I have an IRP shifter, and for awhile I thought it was related to that. After watching several install vids, and looking at how it's installed in my car, I'm having a hard time understanding how it could be related to the shifter itself.

I tried searching, but couldn't find much reference to this other than just the clunkiness that can exist shifting between 1st and 2nd, and it's definitely not that.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm planning on replacing the trans fluid this weekend to make sure it's not related to that somehow, or to see if there's any crazy shavings or anything in the fluid. Beyond that, I'm kind of at a loss.
jpeaslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2026, 09:51 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Check the adjustment of the clutch pedal.
I'll blame that IRP shifter all day though- put a stock one back in and see how it is.
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2026, 09:52 PM   #3
pope
has a funny hat
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: MI
Posts: 499
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 633 Times in 283 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaslee View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding how it could be related to the shifter itself.
If it's the shifter, and I'm not saying it definitely is, but if it's the shifter it's probably because the stock shifter bolts to the transmission and moves with the transmission, whereas the IRP shifter bolts to the chassis and does not move with the transmission.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2026, 08:08 AM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: 2018 BRZ
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 1,491
Thanked 888 Times in 513 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If it shifts fine (barring a bit of dog misalignment in some gears) with the engine off, the clutch is not fully disengaging. If it has the same issues with the engine off, it might be the shifter. As noted by @pope, the IRP bolts to the chassis instead of the transmission via the carrier, so a misadjusted IRP shifter can result in impossible shifting. Follow the instructions online on how to adjust it.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2026, 11:17 AM   #5
Tokay444
Anti stance.
 
Tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Location: Not Canada
Posts: 1,756
Thanks: 939
Thanked 1,026 Times in 582 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've had the disk lock up to the flywheel when one of the damping springs exploded out of its pocket and got sandwiched between the two.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car getting stuck in gear / not going into gear hamish.frs Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 21 10-21-2020 10:10 PM
Car won't shift into first gear Longjohnstrokems Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 48 09-16-2019 06:46 PM
Won’t go into gear easily. Zaraia Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 10 06-10-2019 11:11 PM
Trouble getting into 1st gear with Manual Transmission when hot MINOCIN Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 3 09-30-2014 12:18 AM
Trouble getting into gear in the morning? ozne99 BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 19 11-22-2012 02:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.