follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2026, 10:29 AM   #113
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Essentially. I verified yesterday during my autox event. The car was a lot easier to predict and correct mid-way thru a power slide out of a gate.

Just sucks that 2nd gear tops off at around 50mph lol. Certainly hurt in areas where I could've carried more speed.
The 4.30 rear gear is known for that particular limit. It's such a love/hate scenario. Unfortunately, you're not legally allowed to change to the 4.10. Such a stupid rule from the SCCA given that all of the 86 cars are classed the same.
RongTurnRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2026, 10:51 PM   #114
cmiovino
Senior Member
 
cmiovino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 494
Thanks: 43
Thanked 363 Times in 224 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Just sucks that 2nd gear tops off at around 50mph lol. Certainly hurt in areas where I could've carried more speed.
I'll have a video I'm posting tomorrow on this.

2nd day of an event here in PA this weekend I could have done half the course in 3rd. Morning was very rainy and I was still pegged in 2nd for 5-6 seconds, but none of the gen 2 DS cars were going to 3rd. Manned up and went to 3rd for that section and was well into 3rd for 5 seconds. Looking back, I could have done it much earlier in another section I was on the limiter and just held it through a slightly slower section a bit to get to the one where I eventually shifted.

My car is set up for smaller lots. 245/40's, no change to the rev limiter, 2017 with the shorter final drive.

I hate going to 3rd when you have to get back into 2nd. Even for doing this as long as I have been, I'm just not skilled enough to heel toe while usually turning at 45-50mph.

ES Miatas were going down to 1st at the start of the runway, 2nd, then 3rd, and holding that almost to the finish. My buddy in a C5 Corvette was hitting 3rd event and they top out at ~75mph in 2nd. It was a fast course to say the least.

Edit: Video is up. Should have went to 3rd in that slalom I was on the limiter and just held it until I downshifted to 2nd at the end of the runway.

__________________
2017 BRZ Limited Performance Pack - Steel Cities Region SCCA / North Hills Sports Car Club

Last edited by cmiovino; 07-01-2026 at 01:09 PM.
cmiovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2026, 09:29 AM   #115
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Im absolutely loving how the car is handling, a lot of it has to do with my level of confidence.


But also, EBC Blue pads are fantastic. They can get quite dusty in between runs, but modulating and predicting the slowdown rate has been pretty great so far.



https://share.google/ibAQhGRkt0ex2OUAw
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2026, 07:19 AM   #116
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Curious to know what pressure you guys run on AO52s with -4 front camber. I think Im at around -2.3/5 on the rear.

The car feels good on a constant 28.5-ish psi both front and rear, the TWI usually is right at the spot you'd like at that pressure.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 05:37 AM   #117
steverife
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 480
Thanks: 62
Thanked 294 Times in 193 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have more camber (closer to 4.7 or 4.8), but generally started around 30/28. I've ran around 32/30 and mid 20's and didn't really notice a ton of difference.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 06:31 AM   #118
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I run- 4.5 front and - 3 rear. I run my RE71-RSs at 27psi front and the rears at 24psi. Of course, I'm running 255's in the front and 285's in the rear. I'm in Xtreme Street so it's a slightly different setup than you.
RongTurnRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 12:18 PM   #119
e1_griego
Senior Member
 
e1_griego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Many
Location: Independence, Ore.
Posts: 722
Thanks: 231
Thanked 409 Times in 246 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
I have more camber (closer to 4.7 or 4.8), but generally started around 30/28. I've ran around 32/30 and mid 20's and didn't really notice a ton of difference.

I'm at -4.5 or, and for yoks I'm at 30/28ish, sometimes 29/27.

Ran RZs for the first time last weekend and ended up at like 25psi square.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 12:32 PM   #120
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Interesting data. I should probably lower the rears a bit since they barely have the camber needed to activate the tire.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2026, 12:18 PM   #121
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
So I've run into a slight problem. Pretty sure the car being out of alignment contributed to it, but here it goes.


On the passenger side front tire, I noticed excessive wear on the inner side of the tire, driver side tire is also affected but not as much.


From what I could gather, this has to do with Toe settings, camber, coilover settings and exterior factors. Toe is close to 0, but it was off for a while, probably since the start of this season where I go to Autox settings around April and don't touch until end of it. What I am thinking is maybe, too, there is an underlying problem, such as a bent suspension component, ever so slight that it causes this issue, or a component that is on its way out.


To recap these are my settings and mods;


Camber: -4.1 Front -2.5 Rear
Toe: Near zero on all 4 tires.


Front: Perrin 22mm swaybar, RCE Adjustable Endlinks, RCE Tarmac 2s with Vorshlag plates.


Rear: Whiteline Adjustable LCAs, Whiteline End Links, OEM Upper Control Arm, Unknown Brand Adjustable Toe Arm (Alignment Shop installed it, I never asked the brand), OEM trail arm.


To end, I should probably get into the habit of taking the car to an alignment shop more often because of it being a daily.


I guess what I am trying to ask is; any components that I should look at/upgrade and if so, which ones do you guys use.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2026, 08:41 AM   #122
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Also, pretty sure adjustable toe arms are not allowed in DST.... So it's looking like I need to switch to OEM.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2026, 09:24 AM   #123
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Also, pretty sure adjustable toe arms are not allowed in DST.... So it's looking like I need to switch to OEM.
Adjustable toe arms are allowed but they need to have a bushing material that aligns with OEM. So, if OEM is rubber (non-metal) then you have to use aftermarket that has that as well. I was running Whiteline toe arms on my BRZ in DST (STX at the time) and now I have them on my wife's WRX that's in GST.
RongTurnRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2026, 10:09 AM   #124
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
Adjustable toe arms are allowed but they need to have a bushing material that aligns with OEM. So, if OEM is rubber (non-metal) then you have to use aftermarket that has that as well. I was running Whiteline toe arms on my BRZ in DST (STX at the time) and now I have them on my wife's WRX that's in GST.

I should've read the rule book and not Google AI. Alright, would the SPC Arms suffice? Whiteline seems a lot more expensive. https://www.spcalignment.com/product/67655


Actually, nvm, SPC is sold as a single unit. Comes out to about the same as Whiteline which is for both.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2026, 11:00 AM   #125
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I should've read the rule book and not Google AI. Alright, would the SPC Arms suffice? Whiteline seems a lot more expensive. https://www.spcalignment.com/product/67655


Actually, nvm, SPC is sold as a single unit. Comes out to about the same as Whiteline which is for both.
Either one would work.

Personally, I paired the Whiteline LCAs which are super beefy and have a lot more adjustment with the Whiteline toe arms.

It definitely costs a bit more money but you can find deals on Amazon and eBay and they work great.
RongTurnRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2026, 02:31 PM   #126
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
Either one would work.

Personally, I paired the Whiteline LCAs which are super beefy and have a lot more adjustment with the Whiteline toe arms.

It definitely costs a bit more money but you can find deals on Amazon and eBay and they work great.

Yep, got those same LCAs. I'll probably want to order to the toe arms sooner rather than later. Whatever it is in the car right now, although adjustable, is probably a no-name brand and likely bad quality.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2025 SCCA Time Trials Rules - General Discussion RongTurnRacing Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 13 01-26-2025 02:42 PM
SCCA T4 Build thread rice_classic Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 278 08-09-2023 12:29 PM
SCCA XSA thread Breadman Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 31 07-14-2023 05:42 PM
2019 CDC & SCCA Autocross Thread JakeRogue Mid-Atlantic 15 05-17-2019 09:58 AM
2015 SCCA Solo Nationals Thread Jawnathin Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 140 09-15-2015 01:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.