follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2026, 06:23 PM   #841
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm going to dig around and see if I happened to take photos. I know I had a couple but I'm not sure they reveal anything. I mostly took them as a comparison to show it really was identical to the fa20 wrx pump
Again very helpful. What size drain line did you use from your turbo? I can't quite tell what size the fitting is in that pump.
RongTurnRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2026, 12:11 PM   #842
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, Ranger, Evora, WCM S2K
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 354
Thanked 1,500 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
Again very helpful. What size drain line did you use from your turbo? I can't quite tell what size the fitting is in that pump.
The AVO one is a #4.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2026, 02:01 PM   #843
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
The AVO one is a #4.
Awesome. Thanks.

I've been chatting with Alan at JDL and he's reasonably convinced that the WRX scavenge pump relies on a reservoir but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I'm using a Garrett GTX2860R GenII and it has what I believe is a 3/8 to 10AN fitting in it (I'm sure of the 10AN side) to 10AN hose to drain to the pan. I'm trying to decide which size hose to use to the scavenge pump. I don't have the pump in hand yet so I haven't seen exactly what I'll be dealing with yet.
RongTurnRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2026, 06:15 PM   #844
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, Ranger, Evora, WCM S2K
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 354
Thanked 1,500 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
Awesome. Thanks.

I've been chatting with Alan at JDL and he's reasonably convinced that the WRX scavenge pump relies on a reservoir but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I'm using a Garrett GTX2860R GenII and it has what I believe is a 3/8 to 10AN fitting in it (I'm sure of the 10AN side) to 10AN hose to drain to the pan. I'm trying to decide which size hose to use to the scavenge pump. I don't have the pump in hand yet so I haven't seen exactly what I'll be dealing with yet.
Yes you never want to suck oil out of a turbo. You want it to drain out, then suck it out of the tank. I have seen setups where they do not have a tank and I guess it works but in my opinion not correct. You can find turbo drain tanks easily. Turbo drains into the tank, tank is vented to the crankcase, scavenge pump suck the oil out.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2026, 06:50 PM   #845
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Yes you never want to suck oil out of a turbo. You want it to drain out, then suck it out of the tank. I have seen setups where they do not have a tank and I guess it works but in my opinion not correct. You can find turbo drain tanks easily. Turbo drains into the tank, tank is vented to the crankcase, scavenge pump suck the oil out.
Would adding a tee to the PCV line on my catch can line to the PCV work as a good vent?
RongTurnRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2026, 10:27 AM   #846
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, Ranger, Evora, WCM S2K
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 354
Thanked 1,500 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
Would adding a tee to the PCV line on my catch can line to the PCV work as a good vent?
Yes on the tank side not the manifold side, What I did was vented mine to the bottom of my Verus AOS so you never have to drain it.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2026, 10:49 AM   #847
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
Awesome. Thanks.

I've been chatting with Alan at JDL and he's reasonably convinced that the WRX scavenge pump relies on a reservoir but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I'm using a Garrett GTX2860R GenII and it has what I believe is a 3/8 to 10AN fitting in it (I'm sure of the 10AN side) to 10AN hose to drain to the pan. I'm trying to decide which size hose to use to the scavenge pump. I don't have the pump in hand yet so I haven't seen exactly what I'll be dealing with yet.
Thanks to Grady for the size, I missed that.
He's right, you should have a reservoir and pull from that. Mine has been fine, but really it's not something perceptible until it's not fine, I'm just being lazy / curious how long the turbo will manage. Look up images of used 2015+ wrx turbos and you'll see the small rectangular reservoir tightly packed underneath it
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2026, 11:02 AM   #848
RongTurnRacing
Senior Member
 
RongTurnRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Turbo
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 529
Thanks: 675
Thanked 346 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Thanks to Grady for the size, I missed that.
He's right, you should have a reservoir and pull from that. Mine has been fine, but really it's not something perceptible until it's not fine, I'm just being lazy / curious how long the turbo will manage. Look up images of used 2015+ wrx turbos and you'll see the small rectangular reservoir tightly packed underneath it
OK, well, next step is to figure out a reservoir. I wonder if I could use a oil catch can and feed the turbo drain into it and use the bottom drain to feed the scavenge pump? I'm not seeing anything other than $150+ turbo oil tanks otherwise.

Thanks all.
RongTurnRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any serious benefit Heat Tapes? Djen Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 22 02-18-2014 03:20 PM
Heat bad for your car? Ways to cool it? BushMan Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 35 08-01-2013 10:15 PM
Misfire with heat? bigjake Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 2 04-28-2013 09:02 PM
Do I Need a Heat Shield? arleewa Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 1 01-08-2013 06:37 AM
Overpipe Heat question Amadeus Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 5 12-19-2012 01:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.