follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2026, 09:12 PM   #281
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
First event of the season.

__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2026, 11:01 AM   #282
smackrel
Full Throttle!
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 17 CBSP Limited PP
Location: TPA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 119
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
I been running those lugs for many years across multiple cars. They do work great! Just keep an eye on the tq as they heat and cool and remember to replace them every year or so
Are lugs considered a wear item? Or is this more for people that are tracking their cars? I will be in the market for lugs soonish and thought these would be a good option and then read you recommend replacing them and was like wha...?
smackrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2026, 11:38 AM   #283
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackrel View Post
Are lugs considered a wear item? Or is this more for people that are tracking their cars? I will be in the market for lugs soonish and thought these would be a good option and then read you recommend replacing them and was like wha...?
They are in a sense. The popular opinion is that the Subaru lug quality is pretty bad where they can snap from someone overtightening, most folks use the impact for everything, from removing to installing. I assume that given how impact guns differ in settings, it could easily overdo it and snap the stud.

I got the ARP ones and they are sitting in a box. If I snap a stud, then I know its time to replace all of them.

To mitigate damage, I adopted the following wheel/tire process;

1. Use breaker bar to loosen nuts while tire is on the ground.
2. Lift car.
3. Remove lug nuts using impact gun.
4. Remove wheel and place new one in.
5. Start threading the lug nuts initially by hand.
6. Use impact gun to slowly finish threading and stop at the first knock or three.
7. Lower the car just enough so that they tire is making contact with the ground but cannot move from torquing.
8. Finish threading the lug nuts with a torque wrench set between 85-90ft-lbs.
9. Lower car completely.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2026, 02:10 PM   #284
autoracer86
Senior Member
 
autoracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Ireland
Posts: 703
Thanks: 648
Thanked 519 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackrel View Post
Are lugs considered a wear item? Or is this more for people that are tracking their cars? I will be in the market for lugs soonish and thought these would be a good option and then read you recommend replacing them and was like wha...?
They are definitely a wear item for aluminum. Generic steel ones are probably fine to run “forever”
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2026, 10:58 AM   #285
smackrel
Full Throttle!
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 17 CBSP Limited PP
Location: TPA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 119
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have about the exact same process for removing installing wheels. First time I pulled a wheel on mine I snapped a stud taking off. I could tell by the colors of several of the other lugs this is not the first time for this car lol
smackrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2026, 10:18 AM   #286
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Currently looking into upgrading from Duralast rotors to DBA Street T2s. This should be fine paired with pads that can allow better modulation right?

I currently have StopTech Street Touring pads. I'd be open to changing pads depending on recommendations.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2026, 06:02 PM   #287
autoracer86
Senior Member
 
autoracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Ireland
Posts: 703
Thanks: 648
Thanked 519 Times in 323 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Currently looking into upgrading from Duralast rotors to DBA Street T2s. This should be fine paired with pads that can allow better modulation right?

I currently have StopTech Street Touring pads. I'd be open to changing pads depending on recommendations.
I can’t see those rotors doing much of anything over a cheap blank.

Not too sure what most use for auto x these days but the hawk hps used to be pretty good if I recall.
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2026, 12:29 PM   #288
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I am dreaming for a set of Yokohamas RZ-IIs in Racing Bronze. Nengun has them for a total of $1300. The killer is over $500 in shipping plus almost $300 in tariffs.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2026, 12:46 PM   #289
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I am dreaming for a set of Yokohamas RZ-IIs in Racing Bronze. Nengun has them for a total of $1300. The killer is over $500 in shipping plus almost $300 in tariffs.
I was going to suggest Blackhawk's ebay store but they aren't on there They have them on the site but it's the same deal, they just don't warn you about the fees
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2026, 01:07 PM   #290
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I was going to suggest Blackhawk's ebay store but they aren't on there They have them on the site but it's the same deal, they just don't warn you about the fees
Blackhawk in that sense is worse. They make you pay shipping fees, which is way more expensive than Nengun, and on top of that, those shipping fees do not cover tariffs. You get a nice email from say; DHL, UPS, saying how you have to pay customs fees before you get the package. For the last two items I got from B.H, it was almost exactly the same amount I paid for shipping fees. So $1300, +$800, and another $800.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2026, 01:13 PM   #291
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Blackhawk in that sense is worse. They make you pay shipping fees, which is way more expensive than Nengun, and on top of that, those shipping fees do not cover tariffs. You get a nice email from say; DHL, UPS, saying how you have to pay customs fees before you get the package. For the last two items I got from B.H, it was almost exactly the same amount I paid for shipping fees. So $1300, +$800, and another $800.
Yeah, I was hoping the ebay store was better about it Damn
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2026, 11:48 AM   #292
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Sill hunting for daily wheels, so I don't have to be on Tee-hees, but in the meantime I have to chase a weird screech that most likely is coming out of the end links. Is sort of fine on the 225 tires, but gets really bad on 245 tire/wheel combo to the point where there are scratches on the inside of the wheel.

Ordered a set of RCE adjustable end links so maybe that takes care of it. PLus will be installing new rotors and brake pads. Went with EBC Blue and Stoptech rotors. The rotors come out to basically be OEM+ since they were only about five bucks more than OEM rotors.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2026, 02:28 PM   #293
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Sill hunting for daily wheels, so I don't have to be on Tee-hees, but in the meantime I have to chase a weird screech that most likely is coming out of the end links. Is sort of fine on the 225 tires, but gets really bad on 245 tire/wheel combo to the point where there are scratches on the inside of the wheel.

Ordered a set of RCE adjustable end links so maybe that takes care of it. PLus will be installing new rotors and brake pads. Went with EBC Blue and Stoptech rotors. The rotors come out to basically be OEM+ since they were only about five bucks more than OEM rotors.
I have Stoptechs on mine, they are sufficient! Albeit, heavy as a bastard.
"Tee-hees" is hilarious, I'm going to keep that in my pocket.
Depending on your taste, stock 2008-2014 wrx wheels easily fit a 225-235 and (I think) look awesome. You just need a 25mm spacer before you can see them
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2026, 09:51 AM   #294
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 3,490
Thanks: 1,605
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,098 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
New rotors and EBC Blue pads installed. Along with RCE adjustable Front End Links. Turns out the old ones were scratching the wall to the point of stripping the metal every time I turned the wheel.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.