follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2023, 07:33 PM   #15
Ultramaroon
not playing cards
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
No. It assumes it's not made using surplus crop and instead needs to clear all new land... As mentioned, it looks for a way to say what they want to say.
Ah, yeah.... I see the logic there too. Bottom line - we're just too damn inventive for our own good and there are too many of us infecting the planet.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:38 PM   #16
Sapphireho
Famous Potatoes
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ah, yeah.... I see the logic there too. Bottom line - we're just too damn inventive for our own good and there are too many of us infecting the planet.
I knew there was a reason I hated my neighbors.

Fuckers.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:12 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
not playing cards
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I knew there was a reason I hated my neighbors.

Fuckers.
lollollol
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:16 PM   #18
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Not news. Takes way more energy to grow and process than just pumping/burning oil.

I didn't read the article. Did I get it right?
I read part of the actual study at work when it came out last year. The 'E' from EH&S in my job title means I have to!
They go into great depth to capture every single little aspect of the farming part right down to how much farmers fart. As said they also assume it was forest before they started to farm not existing land nor that farers use crop rotation to keep the soil up more than just dumping chemicals on like it was 1967 again.
The oil part they just sort of skip a couple of minor things like refining and transporting crud to be refined in the first place.
I gave up on reading the paper about half way through as it was so blatantly skewed. They should have to reveal who sponsors these studies as I bet there was the word "petroleum" in the company name someplace.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:20 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 11,327
Thanks: 35,240
Thanked 13,677 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
a 24% 'increase' really doesn't sound like all that much annually, especially if they're not factoring in gasoline 'ground-to-pump' costs.
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #20
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Funny how old capped off oil wells are suddenly full again. Earth makes more. Go figure.
Not at the rate we are using it though...
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth ten thousand pictures.
Also: "Build Thread"
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:38 PM   #21
Sapphireho
Famous Potatoes
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Not at the rate we are using it though...
Enough for my life. I'm good.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:44 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
not playing cards
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I read part of the actual study at work when it came out last year. The 'E' from EH&S in my job title means I have to!
They go into great depth to capture every single little aspect of the farming part right down to how much farmers fart. As said they also assume it was forest before they started to farm not existing land nor that farers use crop rotation to keep the soil up more than just dumping chemicals on like it was 1967 again.
The oil part they just sort of skip a couple of minor things like refining and transporting crud to be refined in the first place.
I gave up on reading the paper about half way through as it was so blatantly skewed. They should have to reveal who sponsors these studies as I bet there was the word "petroleum" in the company name someplace.
I bet if you had bothered reading the whole thing it would've balanced out.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:50 PM   #23
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Enough for my life. I'm good.
I suppose "The end is coming quicker than you think" might be taken the wrong way here...
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth ten thousand pictures.
Also: "Build Thread"
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #24
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,596
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,704 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My car runs better on it. I don't care
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:27 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
not playing cards
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I suppose "The end is coming quicker than you think" might be taken the wrong way here...
That's not for you to decide.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:18 PM   #26
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER
 
Clipdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
This thread makes me want to run E85.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:41 AM   #27
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I bet if you had bothered reading the whole thing it would've balanced out.
I read the summary. It was not going to balance out.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 02:23 AM   #28
Ultramaroon
not playing cards
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I read the summary. It was not going to balance out.
Too subtle? 'Twas the joke. I must be having an off night.


__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
iracestilltyping


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flex Fuel Gauge and Boost Control based on Ethanol Content DeliciousTuning Forced Induction 6 10-11-2022 05:37 PM
Running the FRS on corn juice! Fab Racing FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 5 05-23-2016 04:46 AM
Running on corn juice in Canada Fab Racing FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 4 05-04-2016 12:47 PM
Truth about gasoline, ethanol and octane?! Mikeez Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 16 08-30-2014 07:04 PM
netflix streaming finds fatoni Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 23 07-26-2012 05:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.