follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_garage View Post
You can probably find all this in speed secrets - I haven't read the book but I spoke with Ross recently and have my own expertise here

It's easy to saturate tires, it's hard to drive right at the edge of the traction circle, which is where the peak grip is.

If you're turning your wheel more and more and more and getting no more rotation, it's because you're already past the peak - no matter how far you turn the wheel the tire is gonna generate the same amount of force. Unwind the wheel.

If you're spinning your rears but you don't wanna spin your rears, lift a little.

If you're trail braking but somehow still understeering, lift off the brakes or unwind the wheel. If you're getting a lot of power oversteer, you got back to the gas too fast while the car is still rotating.

This is all improved with seat time.

Eventually you start to understand how to maximize vertical load on the axle you care about - brake or lift to shift weight forward and give front axle more grip potential. hit the gas to shift weight backwards and straighten the car out.

In the below plots, Fy-SA is lateral grip, you can see the peaks increase with load increases (going from blue to red is higher vertical load). Same with drive/brake on the Fx-SR (slip ratio) plot. Bigger peaks = bigger friction circle.
Notice also, that the force drops off after the peak.

Side note I've heard that the falkens heat cycle out quickly, way before tread is fully worn.

Reciting theory, and then applying it while under stress are two completely different things. Especially while learning. Having someone in the car observing and talking you through the session and then breaking down your sessions is a total game changer.

The RT’s drop off a bit after the first cycle but don’t last long enough to cycle out.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:24 PM   #16
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
. But don't mistake being at your personal limit to be the same as being on the absolute limit.

^^^^this. This is where coaching comes in.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:23 PM   #17
andys_garage

Drives: 2022 GR86 Premium Track bRed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Reciting theory, and then applying it while under stress are two completely different things.

Fully agree, op seemed like he wanted to understand the theory a little better to me. The practical advice is that it sounds like he's asking too much of his tires.
andys_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_garage View Post
Fully agree, op seemed like he wanted to understand the theory a little better to me. The practical advice is that it sounds like he's asking too much of his tires.
My bad, mistook you for the OP.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:35 PM   #19
raisingAnarchy

Drives: '20 Tundra, '84 SpecE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk5 View Post
As far as coaching, I agree 100% with your point. Coaching that I’ve found were , as I said on my original post, either free/cheap and not very useful or super expensive like fly the guy out to the track, pay for hotel and pay for his time kinda of deals. I guess I can try to look for opportunities in between the two.

You should give your complementary NASA (national auto sport association) membership a shot especially if you're near SoCal. I'm in the great lakes region, and I cannot believe how cheap your NASA events are in SoCal.

https://members.drivenasa.com/events/3734#register-sec

NASA is generally regarded as having a very high quality driver's ed program, focused on getting you into racing of some form, or instructing. If $300 for a weekend of track time +instruction is more expensive than what you're paying now, then DM me where you live so I can move there too lol

If NASA doesn't do it for you, Gridlife, PCA, AudiClub, BMWCCA, and Chin Track Days all offer driver's ed programs open to anyone with any car.
raisingAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,182 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
You should give your complementary NASA (national auto sport association) membership a shot especially if you're near SoCal. I'm in the great lakes region, and I cannot believe how cheap your NASA events are in SoCal.

https://members.drivenasa.com/events/3734#register-sec

NASA is generally regarded as having a very high quality driver's ed program, focused on getting you into racing of some form, or instructing. If $300 for a weekend of track time +instruction is more expensive than what you're paying now, then DM me where you live so I can move there too lol

If NASA doesn't do it for you, Gridlife, PCA, AudiClub, BMWCCA, and Chin Track Days all offer driver's ed programs open to anyone with any car.
SoCal has uniquely cheap track time. $300/day will get you a track day at Laguna Seca!

If you don't mind low quality seat time, sub-$100 Streets of Willow days are a thing.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
raisingAnarchy (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #21
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,254 Times in 678 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
And four days at Laguna Seca costs the same as a season pass in Colorado.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #22
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Shit now I know I’ve been away from the track too long, my last Laguna track day was $175
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #23
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm new to the RWD platform but I would say the car starts to 'feel light' at the end where you're getting some slip angle. You may be able to visually see the change in direction as well.

I don't know how to explain the "how" but being able to feel the slip angle or limit is based on your sensitivity as a driver. Being able to see/feel the cues would depend on your experience, skill, and talent.
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #24
andyk5

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
SoCal has uniquely cheap track time. $300/day will get you a track day at Laguna Seca!

If you don't mind low quality seat time, sub-$100 Streets of Willow days are a thing.
Most track days at Laguna “that I have seen” been about $400 a day.

I have never been there but my buddies who have done it on street bikes swear its the best track ever etc…

What makes Laguna Seca better then a place like buttonwillow. I assume facilities, maybe size of track and layout?

Also I am all for a $100 SoW track day, though its probably gonna have 7+ run groups with 1 hour 45 minute between each session.
andyk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #25
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,254 Times in 678 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
What makes Laguna Seca better then a place like buttonwillow. I assume facilities, maybe size of track and layout?
In my opinion it's not better. And the four other Rocky Mountain 86CUPers I drove it with agree. Both are fun tracks, but in very different ways.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:16 PM   #26
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I think overall Sonoma is the best track in CA. But BW is a close second and way closer for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #27
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Also I am all for a $100 SoW track day, though its probably gonna have 7+ run groups with 1 hour 45 minute between each session.
Laguna holds a lot of racing history and for many, that is the allure. Personally, I love Laguna. I base my driving progress on how I'm doing there. You HAVE to hit your marks there or the lap is toast. I like all Calif tacks except Streets. Many of the cheap days there bring out some very questionable drivers and cars.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #28
andyk5

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Laguna holds a lot of racing history and for many, that is the allure. Personally, I love Laguna. I base my driving progress on how I'm doing there. You HAVE to hit your marks there or the lap is toast. I like all Calif tacks except Streets. Many of the cheap days there bring out some very questionable drivers and cars.
How dare you call me Questionable!!!!
andyk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyk5 For This Useful Post:
TommyW (09-18-2022)