follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
J2M555

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Cold start - engine knock sounds

Recently started getting an engine knocking sound after a long road trip. I checked oil levels before leaving, around halfway level on the dipstick on a warm engine, and drove 10hrs over a couple days, listened for sounds, no issues.

Starting the car to leave after a week and noticed right away loud knocking for 2-3 seconds and then it stopped and idled normal. Turned off the car and checked oil level, this is still a cold engine, only on 10 seconds or so and the oil level is at the low mark. The stick had oil on it after checking several times, but level was right at low, could see the line.

Added just a little oil, filled to 1/4 of the way, I know it'll rise once heated. Turn the car back on and no knocking on start or any odd noises after, after 5 minutes idle, oil is at halfway on the stick again, I add even more to get it to 3/4 full just to be sure, but don't want to overfill.

Drove back home and made it fine, the car was my only way back, started this morning and the knocking returns, but much less than last time, and for only a second. I took a video of the second start.

I fear during the trip I may have simply run out of oil at some point, thinned out and burned up a bearing somewhere. Confused why it stops if it's a bearing, perhaps it's just starting. I'm also shocked it would've burned that much oil to do that, even on a road trip. This was also highway the whole time, aside from giving it some gas to get on, was pretty much between 2-3k rpm the whole way.

I do plan to go to the dealership for an appointment, prepping for the worst, wondering if anyone has had experience with engine rebuilds done from the dealership, and what kind of cost I should prep for to get the car back on the road.
J2M555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
TrashFRieS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
If you’re preparing for the worse, my total for a new short block and oil pan was close to $9k after I sent a rod, and the total time taking around 3 weeks between drop off and pick up. I’m experiencing a similar ticking sound but I’ve been told it’s most likely the fuel pump. So I’d definitely recommend getting the diag done before you panic /too/ much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrashFRieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
J2M555

Garage
Thanks for the figure, I'm hoping it turns out to be something else. I scheduled a dealer visit, so at this point I'm just going to have to see what they say.

After the new short block, have you had any further issues with the engine since?
Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,976 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, J2M555, I can't hear anything on your video that is unusual -

I would suggest you change the oil and filter and fill it up to the top line on the dipstick.

See how it runs then.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A couple times in the lifetime of my car, I've had a startup knock on my car when it got hot out. Like when the car had been sitting out in 90-100* weather. I think its when you have bad gas or something is just out of range for a second during startup, like maybe exhaust VVT out of range.

I'd try some fresh fuel and keep testing on it, record stuff with a camera, put a screwdriver to the engine and put an ear to the end of it, and maybe get a OBD reader and take a reading on both AVCS advance angles.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 01:11 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,976 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
A couple times in the lifetime of my car, I've had a startup knock on my car when it got hot out. Like when the car had been sitting out in 90-100* weather. I think its when you have bad gas or something is just out of range for a second during startup, like maybe exhaust VVT out of range.

I'd try some fresh fuel and keep testing on it, record stuff with a camera, put a screwdriver to the engine and put an ear to the end of it, and maybe get a OBD reader and take a reading on both AVCS advance angles.
NO - WAIT!

Before you do that with a FA-20 engine, put HD earplugs into your ears, or that will make you DEAF!

Without the earplugs, it would be like pressing your ear on the cover of an M-60 MG and firing full automatic. -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Decep (06-01-2022), Ultramaroon (06-01-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #7
J2M555

Garage
Wanted to get back to this post since it's been some time now and I've been listening and looking for more issues.

I eventually was able to get a dealer visit, they checked it over for several days, cold starts sitting for a day or so and couldn't find anything wrong. They said oil level was low but nothing damaging, so they changed the oil and saw nothing wrong in there as well.

Before getting the dealer visit I did go through a few tanks of gas and each time the sound became less and less. I have gotten and OBD reader, but haven't checked the values yet.

If nothing else turns up I'm suspecting a bad tank of gas and it worked its way through the system, possibly causing the slight knock I heard, or that I thought I heard.

Car seems fine now, oil level is fine, but the sounds this car makes have had me rushing to this forum many times, and appears to have gotten me again.
The Following User Says Thank You to J2M555 For This Useful Post:
gcmak (07-15-2022)