follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #519
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 8,481
Thanks: 22,744
Thanked 9,441 Times in 4,849 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
A used rear quarter is only like $600... I'm sure there is quite a bit of labor though. Although maybe it's small enough damage they could just do some bodywork. Bumper and trunk are just swaps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #520
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 11,327
Thanks: 35,240
Thanked 13,677 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
ouch.
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #521
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The saddest part of this particular car is that it was actually a pretty special one. It was one of the "First 86" delivered to the customers during a big ceremony.
Yep, first one registered in Georgia. I'm sure its not the first of those first ones to be in this shape though.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #522
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Location: San Marcos, CA, USA
Posts: 2,610
Thanks: 4,882
Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,027 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
So, this happened this morning.

I was about 5 miles from home waiting to turn right stopped at a light. Lady pulled up behind me in a Suburban and stopped close enough she couldn't see the tail end of my car. She said she saw a car go by out of the corner of her eye, thought it was me and moved forward. Had I not had my foot on the brake it probably wouldn't have been as bad.

Fortunately, she quickly admitted it was her fault, called the police, and was found at fault.

As far as I can tell there is no fender or trunk floor damage. I'm guessing it will still end up totaled though. The fender looks creased in this but that is a reflection of the trunck.

More to come.

Bummer. You're one of the first OGs. Sorry to see this.
__________________

Build thread:Here
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:59 AM   #523
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente
 
finch1750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 11,597
Thanks: 9,405
Thanked 9,414 Times in 5,272 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
A few years ago I got rear ended bad, trunk floor damage and aftermarket parts even. Used prices were no where near this high and it wasnt totalled so hopefully you'll be OK.

I was around 150k miles at the time too
__________________

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:24 AM   #524
alex87f
Meow
 
alex87f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: Focus ST mk4
Location: France
Posts: 553
Thanks: 333
Thanked 470 Times in 247 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You're looking at:
-trunk lid + plate light trim piece
-bumper cover
-taillight
-trunk seal

And maybe:
-trunk hinge
-sheetmetal pulling around the taillight (hoping the hinge mounting points haven't moved)
-trunk lock

+ painting for the bumper, lid, trim piece and partial quarter panel

My highly unprofessional opinion would be that totaled vs. not totaled will depend upon whether / how much the sheetmetal behind the taillight & around the hinges mounting point has moved.

Good luck!
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:33 AM   #525
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
My highly unprofessional opinion would be that totaled vs. not totaled will depend upon whether / how much the sheetmetal behind the taillight & around the hinges mounting point has moved.

Good luck!
I looked at it more closely last night. The area of the quarter panel behind the left tail light is definitely tweaked, probably a half an inch. Trunk floor looked OK. All damage is to the left side. Right side didn't move.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #526
Dirty Harry
Senior Member
 
Dirty Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 649
Thanks: 599
Thanked 681 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I had planned on keeping the GEN1 into retirement, but…
I’m so sorry that happened to you, really sucks. But if you’re nearing retirement don’t let the journey end here, I’m sure there are plenty of good gen 1 cars (knowing you’re not a fan of the gen 2 looks) still around. I hope you get back into another one. You don’t want to look back in 10 years, once there are a sea of EVs and think if only I bought an 86 10 years ago…

At least you weren’t injured, still sucks though.

Good luck with your next car whatever you choose…
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #527
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I’m so sorry that happened to you, really sucks. But if you’re nearing retirement don’t let the journey end here, I’m sure there are plenty of good gen 1 cars (knowing you’re not a fan of the gen 2 looks) still around. I hope you get back into another one. You don’t want to look back in 10 years, once there are a sea of EVs and think if only I bought an 86 10 years ago…
I planned on keeping it as a "toy" since it is long ago paid for and is still running great, but I had already been considering what I would replace it with as a DD/primary car since it is already a little long in the tooth at 198K miles. Ultimately, in the end, I can't cost justify buying another one for that purpose.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #528
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Well, this is fun.

The other party's insurance (State Farm) has accepted liability, so all I have to do is pick a repair shop to get the estimate and schedule (hopefully) the work. I called 6 of the repair shops on their list, which correspond with the local ones to me that I would want to use.

The earliest I could get an estimate is 2 weeks, which happened to be my preferred shop. The other 5 were between 3 and 7 weeks, just to get an estimate!
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 AM   #529
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB
 
wbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 4,647
Thanks: 1,364
Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,645 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Dadhawk, apparently parts issues have held up many repairs long past the allowed rental period on many people's insurance. Under the circumstances, if you are allowed a rental for a specific duration you might want to discuss how they would remedy an abnormally prolonged repair duration.
__________________
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #530
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Dadhawk, apparently parts issues have held up many repairs long past the allowed rental period on many people's insurance. Under the circumstances, if you are allowed a rental for a specific duration you might want to discuss how they will remedy a prolonged repair duration.
State Farm has already agreed to a rental. I'm supposed to pick it up this weekend. I wasn't going to bother (I have a backup) but with this delay I'd rather not be commuting 80 miles a day in my Suburban.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #531
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
State Farm has already agreed to a rental. I'm supposed to pick it up this weekend. I wasn't going to bother (I have a backup) but with this delay I'd rather not be commuting 80 miles a day in my Suburban.
https://turo.com/ca/en/exotic-luxury.../united-states
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #532
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Checked Atlanta, quite a few options, although most are Escalades, Teslas and Corvettes....

There are a couple of Huracans, a few I8s and nice Rolls Royce Ghost though...


I'm sure State Farm would cover those....
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Tags
dadhawk, first86


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.