follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #15
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Wow, look like we have an expert on the topic of blind spot monitoring.

Can I read your published papers?

Hehe. Just kidding. I do wonder if they have stats on accidents with blind spot monitoring cars vs cars without it. The assumption is it would be better, not worse, but without data its hard to know.
I wish lol.

All I got is experience using them since 2008 because of the Volvo S40s and C30 using their BLIT system, I think they stopped calling them that now. Saw their limitations and over the years more and more systems coming around and a few of those limitations still lingering but no doubt they've improved just a bit too slowly IMO... maybe it'll move more quickly now this is more common tech even on more basic cars.

As for stats, I don't know if anyone has done anything. I'd assume BSM is better than none especially with modern cars with full safety suites that take away more driver control. Fantastic for the bad drivers who might cause less damage lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
Blighty (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #16
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
"Relying on tech"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/23/22798880/polestar-5-precept-electric-sedan-tease-2024

The "production-ready concept" of the Polestar 5 "Precept" looks like it keeping the concept's lack of a rear window. They can just use cameras to accomplish the same thing.

We are probably 10~15 years away from Mercedes or Bentley releasing a model without any external glass. Metal would better insulate the interior, making it quieter and safer, and they can just put screens on the inside to project whatever the passengers want to see.

Stuff like that will eventually trickle down to the mass market, presuming it works well enough. So maybe 25 years from now?

Last edited by mazeroni; 12-07-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: grammar
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #17
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I think the new 2022 Lexus NX (or was it the Tundra?) uses a camera for the rear view mirror. But it also has the option to turn it off so you can just use the regular mirror.

I remember watching a youtube review and they mentioned a flaw is due to where the camera was positioned (behind the window) so it effectively makes it pointless when things can get on the window and still obstruct your view lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #18
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Properly set mirrors and a small fisheye. I don't trust those BSM's I have one on my new Honda CRV and the whole car in general has too much crap on it . It basically drives itself on the freeway.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #19
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I think the new 2022 Lexus NX (or was it the Tundra?) uses a camera for the rear view mirror. But it also has the option to turn it off so you can just use the regular mirror.

I remember watching a youtube review and they mentioned a flaw is due to where the camera was positioned (behind the window) so it effectively makes it pointless when things can get on the window and still obstruct your view lol.
C8 has a backward facing roof camera which avoids that problem. Does a great job relative to the tiny view through the back window. Harder on the eyes though since it requires near-field vision.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #20
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Properly set mirrors and a small fisheye. I don't trust those BSM's I have one on my new Honda CRV and the whole car in general has too much crap on it . It basically drives itself on the freeway.
Its why i like our BMW's few safety assist stuff. We got it before the full on techno-self driving crap you see nowadays, so its kind of primitive, passive and "first gen" in comparison:

-Our lane keep only vibrates the steering wheel if you drift off the lines. It also does sometimes on lane changes and it does NOT work in winter...since theres no lines.
-We dont have radar cruise or the emergency forward stop or whatever. So if we end up driving too close to someone in front of us or change lanes (and depends on the speed) a big red car icon flashes on the HUD to indicate "obstruction ahead slow the F down!" It doesnt stop for us so we have to hammer the brakes.
-no blind spot monitoring.

Basically just "pay attention you dolt!" warnings.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #21
azndavepgh

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The rear cross-traffic alert is helpful in parking lots where SUVs are blocking your line of sight.
azndavepgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #22
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
We are probably 10~15 years away from Mercedes or Bentley releasing a model without any external glass. Metal would better insult the interior, making it quieter and safer, and they can just put screens on the inside to project whatever the passengers want to see.

Stuff like that will eventually trickle down to the mass market, presuming it works well enough. So maybe 25 years from now?
See, my biggest thought with this is that we are then relying on the electronics for that system to never fail, as there IS NO BACKUP (which would be you actually using the mirrors and windows to see). Seems like a scary concept to me.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #23
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
See, my biggest thought with this is that we are then relying on the electronics for that system to never fail, as there IS NO BACKUP (which would be you actually using the mirrors and windows to see). Seems like a scary concept to me.

I can't remember what game/reality show it was,either Road Rules or Bull Run or something like that,but there was a challenge where they covered all of the windows of a car and had a screen on the inside of the windshield. It was trying to mimic a video game,like Gran Turismo. They were on an AutoX course and were trying not to hit cones and get a good finish time.

Long story short,every one of them had a difficult time driving by using just a screen. Unless this sealed windowless car is completely autonomous,I don't ever see this being a common thing,just like flying cars.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #24
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
One thing about BSM is it doesn't work for fast approaching cars. If you're relying solely on BSM, you might end up cutting a fast approaching car off or cause an accident. Just something to keep in mind.

For me, BSM wasn't a huge factor when deciding trim level since with my FR-S I could adjust my mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Assuming the same will be true with the gen 2.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #25
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
One thing about BSM is it doesn't work for fast approaching cars. If you're relying solely on BSM, you might end up cutting a fast approaching car off or cause an accident. Just something to keep in mind.

For me, BSM wasn't a huge factor when deciding trim level since with my FR-S I could adjust my mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Assuming the same will be true with the gen 2.
In my experience so far (~200 miles) on the '22, BSM is pretty conservative when it comes to fast moving cars, beeping at you when 1 downshift is easily enough to change lanes without holding up traffic behind you.

Rear-cross traffic alert has also been nice, maybe I'll start pulling into spots instead of backing into them
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tenderization For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #26
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderization View Post
In my experience so far (~200 miles) on the '22, BSM is pretty conservative when it comes to fast moving cars, beeping at you when 1 downshift is easily enough to change lanes without holding up traffic behind you.

Rear-cross traffic alert has also been nice, maybe I'll start pulling into spots instead of backing into them
Oh ok that's good to know they set it conservatively. I haven't driven a 2022 model yet so you would definitely know better than me. I've got two cars with BSM (non-Subaru) and both of them only light up when a car is right in the blindspot (as opposed to further back and approaching fast). These differences in how BSM functions between manufacturers is another reason I only use it as a failsafe.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 12-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #27
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Oh ok that's good to know they set it conservatively. I haven't driven a 2022 model yet so you would definitely know better than me. I've got two cars with BSM (non-Subaru) and both of them only light up when a car is right in the blindspot (as opposed to further back and approaching fast). These differences in how BSM functions between manufacturers is another reason I only use it as a failsafe.

It might not catch things coming at you at autobahn speeds, but it's been good so far at light-moderate socal traffic.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #28
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderization View Post
It might not catch things coming at you at autobahn speeds, but it's been good so far at light-moderate socal traffic.
How are you enjoying the car so far?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build