|
|
#1 |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
Starting a thread for things we learn. Anything. GO
Today I learned that cam lobe edges are extremely sharp. Edit- added photo for @gen3v8
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block Last edited by DarkPira7e; 01-14-2021 at 03:59 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
30 minute maintenance
Join Date: Oct 2020
Drives: My18 wrxsti
Location: Botany Bay
Posts: 1,178
Thanks: 769
Thanked 1,236 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
Dude I could post something a couple times a week. My chimp brain is always learning something new. Like did you know you could make fire rubbing two pieces of wood together? Amazing.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
Dude watch your hands when you are retiming the engine. You time passenger side bank first with the cams on the base circle but then have to rotate the driver side cams so they are under valve spring tension when you put that side together and they will want to flip over on you.
EDIT: Actually I think I am confusing the FA with the EJ. On the FA you assemble the timing for the passenger bank, then rotate the crank set the timing on the driver cams on the base circle too but they are not set at TDC timing. The EJ you have one or both driver side cams off the base circle since it has one timing belt to run the whole thing and each bank can't be timed separately It has been almost a year since I have had one apart.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 01-14-2021 at 06:00 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Airborne at your service
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 6,422
Thanks: 4,582
Thanked 5,716 Times in 2,995 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
|
Today I learned I'm not alpha as fuck
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Today, I learned from my 4 ager granddaughter how old I was.
I have a bad habit of using a paper towel tube as a bullhorn to startle my 12 year old granddaughter. Today, as I was engrossed reading on the forum, the 12 year old got me back but good. I bolted back from the computer, about falling off my chair and yelled a very loud F word! Th 4 ager scolded the 12 year old and said it wasn't nice to scare me that way because I was an old man, and then came up to me, put her arms around me and asked "pa-pa are you alright - are you sure you are alright?" As she walked away, mrs humfrz asked the 4 ager "how old do you think your pa-pa is?" She replied "oh, about a 100".
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Sarcastic SOB
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 4,647
Thanks: 1,364
Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,645 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
|
Cute
__________________
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 | |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 6,314
Thanks: 8,013
Thanked 6,577 Times in 3,679 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
Rust bucket enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Just to re-affirm though; this post isn't meant to be about me, but it's a place for people to post what THEY'VE learned. I don't mind being picked on for being a dumb ass, but I also want people to share things in the spirit of learning. Here's something I learned today- Radium fuel rails for our cars have a bottom port for the fuel pulse damper- but Radium doesn't sell an aftermarket damper for that location. They want you to put one on the end of the rail, or in-line.
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 6,314
Thanks: 8,013
Thanked 6,577 Times in 3,679 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
|
Well, I learned that bleeding stops after a few minutes.. but if it's your phone/keyboard operating finger then you're fucked..
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
The Dictater
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 9,697
Thanks: 26,779
Thanked 12,750 Times in 6,320 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
|
Today I learned that a Rubik's Cube has 26 blocks (8 corners, 6 centers, 12 edges). I only found 24...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
Vendor sent us a sample voltage gauge. What I learned was that this is a zener diode wired for over voltage protection. I thought it was for reverse current protection but that is a Schottky diode that you need for that. I think everyone can guess what happened.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| OFT KC learned | Nah | Software Tuning | 3 | 03-17-2016 12:52 AM |
| Learned some interesting things about my car today... | SisterBlue22 | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 12 | 08-09-2015 02:23 PM |
| Everything I know, I learned from the internet. | Chillswitch | Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) | 17 | 01-09-2015 02:31 PM |
| KC learned, what does it mean? | wparsons | Software Tuning | 4 | 08-15-2014 11:37 PM |
| Today I learned (TIL) | IloveBaldEagles | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 5 | 03-16-2013 08:15 PM |