follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmuscle View Post
Wow.. lots of nature folks here. I thought I was old at 39 around here. Lol
My oldest kid is older than that!
korhun (10-11-2019), Sapphireho (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #30
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My boss tells me what needs to be done.

I tell others to do it.

After that it's coffee and internets, maybe some netflix, a gym session, maybe a walk around to see what's happening, after that it's back to the internets until it's time to knock off.

Rinse and repeat.

I'm taking early retirement next year, if the Mrs lets me, she a fair bit younger than me and thinks I'll get myself into mischief with too much free time, I'm gonna need to get a real hobby to fill in the days, there is only so much web surfing you can do.

Last edited by 86MLR; 10-11-2019 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Spelin
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #31
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
Hi there, Analogman. I'm 65 and loving my FRS! There's plenty of oldsters on this forum. By the way, are you a fan of Joe Walsh - just wondering because his latest album has a cut called Analog Man - written with his good buddy Jeff Lynne (of Traveling Wilburys fame) and my favorite recording artist of all time. Anyway, enjoy your 86, and welcome to the forum!
winstonscifi, ls1ac, jcw99, thank you for making me feel that I'm not the oldest BRZ driver in the world (though I think I'm in the upper tenth percentile, at least in age if nothing else).

winstonscifi, I'm a Joe Walsh fan, but that's not where my handle came from. I just picked it because in some things, I'm kind of an anti-technology neo-Luddite (despite having worked in cutting-edge biotechnology my entire life), though I am a huge scifi fan (which I assume you might be as well from your handle). I like to keep car things simple, and don't like technology just for technology's sake (but passionately embrace it if there's a need for and genuine value to it). Simple automotive systems tend to be more reliable, and easier to fix when they break. I only drive manual transmissions, am not a fan of Teslas, avoid things like 'drive by wire steering', and prefer a carburetor over fuel injection. I prefer a level of tech in a car that I'm comfortable working on. I have and listen to vacuum-tube radios and stereo, and we have two rotary-dial phones in our house (one 1919, one 1939) that work perfectly.

I've never cared what others think about what I drive, if my car is 'faster' than theirs, or what the "numbers" are. What's important to me is how I like the car, how it feels to drive it (and of course what my wife thinks; I didn't get a Corvette because she refuses to ride in one).

You're only young once, but immaturity can last forever.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
86MLR (10-11-2019), HachiRokuX (11-27-2020), jcw99 (10-11-2019), winstonscifi (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #32
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
My boss tells me what needs to be done.

I tell others to do it.

After that it's coffee and internets, maybe some netflix, a gym session, maybe a walk around to see what's happening, after that it's back to the internets until it's time to knock off.

Rinse and repeat.

I'm taking early retirement next year, if the Mrs lets me, she a fair bit younger than me and thinks I'll get myself into mischief with too much free time, I'm gonna need to get a real hobby to fill in the days, there is only so much web surfing you can do.
I highly recommend the "not working" gig.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #33
T-Steve

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
52 here.

As I approach the retirement zone I realize that some people really need a job or at least "a purpose" when they retire or else they stagnate. Others thrive after retiring and beginning full time recreating. I don't know which type I am yet.
T-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #34
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
56 here. And Jeff Lynne, of Traveling Wilburys AND ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA fame is my favorite as well!
My wife and I saw ELO in Chicago last year. Great concert!
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #35
winstonscifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
winstonscifi, ls1ac, jcw99, thank you for making me feel that I'm not the oldest BRZ driver in the world (though I think I'm in the upper tenth percentile, at least in age if nothing else).

winstonscifi, I'm a Joe Walsh fan, but that's not where my handle came from. I just picked it because in some things, I'm kind of an anti-technology neo-Luddite (despite having worked in cutting-edge biotechnology my entire life), though I am a huge scifi fan (which I assume you might be as well from your handle). I like to keep car things simple, and don't like technology just for technology's sake (but passionately embrace it if there's a need for and genuine value to it). Simple automotive systems tend to be more reliable, and easier to fix when they break. I only drive manual transmissions, am not a fan of Teslas, avoid things like 'drive by wire steering', and prefer a carburetor over fuel injection. I prefer a level of tech in a car that I'm comfortable working on. I have and listen to vacuum-tube radios and stereo, and we have two rotary-dial phones in our house (one 1919, one 1939) that work perfectly.

I've never cared what others think about what I drive, if my car is 'faster' than theirs, or what the "numbers" are. What's important to me is how I like the car, how it feels to drive it (and of course what my wife thinks; I didn't get a Corvette because she refuses to ride in one).

Winston Science Fiction series - from the 50's. I loved those books!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (10-11-2019), Tcoat (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post

There are many, many more as old or older than those you mentioned but they have not checked in here. Probably can't get their dial up modems to work. Statistically, based upon the know ages of the purchasers, you, I and everybody else that buy the cars new are in the top 25th percentile for age. I have seen more of these cars driven by people that appear to be my age or older than young people. Now, once we start talking used then all bets are off as to age. With only a handful of exceptions it takes us older guys to buy them new for them to exist used for the 16 to 24 year olds though.
Dadhawk (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #37
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
Winston Science Fiction series - from the 50's. I loved those books!
delRey, Anderson, Clarke, and several others of the greats got their start when published through Winston. I had about 20 of the books given to me as a kid and I read every one of them at least twice. Still have a handful of my favourites to this day.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #38
winstonscifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
delRey, Anderson, Clarke, and several others of the greats got their start when published through Winston. I had about 20 of the books given to me as a kid and I read every one of them at least twice. Still have a handful of my favourites to this day.
I have a website dedicated to the series:

http://winstonscifi.blogspot.com/

I have sold and traded all of the books in the series over the years. Good to see others remember them fondly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (10-11-2019), Tcoat (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #39
jcb476
Release 10 Series

Drives: 2013 10 Series FR-S #1874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I bought my FR-S 10 Series last year a couple of months before I turned 62. Just recently turned 63. You never grow too old to have and enjoy a fun car.
jcb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #40
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
30 here

Oh... wait nvm this is for old people. Do gray hairs in my beard count?
Wait til you have gray hairs on your balls. I'm gonna color mine
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #41
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are many, many more as old or older than those you mentioned but they have not checked in here.
I was 52 when I purchased the car in May, 2012, so 60 now. Which it just occurred to me means I've been driving this car for about 12% of my life.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
BRZed owner @ 67 and still racing karts competitively and finding my way to the podium
AnalogMan (10-11-2019), Dadhawk (10-11-2019), new2subaru (10-11-2019), Ultramaroon (10-11-2019)