follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
juniorrr

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tomei UEL Header Weird Noise?

After Installing my Tomei UEL Headers i found that when i would drive around I could hear a hissing sound from the connection point where the header and the over pipe meet but I could never find an exhaust leak... I took it to 3 other shops that checked it and didn't find a leak either. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and had a solution for it? Thanks Ahead of Time!
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,601 Times in 2,937 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's cattless so it's gonna have some rasp.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Weigaldo

Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just a copy/paste from an old post I had. "I have an "air escaping" noise that I can only hear under light throttle/low rpm when there is something next to me for the sound to bounce off of. Sounds like it's coming from under the passenger side of the car. I went under the car probably 5-6 times to check for leaks before I accepted that's just how my setup sounds. The only other thing I could think of is movement at the front/mid pipe connection where the donut loses its seal. But if it's sealing at idle, I'm not concerned about that."
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weigaldo For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
JCW 86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
It's always a good idea to get back under the car to tighten up the header bolts after a few heat cycles as they can loosen up and back out.

Most people say they notice a "whooshing" noise when they switch from OEM headers and it's most likely attributed to the header having no heat shielding and thinner walled piping than OEM. If you can't find a leak, you should be fine.
JCW 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCW 86 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
juniorrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weigaldo View Post
Just a copy/paste from an old post I had. "I have an "air escaping" noise that I can only hear under light throttle/low rpm when there is something next to me for the sound to bounce off of. Sounds like it's coming from under the passenger side of the car. I went under the car probably 5-6 times to check for leaks before I accepted that's just how my setup sounds. The only other thing I could think of is movement at the front/mid pipe connection where the donut loses its seal. But if it's sealing at idle, I'm not concerned about that."
Yeah this description is the same thing I’m going through and the noise is so annoying and I’m trying to figure out if I can fix it some how... did you ever find any solutions by chance? And yeah i’ve Under the car a lot of times to fix it and no leaks at all or anything. I also plan to get an OP maybe that will fix it?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Weigaldo

Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Yeah this description is the same thing I’m going through and the noise is so annoying and I’m trying to figure out if I can fix it some how... did you ever find any solutions by chance? And yeah i’ve Under the car a lot of times to fix it and no leaks at all or anything. I also plan to get an OP maybe that will fix it?
There is no fix for what I experience aside from driving with the passenger window up. It looks like you've had fuel trim concerns before? If your trims are still wonky I would suspect a leak accompanying the noise. As far as an OP, the louder the exhaust the less likely you are to hear small noises!
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Tangizdope

Drives: 2016 FRS
I just installed uel headers and I'm getting the same sound. Kind of annoying. I'm running a gruppe s with a q300 so it is a quieter setup so I hear a lot of the whooshing sound from the passenger area. I bet if I had a louder setup I wouldn't hear it. Just gotta live with it I guess. I'll sure I'll get used to it.
Do you still have the sound tube in your car? Bet that would help distract you from the whooshing noise. I removed mine and sold it to someone else. Low key regret it since my exhaust is pretty quiet now so I'm always hearing that whooshing sound.
Tangizdope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Quote:
After Installing my Tomei UEL Headers i found that when i would drive around I could hear a hissing sound from the connection point where the header and the over pipe meet but I could never find an exhaust leak... I took it to 3 other shops that checked it and didn't find a leak either. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and had a solution for it? Thanks Ahead of Time!
I have the same noise! No leaks! I think its a little raspy!
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Tangizdope

Quote:
Originally Posted by scion fr-s View Post
I have the same noise! No leaks! I think its a little raspy!
What is your exhaust setup? I have uel and q300 and I have zero rasp. Just have the whooshing noise. I actually had more rasp with uel and the stock exhaust surprisingly.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
scion fr-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangizdope View Post
What is your exhaust setup? I have uel and q300 and I have zero rasp. Just have the whooshing noise. I actually had more rasp with uel and the stock exhaust surprisingly.
I meant the whooshing noise! I have invidia N1 with tomei uel!
Old 04-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Tangizdope

Quote:
Originally Posted by scion fr-s View Post
I meant the whooshing noise! I have invidia N1 with tomei uel!
Do you still have the sound tube? That might cover some of the whoosh sound in the cabin.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
juniorrr

Quote:
I just installed uel headers and I'm getting the same sound. Kind of annoying. I'm running a gruppe s with a q300 so it is a quieter setup so I hear a lot of the whooshing sound from the passenger area. I bet if I had a louder setup I wouldn't hear it. Just gotta live with it I guess. I'll sure I'll get used to it.
Do you still have the sound tube in your car? Bet that would help distract you from the whooshing noise. I removed mine and sold it to someone else. Low key regret it since my exhaust is pretty quiet now so I'm always hearing that whooshing sound.
Yeah its super annoying bro i hope with my new Front Pipe I'm getting tomorrow that it will cover up for some of that whooshing sound. And Yeah I do still have the Sound Tube but I heard that it reduces some performance if its installed? Maybe thats a myth I'm not sure but hey its worth a try putting that thing on I might do it today and see.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
scion fr-s

Quote:
Do you still have the sound tube? That might cover some of the whoosh sound in the cabin.
Nope!
Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
Tangizdope

Quote:
Yeah its super annoying bro i hope with my new Front Pipe I'm getting tomorrow that it will cover up for some of that whooshing sound. And Yeah I do still have the Sound Tube but I heard that it reduces some performance if its installed? Maybe thats a myth I'm not sure but hey its worth a try putting that thing on I might do it today and see.
I actually heard it decreases power just a smidge if you remove the sound tube. Because they designed the airflow with the sound tube. But idk for sure. Shouldn't make any noticable difference though. Report back if it helps with the whoosh noise though. I'd try to buy one from someone if it does indeed help.