follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2018, 01:48 AM   #99
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Couldn't even make it through 10 seconds before I closed the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll just leave this here and challenge you all to listen to the whole song ......

humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:52 AM   #100
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,947 Times in 16,476 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Couldn't even make it through 10 seconds before I closed the window.
You got no class, there Clipdat .......

So, you failed the challenge ......... go eat some tide ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #101
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjH2wt29jmw"]I Take The Tide Pod Challenge! - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
You got no class, there Clipdat .......

So, you failed the challenge ......... go eat some tide ........

humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #102
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
But in your case, you'd have to immediately up shift again to stay below 4k RPM or else the engine apparently sounds like it'll explode. How is that fun...?

When I'm on the highway and trying to pass cars, I prefer staying in the power band rather than downshifting to pass, upshifting to go back to <4k RPM, and repeat.

I save the fun downshift and GTFO for those glorious moments when I reach the end of road construction and the single lane opens back up to a nice empty three lane highway. Go from cruising 30-40 in 3rd to 2nd while hopping into an empty lane, then 3rd, then 4th. Of course that lasts about 10 seconds before I have to drop down to 60MPH

I never said I don’t take it past 4K. This thread was asking about "cruising" at 4K not passing at 4K. I drive my car like I stole it every chance I get. But cruising it in a 55 at 4K because I may want to accelerate isn’t something I do. Sounds more like something a new driver does for fear of having to downshift. Also, I wouldn't call 4K the "power band". More like the middle of the torque dip. My rule of thumb is to "cruise" in as high of a gear as possible without dropping below 2K. If I want to pass I downshift how ever many gears I need to depending on how hard I want to accelerate. If I am looking for max acceleration I clearly don't aim for 4K though... I aim higher. Are you in an auto or something where you can't direct select the optimal gear and would rather be "close" to the power band because it's faster than downshifting one gear at a time until you reach the optimal gear? "Cruising" at lower revs will extend the life of the engine and improve gas mileage.

Last edited by ermax; 01-19-2018 at 08:47 AM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #103
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I never said I don’t take it past 4K. This thread was asking about "cruising" at 4K not passing at 4K. I drive my car like I stole it every chance I get. But cruising it in a 55 at 4K because I may want to accelerate isn’t something I do. Sounds more like something a new driver does for fear of having to downshift. Also, I wouldn't call 4K the "power band". More like the middle of the torque dip. My rule of thumb is to "cruise" in as high of a gear as possible without dropping below 2K. If I want to pass I downshift how ever many gears I need to depending on how hard I want to accelerate. If I am looking for max acceleration I clearly don't aim for 4K though... I aim higher. Are you in an auto or something where you can't direct select the optimal gear and would rather be "close" to the power band because it's faster than downshifting one gear at a time until you reach the optimal gear? "Cruising" at lower revs will extend the life of the engine and improve gas mileage.
You keep missing my point.

I'm usually not driving in cruising conditions.

In answering the OP's question, I don't think cruising regularly at 4k is a big deal because thats where I'm usually driving at anyway.

The thread isnt about how awesome you are at downshifting. Maybe I should've added a little ":P" somewhere in my last post to you.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #104
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
No... it's infected even this part of the internet.... no......... not like this.... Next it's going to be "Unganda knuckles" on this forum... please no... the memes are too stronk.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #105
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:

In answering the OP's question, I don't think cruising regularly at 4k is a big deal because thats where I'm usually driving at anyway.

The thread isnt about how awesome you are at downshifting. Maybe I should've added a little ":P" somewhere in my last post to you.
I think the both of you are missing each others point tbh. He is saying that downshifting is more optimal when power is actually needed vs sitting at 4k, which isn't even in the actually power band. And from what I gather, you are saying it's next to pointless to be at a higher gear lower RPM, for your specific needs which no one can argue.

Mostly you two should agree to disagree, there is one point I can't agree with you though and that is on the point of actually shifting not being "fun", or so you seem to imply.

Downshifting and upshifting in an MT is part of the involvement or driving experience if you may, but the way you talk, it sounds like you drive an AT or almost would prefer an AT with paddles, which there is nothing wrong with that, but sitting at 4k for power, isn't really where you want to be first off, you'd want to be higher than that, and secondly there is a lot of satisfaction (at least for myself) when blipping from like 3k to 5k RPM's and doing those hard shifts.

Too much has been lost in translation here. It's like broken telephone
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #106
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't disagree, but still - a high revving engine is (ideally) made to take this kind of thing a lot longer than the others.

My point still stands. 4000rpm sustained on a 5300rpm redline motor is beyond what was intended. 4000rpm sustained on a 7500rpm motor isn't so radical that it's beyond normal operating range.

He is comparing it to another car that was built for different rpm ranges, tolerances, etc - so it DOES matter that he doesn't compare apples to oranges in this case. Comparing it to a small turbo car like that mini is silly - it's nearly impossible to operate our cars under 2000 rpm - my point was mainly to think about the car, and not use what another one is doing to make him worry about his own (which is quite different).
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #107
ermax

Quote:

How did I miss your point? You said you like cruising at 4K so that when it is time to make a pass (not cruise), you are already in the attack mode (although 4K isn't the optimal attack mode). Sure it isn't a "big deal" to cruise at 4K, it's just pointless. I also wasn't pointing out how good I am at downshifting. Just pointing out that it's best to "cruise" low and then downshift when needed. I mean seriously do we really need to debate driving 101?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #108
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
I don't disagree, but still - a high revving engine is (ideally) made to take this kind of thing a lot longer than the others.

My point still stands. 4000rpm sustained on a 5300rpm redline motor is beyond what was intended. 4000rpm sustained on a 7500rpm motor isn't so radical that it's beyond normal operating range.

He is comparing it to another car that was built for different rpm ranges, tolerances, etc - so it DOES matter that he doesn't compare apples to oranges in this case. Comparing it to a small turbo car like that mini is silly - it's nearly impossible to operate our cars under 2000 rpm - my point was mainly to think about the car, and not use what another one is doing to make him worry about his own (which is quite different).
They are apples and oranges for sure. I agree that a high revving engine will take it better too. The OP also didn't give a lot of detail. The Mini was at 1800 while he was at 4K at the same speed but he didn't specify the speed so who knows if they were both in top gear or not. Obviously if the mini is in 6th and the 86 is in 3rd the revs are going to be way different. I suspect he is talking about highway speeds in top gear. Who knows. My only point in this thread is when "cruising" you should have the revs as low as possible without going below 2K.

Anyways, I am just repeating myself at this point. Hahaha
Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #109
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
He did specify, @ermax, just not in the first post. He's in 6th at 4k, people in his area apparently are just insane on the highway, and you either keep up or die.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #110
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Right. We are both correct on slightly different points. No biggie!
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #111
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
He did specify, @ermax, just not in the first post. He's in 6th at 4k, people in his area apparently are just insane on the highway, and you either keep up or die.
Do you know how many moms with SUV BMW's/Benz/Audi think they are some kind of F1 driver all of a sudden around here, it's crazy.

If I am reading it correctly, he did say final drive in first post, which would mean 6th, no? lol
Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #112
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Oh yeah I missed that. Wow yeah, 4K in 6th. Even in Florida your asking for it if you cruise that fast for very long. Oh but wait, it's a 2017. 4K in 6th wouldn't be that fast would it? Need to calculate that.