follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Will do, I'll also test for the rear as I fear the 9.5 inch will possibly hit the strut/spring especially with the 265.
There's other things in the way before the wheel could possibly hit damper/spring (there is no strut on the rear)

Quote:
If I don't have any clearance issues what would you recommend overall that will provide up to a 25mm drop have adjustability for stiffness so I don't smack the fender and have a $2000USD budget?
All of your options are capable of performing that task.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
JamesK (09-18-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #16
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
As a fellow Aussie I suspect the MCA X-C coilovers will be a good option for you. It might also be worth talking to Shockworks in Melbourne as they also make a well regarded coilover that is popular here in Melbourne for slightly less than the MCA's.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
JamesK

Drives: 2013 - Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Been contacting Josh at MCA today has had recommended either the Mca blue or Mca XC Purple coupled with 6kg front 4.5kg rear springs. Any opinions on this and also does anybody know if the coilovers have stainless steel bodies like the kw and bilstein?
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:34 AM   #18
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,384 Times in 4,138 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
@JamesK
I'm sorry but I really don't understand the dilemma you are having. You reside in Australia. MCA is in Australia. To me there is no other choice.

I have in a couple of other posts but will say again: you will not appreciate local support until you need it. Best of luck getting help or getting those other dampers serviced in Aus.

Regarding the Tein Z. My impression is that they are a great value off the shelf item for close to standard cars. Given your intended wheels (*shudder*) you need a custom set-up.

Here is another thing I have said before: As soon as your speed is above zero your suspension is beginning to work.That is, the suspension is working most of the time so you should be getting the best possible dampers you can afford. You said up to $2000 US which is about AUD$2600. Plus the other couple of hundred you were willing to spend and there you have the price of the Reds.

You really should have a chat to Josh at MCA and see what he has to say.

If you are just in it for the looks, and judging by your intended wheels I'm guessing you are, then you don't need good dampers anyway.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
cjd (09-18-2017), strat61caster (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #19
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Been contacting Josh at MCA today has had recommended either the Mca blue or Mca XC Purple coupled with 6kg front 4.5kg rear springs. Any opinions on this and also does anybody know if the coilovers have stainless steel bodies like the kw and bilstein?
Yeah, I have an opinion. And I don't like it. Because I am going to suggest something different to Josh and if I knew 1% of what he does I would be setting up my own steering shop.

My reasoning as follows:
Motion ratio at the rear is around 0.75 so your spring rate at the wheel on the 4.5k springs is about 2.5k. Given your wheels at the back I am thinking that this spring rate is too low.

I am confident the bodies are not stainless steel but I don't see how that is relevant in Aus.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
cjd (09-18-2017), JamesK (09-18-2017), strat61caster (09-18-2017), swarb (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #20
JamesK

Think my main post made it clear I do not have intentions to track the car it's simply street and spirited driving DD. And no could care less what the coilovers look like just want a quality damper. Don't want to waste 1-2000 on a crappy product. Hence the reason for me asking on the forums to see people's opinions. Pros and cons
Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #21
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Think my main post made it clear I do not have intentions to track the car it's simply street and spirited driving DD. And no could care less what the coilovers look like just want a quality damper. Don't want to waste 1-2000 on a crappy product. Hence the reason for me asking on the forums to see people's opinions. Pros and cons
If you don't want to get the spring rates right, then you will have lots of understeer, which your staggered tire setup already does.

You should mention what tire you plan to run, if you are going for a low grip tire, lower spring rates are better matched.

Honestly you can't go wrong with mca/b16 as they are local and can revalve them to your liking if you don't like the standard valving. Also if you blow a corner, you won't have to be out of commission for too long. I personally wouldn't go with mca because they have the spring rates wrong for a neutral handling car.

On 19's you should be running 30 series not 35. 35's are more for 18's. You will rub because the diameter is too big, not because it is too wide.
Depending on how low you are, the rears will rub on the bumper tab or be really close. You will have plenty of suspension clearance otherwise.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
I personally wouldn't go with mca because they have the spring rates wrong for a neutral handling car.
I wouldn't suggest the MCA Blues or Purples either. They are off the shelf items all with preset valving. That is, there is no customising.

However, I would recommend the Reds as these can be built to requirements and given the Op's wheels I think this is mandatory.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #23
JamesK

Thanks for the input people and i do agree with most especially that MCA do offer quite strange spring rates seems like reds would be the only option. although out of my price range.

Update ive been told that the wheels have not be despached yet and am trying to get them to work around giving me 18" instead "hope they can change it".

MCA Reds come to 3200 delivered due to the need of helper springs as the springs do droop. which is out of my budget.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #24
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the input people and i do agree with most especially that MCA do offer quite strange spring rates seems like reds would be the only option. although out of my price range.
Listen to what expert local shops say and don't trust too much the people on the internet. You said in your original post that your car will basically be for street use with occasional spirited/aggressive driving. You should keep your spring rates on a reasonable level. Otherwise, you will not have a good handling car and you'll have to drive like a chicken. High spring rates should be focused only for the track or if you're building a show only staggered look.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #25
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Listen to what expert local shops say and don't trust too much the people on the internet. You said in your original post that your car will basically be for street use with occasional spirited/aggressive driving. You should keep your spring rates on a reasonable level. Otherwise, you will not have a good handling car and you'll have to drive like a chicken. High spring rates should be focused only for the track or if you're building a show only staggered look.
Yup - talk to MCA and let them help you out, vs what's said here. And it's 'bollocks' if someone says you don't need good dampers if you have big/heavy rims & tires. Quality dampers, correct spring rates & performance alignment are always important considerations unless you never actually drive your car anywhere, or unless you only drive perfectly smooth roads.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #26
JamesK

I know penske have quite an expensive coilover race spec kit for the toyota 86 but is it possible to buy their standard single adjustable coil over shock.

https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...ies-coil-over/

And add top hat and coil mounts? these would come to only 1840 for the 4 shocks.
Not sure where to get just base coilover attachment to add to the car. Would this be a good way to go. support seems good with penske too as they are able to send the parts required for repair.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #27
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
MCA Reds come to 3200 delivered due to the need of helper springs as the springs do droop. which is out of my budget.
Helper springs? That's new to me. I've just had my Reds back for about a month after getting them overhauled and modified and there was no mention of helpers when I was talking to Josh.

Quote:
I know penske have quite an expensive coilover race spec kit for the toyota 86 but is it possible to buy their standard single adjustable coil over shock.

https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...ies-coil-over/

And add top hat and coil mounts? these would come to only 1840 for the 4 shocks.
Not sure where to get just base coilover attachment to add to the car. Would this be a good way to go. support seems good with penske too as they are able to send the parts required for repair.
Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about here but the Penskes in your link are for double wishbone setups. There is no mention of fitment. That is, you have to specify the damper to meet your needs.
Given that Penske US gives a starting price of US$10k for the BRZ/86/FRS kit I really don't like the chances of getting an inexpensive set.

I think you'll find that the price in your link is per damper.

By the way, when I was investigating dampers I rang the Aus dealer for Penske ( http://www.nttyres.com/showPage.php?...id=topmenur0c3) and he suggested I get some Bilsteins. *shrug*

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 09-18-2017 at 08:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
JamesK

they just told me due to the springs not being captive at full droop helper springs can be added into the kit to help aid this issue.

Last edited by JamesK; 09-18-2017 at 09:54 AM.