follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #477
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 593
Thanks: 22
Thanked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The info page says you can do a catback, and they might add tuning but the power mods aren't happening.

I'm not going down a class unless there is some sort of huge contingency program or something like that.

The class is what I expected, but less than I'd hoped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #478
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 593
Thanks: 22
Thanked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
I cant see many of us STX guys going back to this new spec class. I know I will not do it. The car is to much fun in STX trim right now.
If they had announced the class 2 years ago, we might all be in it. We should have Millertime get a twin, prep it for the class, and have like 6 of us drive it at every SCCA event (maybe ER depending on the PAX).

I'd like to see 6 co-drivers is one heat, lol. I've done 3 in one heat and 4 at one event, I don't think you can get more than 3 in a heat (that's really pushing).

I really like the idea, but it's just too late for us.

I synced up our 3rd session COTA videos, the laps are all damn close (we even hit nearly the same amount of traffic). At one point you were behind the Focus RS and I was behind the GTR in the section between the big straight and the front straight and the videos were in perfect sync, even the places and amounts the turbo cars would pull on us.

I had so much fun at COTA that I've watched hours of video pulled from just about every car in our session. Miles needs to upload some, I'm getting bored of what's up now.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:27 AM   #479
Shneegle
Senior Member
 
Shneegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS, 2024 Trueno
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 932
Thanks: 246
Thanked 402 Times in 235 Posts
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
If they had announced the class 2 years ago, we might all be in it. We should have Millertime get a twin, prep it for the class, and have like 6 of us drive it at every SCCA event (maybe ER depending on the PAX).

I'd like to see 6 co-drivers is one heat, lol. I've done 3 in one heat and 4 at one event, I don't think you can get more than 3 in a heat (that's really pushing).

I really like the idea, but it's just too late for us.

I synced up our 3rd session COTA videos, the laps are all damn close (we even hit nearly the same amount of traffic). At one point you were behind the Focus RS and I was behind the GTR in the section between the big straight and the front straight and the videos were in perfect sync, even the places and amounts the turbo cars would pull on us.

I had so much fun at COTA that I've watched hours of video pulled from just about every car in our session. Miles needs to upload some, I'm getting bored of what's up now.
It's possible that we would be in SSC had it been a thing a few years ago. But I only started to Autox after I installed a header so I most likely would still be in STX. I just would have spent as much cause the competition wouldn't have been there.

It would be cool to have someone get a twin and prep it for SSC and try it out. 6 people on 1 car for an event is possible, I just don't see it working for the same heat. Could set it up to have 2 running in each heat.

Miles best lap was a 2:49.1 so he was ahead of us for lap times but I know we were getting him in the corners. We watched his videos on Sunday but i don't think he plans to put them on youtube.

After doing the TNiA at COTA I wanna sign up for one of the week end track events. I think the price of $600 to $1000 would be worth it. We would have much less traffic and have a few days to get used to driving at the track. We all have much faster time in us, I know I was still trying to learn the track and the proper fast lines.
__________________
Shneegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #480
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 593
Thanks: 22
Thanked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Indeed, both or fastest laps were in traffic.

We'll have to look at COTA events and maybe go down in a group and split a room sometime. There are a number of events there, the only issue is cost.

I'm going to have to become a track instructor so I can start getting cheap tack time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #481
Jyn
Noob
 
Jyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,594
Thanks: 577
Thanked 888 Times in 485 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You will want a turbo after driving COTA in an NA 86.
__________________
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #482
Shneegle
Senior Member
 
Shneegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS, 2024 Trueno
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 932
Thanks: 246
Thanked 402 Times in 235 Posts
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
You will want a turbo after driving COTA in an NA 86.
Indeed. But I have an easy solution to that. Forced Induction is not STX legal, therefore I will not be going FI.

I still wanna do COTA more even with being NA.
__________________
Shneegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #483
Jyn
Noob
 
Jyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,594
Thanks: 577
Thanked 888 Times in 485 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Forced induction is legal in HPDE events though. Make the upgrade :p
__________________
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #484
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 593
Thanks: 22
Thanked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Forced induction is legal in HPDE events though. Make the upgrade :p
Well, since August of last year, I did 11 Track days and 36 autocrosses (not counting co-drivers).

Both totals are considered high for each discipline. But since I'm getting more than 3 autocrosses for each trackday, I'm going to keep prioritizing autox.

Also, FI at the track brings headaches and increased cost. I'd rather have an NA car that always works, doesn't heatsoak, and uses smaller, cheaper tires and fewer sets of brakes.

I've never been passed by a FI Twin on the track and we usually raw time them at the autocrosses.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #485
Jyn
Noob
 
Jyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,594
Thanks: 577
Thanked 888 Times in 485 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
Well, since August of last year, I did 11 Track days and 36 autocrosses (not counting co-drivers).

Both totals are considered high for each discipline. But since I'm getting more than 3 autocrosses for each trackday, I'm going to keep prioritizing autox.

Also, FI at the track brings headaches and increased cost. I'd rather have an NA car that always works, doesn't heatsoak, and uses smaller, cheaper tires and fewer sets of brakes.

I've never been passed by a FI Twin on the track and we usually raw time them at the autocrosses.
Are you going to do TDE 3.1 Cresson?? There will be a lot of us from Texas going, including NA and FI 86s.
__________________
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #486
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 593
Thanks: 22
Thanked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'll be there tomorrow with Apex, but the Driver's Edge guys are all on weekends I've got an autox event one of the days. I've never done the 3.1, I'm looking forward to running it.

Last edited by 14stu; 09-08-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: update
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #487
Jonsey
Senior Member
 
Jonsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: DFW
Posts: 272
Thanks: 369
Thanked 216 Times in 112 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
I've never been passed by a FI Twin on the track and we usually raw time them at the autocrosses.
There aren't very many of them in TX that track and those I do know of don't track with SCCA. I know at least one in Dallas that would cause you some arm movement. =)

You need to come out and join us at a drivers edge event soon.
__________________
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain
Jonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #488
mjanmohammad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Location: Dallas
Posts: 567
Thanks: 97
Thanked 446 Times in 262 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Are you going to do TDE 3.1 Cresson?? There will be a lot of us from Texas going, including NA and FI 86s.
I'll be at that TDE Day! Trying to find a hotel. Worst case I'll sleep in my car or make the 90 minute drive home each day.
__________________
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #489
14stu
Senior Member
 
14stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 593
Thanks: 22
Thanked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
There aren't very many of them in TX that track and those I do know of don't track with SCCA. I know at least one in Dallas that would cause you some arm movement. =)

You need to come out and join us at a drivers edge event soon.
I know there some super fast guys, I've watched their youtube videos! Next year I'll have to do a better job picking which autox clubs to try to compete in the year long points with so I can skip a few autocrosses and do more trackdays. Nearly all my trackdays have been with the SCCA, either at TNiA or Club Trials, and I've only seen like 1-2 FI twins (one was a novice, so we weren't on track at the same time, but he was mid-pack with the novices and the other was one of the guys who quit autox for drift).

I've seen more hard-parkers with FI than racers, and it's already a fine line between race and rice with these cars. I've been tempted more than once to pick up a Jackson Racing or Edelbrock SC kit. I know I'd love it, but I'm having a blast without FI and I'm spending that budget on seat time.

TDE is pretty much exclusively 2 day events, so they almost always conflict on one day or the other with an autox.

I'm running the 3.1 Saturday with Apex and doing the Equipe Rapide mirror cross on Sunday in Mineral Wells. I'm racing nearly every weekend.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #490
Shneegle
Senior Member
 
Shneegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS, 2024 Trueno
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 932
Thanks: 246
Thanked 402 Times in 235 Posts
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
You need to come out and join us at a drivers edge event soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
TDE is pretty much exclusively 2 day events, so they almost always conflict on one day or the other with an autox.
I have to work on Sat and/or Sun every weekend so making these weekend track days has not been something that I can do. The SCCA TNiA events are favorable due to the fact I don't work on Tuesdays which is why I have done those. I'm also on the board for the Texas Region SCCA Autocross group so I can't miss any SCCA event. Which we have events on both the dates that TDE does MSR 3.1. However I might have to look at that TDE in December as we have no autox events then and that is on a favorable weekend for work.

I'm working on getting a new schedule for work which will make these weekend events much easier to make and TNiA harder to make. At that point ill just prioritize which event I think will be more fun between the track weekend and autox. I'm working on making this schedule change happen ASAP.

Yall track rats need to come out and see what autox is like. These "mirror cross" events in Mineral wells are a blast. I think yall would be hard pressed to keep up with us.
__________________
Shneegle is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Tags
autocross, dfw, texas, track


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED Switch Backs North Texas J-Money Southwest 1 09-18-2013 04:43 PM
North Texas Weekend Meet June Shneegle Southwest 60 06-23-2013 07:39 PM
North Texas Meet, May-2-2013 Shneegle Southwest 66 05-14-2013 06:27 PM
North Texas meet anyone? J-Money Southwest 65 04-23-2013 06:46 PM
North Texas meet up. Addison TX spyingwind Southwest 5 03-22-2013 06:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.