follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #43
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,809 Times in 19,084 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I wouldn't call it downright abuse. @paulca, if I may...

OP, don't be afraid to fart around with it. Paulca is just suggesting some dumb things you can try in a controlled situation. Make mistakes on purpose so you can safely get accustomed to the consequences. Then you won't panic when you screw up accidentally.

For instance, wet shoes slipping off of the clutch pedal. It's really ugly but it happens. I don't recommend trying that but you won't shit your pants the first time it happens.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #44
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tfw you have an aftermarket exhaust and its almost impossible to do a gas-free start due to reduced back pressure
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #45
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,494 Times in 5,007 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
For instance, wet shoes slipping off of the clutch pedal. It's really ugly but it happens. I don't recommend trying that but you won't shit your pants the first time it happens.
They don't have to be wet... or on the clutch...

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #46
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,809 Times in 19,084 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They don't have to be wet... or on the clutch...

*sigh* true
Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #47
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
tfw you have an aftermarket exhaust and its almost impossible to do a gas-free start due to reduced back pressure
what is a reduced back pressure? Does it happen to even just an aftermarket catback exhaust as well?
Do you just have other mods?
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #48
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
While I see where you are coming from if done right, ie. smooth, patient and gentle you will still get it rolling without the throttle.

If you are slow and sensitive enough with it then the load sensor will intervene if the engine bogs too much. Right at the moment it applies throttle to lift the revs bite the clutch a little harder. Depress it again before it lugs.

I use this technique when reverse parking fairly often, though I do get the car rolling with a small blip but keep it rolling at sub 1mph with just clutch drag.

As an advanced experiment for those who feel good with the clutch, try getting the car up through the gears to 6th without the accelerator. I confess I have not tried this in the 86 and it may be next to impossible but it should be doable (with the load sensors help at best). I have done it in other cars, getting from 1st, rolling, 2nd, all the way to 30mph in 5th without touching the acclerator. A heavier fly wheel and more sensitive load sensor helps.

Doing it in a diesel is cheating. For a challenge there, put it straight into 5th or 6th and I bet you can still get it rolling.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #49
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Khan View Post

PART 3: Practice Adding a little gas on a slight hill:

Repeat step 2 but this time have the car facing up a very slight hill, you will have to press the gas a little more and HOLD the clutch a little longer.
Surprised not many people have said this, but this is the best way I learned honestly. Although I'm a bit older than you and had been driving for some time before stepping into a manual, I really think that this is probably the most effective way of learning.

Get on a hill, you'll learn very quickly, it puts a bit of pressure on you, but obviously just don't go where traffic is
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #50
re-animator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
what is a reduced back pressure? Does it happen to even just an aftermarket catback exhaust as well?
Do you just have other mods?
pretty much anything that opens up the airways on the intake or exhaust side from factory spec is going to cost you some torque at the very very low end of the RPM range (i.e. from idle). think about a garden hose - you get the most water when it is completely open and unencumbered, but the water comes out with more force when there is some restriction i.e. when you squeeze the hose or put your thumb on the nozzle. its more noticeable with a headers-back exhaust, but even with a catback there is a different feel to the very low revs.

now when you get the car rolling or the engine revs up you benefit from the extra airflow. same way a large diameter firehose is very unrestricted compared to a garden hose, but it still generates plenty of pressure from just pumping tons more water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to re-animator For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (09-07-2017), Tcoat (09-06-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #51
re-animator

is it just me or is it easier to get into first when the car is at a slight roll?? not to get it in gear, but just moving the shifter? eliminates the notchy feel and the shifter feels like it guides itself into 1st gear
Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #52
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
is it just me or is it easier to get into first when the car is at a slight roll?? not to get it in gear, but just moving the shifter? eliminates the notchy feel and the shifter feels like it guides itself into 1st gear
Not just you. Seems to be common with the twins. One thing I didn't notice at first but learned from reading around here is that it becomes less notchy as the transmission warms up. I've noticed it's also easier to shift into 1st if I shift to 2nd gear first. Just go easy on it until it warms up. Takes me about 5 miles of driving before I feel the difference. Another post I've read on here swears that swapping the transmission fluid solves this, but I've yet to test for myself.
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #53
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
am currently teaching my girlfriend how to drive a manual transmission and started her off in my truck because as other have said the clutch in the frs/brz is just slightly more difficult. the clutch in my truck is quite a bit heavier but it really is night and day better as far as feeling where it grips and doesnt and there is much more feel to the throw than in the frs/brz.

you will get the hang of it. finding someone to teach you can be a little rough sometimes because most people who have been doing this a long time can get frustrated and dont always explain the best way to do it. just keep at it!
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e_lunatic For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #54
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I also recommend going into a large parking lot or off hours in a commercial district (somewhere without a lot of cars). Bring a friend and tell them while you are driving around to Randomly yell STOP! Hit your brakes hard and get into the practice of pushing in the clutch during an emergency stop situation.

Nothing worse the learning to drive stick and someone pulling out in front of you, you slam on the brakes and kill the car (You will loose power brakes and steering).
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #55
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrac View Post
I also recommend going into a large parking lot or off hours in a commercial district (somewhere without a lot of cars). Bring a friend and tell them while you are driving around to Randomly yell STOP! Hit your brakes hard and get into the practice of pushing in the clutch during an emergency stop situation.

Nothing worse the learning to drive stick and someone pulling out in front of you, you slam on the brakes and kill the car (You will loose power brakes and steering).
This is an example of defensive driving and shouldn't be something practiced when attempting to master the basics of standard imo
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #56
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
This is an example of defensive driving and shouldn't be something practiced when attempting to master the basics of standard imo
You think being able to safely stop in an emergency situation isn't a basic item to be mastered?

In my opinion learning to stop the vehicle is far more important than learning to start the vehicle off in a smooth manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imrac For This Useful Post:
paulca (09-11-2017)

Tags
downshifting, starts