follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #2269
Bluman

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just got a call from JEGs. I got all excited for the, "your parts are in," but instead I got, "we got an email from Edelbrock informing us that your kit is backordered and should be back in stock in about a month." So pardon me while I go throw a juvenile pouty fit.

I suppose I could order from Amazon... they have four kits in stock.....
Bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluman For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-11-2017), taiguy (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #2270
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Given the number of people that have had trouble with the gaskets on the bottom of the supercharger when doing the install, it looks like there is a seam where the legs come off the body. Would it be better to unbolt the legs, get them in place with the intake bolts loosely on and then lower the body to the legs with new gaskets there?

I had that same thought, and wanted to do that just out curiosity. The one area I didn't want to have a leak was with those manifold gaskets. But I chickened out, and did it the way the instructions say too.

That being said while dealing with alternator issues, I placed/installed the SC at least 5 times and fiddled with it till I was to actually bolt it down. I didn't have any issues. Just put some lube on the gaskets so they stay tucked in the grooves.

Still, I wonder if attaching the runners separately would work out better.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #2271
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Hi guys I don't know if this has been posted but is there a way to change the blow off valve to sound different? Or is it inside the manifold thingy? I want mine to sound different!
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #2272
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
That's a good question that has crossed my mind lately, too.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Was there an answer to this question...anyone changed out the filter yet? Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #2273
Zut

Drives: 2013 FRS
I've been running more data logging on with my Jackson Racing dual radiator/oil cooler.

Generally, normal running and spirited drives I'm averaging about a 20-30F delta between ambient air and IAT. Today I logged 2 back-to-back full throttle pulls, both from dead stops up to about 70MPH. I maxed out at a 47F delta as I hit redline on the end of the second pull. FWIW, I'm still missing the side and bottom radiator "gaskets".

So short version, ~25F delta normally, ~50F delta after 2 pulls.

Can anyone share whether this matches their deltas on a stock radiator with the Edelbrock?
Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zut For This Useful Post:
PR138 (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #2274
UTBRZ42

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
First time posting on the forum but I have been a long time lurker. I wanted to confirm what many others have said. Installed my edelbrock SC in December, and although the hardware has been great the Carb tune was jerky, and surged all over the RPM band. I purchased the Delicious Tune, right off the bat it was amazing, after two revisions Zach had really fine tuned it. On top of that I live at 4500 feet, Zach noticed my boost level was low due to this and recommended the 3" pulley. Purchased that through CSG and we are now refining the tune for the 3" pulley. Both Delicious and CSG have been amazing to work with.
UTBRZ42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UTBRZ42 For This Useful Post:
sobrz (06-06-2017), whataboutbob (05-25-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #2275
-Phil

Drives: Rb25 neo brz
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluman View Post
I just got a call from JEGs. I got all excited for the, "your parts are in," but instead I got, "we got an email from Edelbrock informing us that your kit is backordered and should be back in stock in about a month." So pardon me while I go throw a juvenile pouty fit.

I suppose I could order from Amazon... they have four kits in stock.....
We tend to keep one of the 1556's in stock just an FYI
-Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:12 AM   #2276
Foralong25

Drives: Scion FR-S
Edelbrock SC Issue - Codes P1170 P0171 - Resolved - Leaking SC Bypass Valve

Long time lurker. I've had an Edelbrock SC issue for months, that has just been resolved.

My car is a 2015 MT Scion FR-S. I had CSG install the Edelbrock SC one year ago, at 25k miles. I used the CARB tune. Car is otherwise stock, except for Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I added later.

BRIEF EDELBROCK SC REVIEW:

Car has run great since the install. Acceleration is vastly improved. Car is much faster. Stock primacy tires are inadequate with the Edelbrock installed, giving rise to wild wheelspin. Stock clutch will roast somewhat if you feather or roll it in too slowly at high rpms, but is holding up so far (>38kmi). Car is less playful, more serious.

If you regularly drive with traction control off, and you make this upgrade, please keep traction control on until you are fully used to the increase in power.

Minor issues have included the following:
- fuel smell in oil (CARB tune runs a bit rich -- I changed to a 3k mile oil change interval to minimize impact)
- rev hang when clutched in at low speed
- occasional bucking/hesitation at mid-throttle
- initial CARB tune had massive surge of torque at 3k rpm (feature or bug?). This was smoothed out in the following iteration of the CARB tune.
- initial CARB tune less fruitful winding out above 5k rpm. Again, this seems to have been addressed in the following iteration.

DTCS P1170 & P0171

About 6 months ago the CEL and traction control light both came on. Car continued to run well -- no noticeable reduction in power. Car threw codes P1170 (port injector) and P0171 (lean condition).

I began troubleshooting with my normal garage. They inspected, cleaned the MAF, smoked exhaust, smoked intakes, found no leaks. They recommended returning to stock (!).

CSG then inspected and evaluated thoroughly. Among other things, they replaced MAF, replaced O2 sensor, and swapped injectors. Codes persisted.

I brought the vehicle in to Edelbrock. After an in-depth troubleshooting process, they determined that the bypass valve on the supercharger was leaking. This apparently resulted in pulled timing, which in turned resulted in detection of a lean condition. Edelbrock replaced the bypass valve. Codes are gone.

Edelbrock advised that it was very difficult to detect that the bypass valve was leaking.

I have been very impressed with both CSG and Edelbrock throughout this process.
Foralong25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foralong25 For This Useful Post:
CallmeDave (04-01-2019), CounterSpace Garage (05-15-2017), EJ. (05-15-2017), paiceyfan (05-15-2017), sobrz (06-06-2017), taiguy (05-15-2017), whataboutbob (05-25-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #2277
EJ.
e85!

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm having the same issue with the exact same codes of P1170 and P0171 and it is indeed the bypass valve. I had this issue before and now I will have to email edelbrock tomorrow about another replacement. This is the second bypass valve I will have replaced on this kit.
Scion FR-S M/T | HRI Tuned - AMS Catted Header - DW 700cc injectors - DW 265lph Fuel Pump - MotoEast Flex Fuel Kit - Greddy Evolution GT Catback Exhaust - Exedy Stage 2 Clutch - Edelbrock Supercharger
EJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:27 AM   #2278
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foralong25 View Post
Long time lurker. I've had an Edelbrock SC issue for months, that has just been resolved.

My car is a 2015 MT Scion FR-S. I had CSG install the Edelbrock SC one year ago, at 25k miles. I used the CARB tune. Car is otherwise stock, except for Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I added later.

BRIEF EDELBROCK SC REVIEW:

Car has run great since the install. Acceleration is vastly improved. Car is much faster. Stock primacy tires are inadequate with the Edelbrock installed, giving rise to wild wheelspin. Stock clutch will roast somewhat if you feather or roll it in too slowly at high rpms, but is holding up so far (>38kmi). Car is less playful, more serious.

If you regularly drive with traction control off, and you make this upgrade, please keep traction control on until you are fully used to the increase in power.

Minor issues have included the following:
- fuel smell in oil (CARB tune runs a bit rich -- I changed to a 3k mile oil change interval to minimize impact)
- rev hang when clutched in at low speed
- occasional bucking/hesitation at mid-throttle
- initial CARB tune had massive surge of torque at 3k rpm (feature or bug?). This was smoothed out in the following iteration of the CARB tune.
- initial CARB tune less fruitful winding out above 5k rpm. Again, this seems to have been addressed in the following iteration.

DTCS P1170 & P0171

About 6 months ago the CEL and traction control light both came on. Car continued to run well -- no noticeable reduction in power. Car threw codes P1170 (port injector) and P0171 (lean condition).

I began troubleshooting with my normal garage. They inspected, cleaned the MAF, smoked exhaust, smoked intakes, found no leaks. They recommended returning to stock (!).

CSG then inspected and evaluated thoroughly. Among other things, they replaced MAF, replaced O2 sensor, and swapped injectors. Codes persisted.

I brought the vehicle in to Edelbrock. After an in-depth troubleshooting process, they determined that the bypass valve on the supercharger was leaking. This apparently resulted in pulled timing, which in turned resulted in detection of a lean condition. Edelbrock replaced the bypass valve. Codes are gone.

Edelbrock advised that it was very difficult to detect that the bypass valve was leaking.

I have been very impressed with both CSG and Edelbrock throughout this process.
this describes my issues last fall. I'll shoot Topher an email tomorrow. thanks for the report.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #2279
Bluman

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Phil View Post
We tend to keep one of the 1556's in stock just an FYI
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I decide whether to wait it out or order elsewhere. I just would rather not deal with shipping, if I can avoid it. That's actually the main reason I went through JEGs.

The other thing I could do is just wait it out until JEGs gets the kit. By that time I'll have money for clutch, and maybe brakes. All thanks to a silly, arbitrary rule I invented that says, "regular pay is for bills and living..... OT pay is all car parts." Thanks to working 7 days/week this time of year, that could mean lots of car parts this summer.
Bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluman For This Useful Post:
-Phil (05-16-2017), sato (05-16-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 AM   #2280
wangspray

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I had something similar happen once but I had a different code, P2135 "throttle position circuit low". Same symptoms, was driving on the freeway then went on limp mode with the CEL all of a sudden. Was able to limp to the side of the freeway to check the code. I disconnected,cleaned and reconnected the throttle connector (the Edelbrock comes with an "extension" for it) and the connector for the throttle pedal. Cleared the code and started it up and was able to drive home like normal. Haven't had the problem since (knock on wood). Mine seemed more like an electrical problem than a mechanical one like your code suggests.
Did you ever have this happen again? I have a '15 brz with an edelbrock, installed approx 1 year ago with carb tune and just threw this code. Did same as you and restarted ok. Just wanted to see if anything has changed for ya after clearing your code.
wangspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 AM   #2281
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangspray View Post
Did you ever have this happen again? I have a '15 brz with an edelbrock, installed approx 1 year ago with carb tune and just threw this code. Did same as you and restarted ok. Just wanted to see if anything has changed for ya after clearing your code.
Nope, only happened that one time and haven't had it happen since (although I must note that I sold the car in Jan)
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #2282
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangspray View Post

I just had this issue with 2135 2 days ago. The car started but was hesitating and I had no throttle input. Pressed gas peddle and nothing as the car was in a rough idle. Stopped car for 5 minutes,
Restarted, and no issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote