follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I know the 86 is supposed to be a light weight sports car, but I always wished it had adaptive headlights that moved with the steering... Hell, all cars should!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
AFAIK the MY13+ HIDs are self leveling, it's automatic adjustment by a sensor connected to the suspension. It's how they are here in the UK. I'd assume that the LED lights are done in a similar fashion.
I have never heard of auto-leveling headlights in the USDM versions. for my MY15, there's a scroll wheel next to the trunk release to change headlight levels. there's also a manual adjustment behind the actual headlight housing.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #17
Vin

Drives: 2012 GT86 EU-spec
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I have never heard of auto-leveling headlights in the USDM versions. for my MY15, there's a scroll wheel next to the trunk release to change headlight levels. there's also a manual adjustment behind the actual headlight housing.
Auto leveling is usually combined with HID, halogen gets the scroll wheel.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Auto leveling is usually combined with HID, halogen gets the scroll wheel.
must be the EUDM and JDM ones then. USDM definitely doesn't have it. you guys also got the headlight washers too... all the cool stuff are overseas lol
Old 04-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #19
TheLowlyThird

Drives: '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The USDM '17's do have automatic leveling, it's a sensor connected to the left rear control arm. I didn't reinstall mine after swapping out control arms since there really wasn't a spot for it, and I didn't know what it was, and my beams got pretty freaky. I personally love the new headlights, they're a nice wide beam, too bright, and I don't have that dead spot you mentioned.

Last edited by TheLowlyThird; 04-10-2017 at 06:19 PM.
TheLowlyThird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLowlyThird For This Useful Post:
murdoc (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
Var

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLowlyThird View Post
The USDM '17's do have automatic leveling, it's a sensor connected to the left rear control arm. I didn't reinstall mine after swapping out control arms since there really wasn't a spot for it, and I didn't know what it was, and my beams got pretty freaky. I personally love the new headlights, they're a nice wide beam, too bright, and I don't have that dead spot you mentioned
Great info! Thanks

The dead spot is me being picky. Comparing it to other cars I've owned, as well as the HIDs on previous year twins. I assure you guys my lights aren't malfunctioning. Like I said above they're great for on-road use other than the low beams being aimed too high and getting high beamed all the time by oncoming traffic. I suppose an interesting project would be to see if I could manipulate that sensor, or sensor signal to make the automatic levelers do my bidding

For now, here is what I have come up with as a fix. One of these under each fog light, facing up and out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8UY53Q

And one of these in the grill, facing up

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-7200l.../dp/B00T7GYDTC
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
Great info! Thanks

The dead spot is me being picky. Comparing it to other cars I've owned, as well as the HIDs on previous year twins. I assure you guys my lights aren't malfunctioning. Like I said above they're great for on-road use other than the low beams being aimed too high and getting high beamed all the time by oncoming traffic. I suppose an interesting project would be to see if I could manipulate that sensor, or sensor signal to make the automatic levelers do my bidding

For now, here is what I have come up with as a fix. One of these under each fog light, facing up and out

You shouldn't need all those lights. Have your eyes checked if you need that much light.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
VIP BRZ (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #23
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
Great info! Thanks

So you plan do drive around on the street with on coming traffic with these lights? Have you seen what the beam pattern these light put out?

These are made for off road or work vehicles that need a full beam pattern in front of them, lighting up everything. You will blind so many people coming the other way. And you live in Cali, the cops will be on you like a fat kid to cake. This is a very poor option.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #24
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
In California you'd actually have to have the light covered every time you get on the highway.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
Var (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
Var

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
So you plan do drive around on the street with on coming traffic with these lights? Have you seen what the beam pattern these light put out?
No of course not. And yes.

Researched beam patterns and decided to try flood first

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
This is a very poor option.
Do you have any better ideas?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #26
Var

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
In California you'd actually have to have the light covered every time you get on the highway.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
Yup...gonna make some DIY leather covers
Old 04-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #27
Var

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
You shouldn't need all those lights. Have your eyes checked if you need that much light.
It's not about the amount of light..it's about where it's pointing. The lights just happen to be bright

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjHttdyw7EE"]Rally Lights Explained - YouTube[/ame]

If you're not interested in rally lighting, go read a different thread?

Thanks for your helpful opinion
Old 04-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #28
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
I know this idea is overly technical, but it would be cool to tap into the steering angle sensor to have the right and left pointing lights to turn on and off when cornering...

FYI. my wife's 2015 Outback does that with its foglights from the factory, There's a button on the dash for SRF, steering responsive fog-lights.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote