follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
BRZ'13

Drives: subaru
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormHachiroku View Post
Hadn't considered that...
What's the fastest way to convert parts into cash though?
These boards, Kijiji, what else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
il have mine up for sale soon. 2013 sportech brz 31k kms for 19 grand. bumper has some damage on it. thats about it
BRZ'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #16
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They're everywhere haha, I found two more:

http://www.firstchoiceautosalvage.co...c1586da21fa04/

http://www.firstchoiceautosalvage.co...8225cc598ab3f/

I would have to agree with others buying a running vehicle might be a better idea. You can find used ones for 14k on Kijiji. Part out the stuff you don't need to recoup the $

Last edited by Guru Woodman; 12-16-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Guru Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LKQ
Stark Auto
Plazek
Impact Auto

I bought a salvage title 2 years ago, front end damage. Total cost of the repairs were around 4.5k (I did most of the work myself).

Ontario recently changed their laws and made inspections harder to pass. Tolerances have to be tighter + some other regulations are changed. OEM parts on the other hand were kind of hard to find (this was in 2014). Check out my instagram @agent__86 for th build pictures.
darko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darko For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
They're everywhere haha, I found two more:

http://www.firstchoiceautosalvage.co...8225cc598ab3f/

I would have to agree with others buying a running vehicle might be a better idea. You can find used ones for 14k on Kijiji. Part out the stuff you don't need to recoup the $
Well the second one would actually be a good buy for what he wanted to do.
Here is it's story:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...66#post2797166

And more info here starting at post 142:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...34#post2784934

It is sort of sad that I recognized the car and knew the story the second I clicked on the salvage link.
Guru Woodman (12-16-2016), unhappymeal (02-01-2017)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:48 AM   #19
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS

they are asking for 6.5k for this one
darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #20
pitotshock
Slow lane

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Came across these guys in the Eastern Townships of Quebec when I was searching for mine, wasn't looking for a damaged title though.

http://www.mrzperformance.com/en/veh...13-manuel-1958

http://www.mrzperformance.com/en/veh...13-manuel-1717
pitotshock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pitotshock For This Useful Post:
FirestormHachiroku (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you bought my totaled red one, PM me. I still have the other remote and it's sitting on my bookshelf doing nothing as both the dealer and collision center did not want it back.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #22
Bent42

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormHachiroku View Post
Hey Guys,
I need a 2017 project! And my FR-S needs a little brother/sister!

I want an insurance write off "totalled" twin but I have no idea where to even start looking for one.

I know I can keep an eye on collision centers, etc.
But there has to be a better way.

If you can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome!
Best deal will be had if you have a friend with a dealer license that can buy at auction. There are "retailers" flipping them but as most have said on here already they want too much to make it worthwhile.
I set a strict budget for myself and bid on 4 cars (all at Impact Auto) before winning one within my budget and I'm very happy with it. No structural damage at all and it will be on the road soon. This route isn't for everybody as there is inherent risk but this is my second one and would do it again.

Here's some before and I'll post some after when it's done.
Attached Images

Bent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bent42 For This Useful Post:
FirestormHachiroku (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent42 View Post
Best deal will be had if you have a friend with a dealer license that can buy at auction. There are "retailers" flipping them but as most have said on here already they want too much to make it worthwhile.
I set a strict budget for myself and bid on 4 cars (all at Impact Auto) before winning one within my budget and I'm very happy with it. No structural damage at all and it will be on the road soon. This route isn't for everybody as there is inherent risk but this is my second one and would do it again.

Here's some before and I'll post some after when it's done.
Looks like one small dent in the crash bar and some body panels. Good score if the price was right. Surprised it wasn't rear ended with those overly blacked out tails.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #24
Bent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Looks like one small dent in the crash bar and some body panels. Good score if the price was right. Surprised it wasn't rear ended with those overly blacked out tails.
Yep, your bang on. The MAF (and the airbox) and 1 of the oil control valves got smashed. The rad got punched but surprisingly the fans and a/c condenser survived. The taillights are brutal. They are getting restored and all the red plastidip in the interior is going too.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #25
Bent42

Progress update

So I guess I'm hijacking this thread but for those that are interested here's some updated pics.
Once I got it disassembled, other than the obvious body damage I found a broken oil control valve, the intake was crushed up against the TB and the MAF was smashed so it barely ran.
Once I had my parts list I scoured the boards and Kijiji and was able to get a stock intake and headlights from a guy west of the city. I scored the bumper (in the right colour) near Ottawa, a pair of BRZ grey fenders in Markham and I have a white hood (not pictured) that I found north of the city. I have a line on a red hood from a member here but he's stopped communicating so we'll see what happens there.
I ordered a new crash bar, rad support and rad from Rock Auto. The car came with an Invidia exhaust that I sold to fund the repairs and I found a stock exhaust almost free from a member here.
Installed the new rad support, it is a bolt in piece except for 4 small spot welds. Mocked up the fenders before paint and trial fit the bumper.
Once the fenders were back from paint I reassembled the front sheet metal as well as installed the new rad (not pictured) and the original fans, which needed some plastic welding on the shroud. Had to buy a new front signal light harness and socket for one side and repair a couple of broken light connectors as well.
I've ordered new wheel well liners and some other small bits to complete the front end work. Once I figure if I'm getting the red hood or not I'll either bolt it on (the hinges need a small tweak) or put the white one on til I find a better hood. The last pic at the bottom is the fully assembled front end with the original hood bent back to shape-ish.
Next on the list is to replace the seat belts, install the new steering wheel and it'll be ready for the road soon.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Bent42 For This Useful Post:
Guru Woodman (05-02-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #26
Bent42

While I don't expect throngs of you awaiting updates, the car is (mostly) done. Took longer than expected as I had a bit of a setback. Driving it into the shop one morning it developed a bad miss and spit a rocker through the valve cover. Thought it bent a valve but in the end it was just a small piece of the airbox plastic that jammed open an intake valve causing the rocker to fallout and get popped through the valve cover. While it was a ton of work to pull the motor and fix, it was a relatively cheap fix. My helper did some disassembly and even did some of the early torque sequences during reassembly.
Back together and it runs perfectly! Popped in a set of Eibach Sportlines and bolted on a set of staggered 18" Fastco FC04's. I had a deal cooked for a mint hood already red but it fell though thus the hood flag covering a white hood I picked up earlier that has some cosmetic challenges.
When all was said and done I'm on the road for exactly half of what the cheapest FR-S listed locally on Kijiji is going for so I'm very happy!
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bent42 For This Useful Post:
FirestormHachiroku (07-15-2017), Lynxis (07-15-2017), Scrappydoo (07-15-2017)