follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
joshlx

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, sometimes a whacked out (not wore out) bad bearing/race will sound like a low pitched growl. Sometimes it's hard to tell where it's coming from.

Be sure to ask them to check the wheel bearings on all wheels that hit the curb at the time of your accident.

humfrz
The symptom is very similar to your description. The dealer said they checked everything.

I'm also thinking about taking it somewhere else, but not decided yet.
joshlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlx View Post
The symptom is very similar to your description. The dealer said they checked everything.

I'm also thinking about taking it somewhere else, but not decided yet.

hmmm......well, if it sounds like a "low pitched growl" or like "road noise" on a rough surfaced road, you might find a "smooth" section of road to see if you notice a difference (i.e. maybe throw the "road noise" off the list of possibilities).

If it didn't make that noise before your accident ..... something ain't right ...

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
joshlx

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Noise is less loud on smooth roads.

I jacked up my car again yesterday. Didn't hear anything weird this time either. Both left/right side.

Guess I'll live with it.

Thanks for the help!
joshlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
rotation your tire , front to rear , rear to front
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #19
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlx View Post
Noise is less loud on smooth roads.

I jacked up my car again yesterday. Didn't hear anything weird this time either. Both left/right side.

Guess I'll live with it.

Thanks for the help!
Wow, my car has the same sound coming from the drivers left tire. Did you ever get that fixed btw?

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
@joshlx @KelvinBRZ

Wondering if you two ever got a diagnosis or resolution to this. I had the axle and left rear hub replaced and am now hearing a faint hollow hum-ish kind of sound from the rear of my car that is louder with the windows up than down (due to less road noise.). LMK.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,589 Times in 18,966 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Wow, my car has the same sound coming from the drivers left tire. Did you ever get that fixed btw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
@joshlx @KelvinBRZ

Wondering if you two ever got a diagnosis or resolution to this. I had the axle and left rear hub replaced and am now hearing a faint hollow hum-ish kind of sound from the rear of my car that is louder with the windows up than down (due to less road noise.). LMK.
Ha! Almost replied to OP. He doesn't mention it but you can tell he's weaving/slaloming to load and unload the bad wheel bearing. If your sound also comes and goes like that and the corresponding tire doesn't show any scallop then it's a safe bet the wheel bearing is toast.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #22
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Im having a similar noise that seems to come from the left front wheel. I have stock rotors and pads and my car is at 30k miles. The noise is very low but i can hear it if i pay attention to it. Subaru checked my brakes they said that they are OK. Any other tips on what should i do?
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #23
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
Im having a similar noise that seems to come from the left front wheel. I have stock rotors and pads and my car is at 30k miles. The noise is very low but i can hear it if i pay attention to it. Subaru checked my brakes they said that they are OK. Any other tips on what should i do?
The pads are almost always touching the rotor and can make some faint dragging/grinding noise. Have you inspected it more yourself? I recommend doing this:
jack the wheel off the ground, support with jackstand(s).
Give it a spin by hand. You should hear the brake pads dragging a bit, but it should be buttery smooth otherwise.
Grab it at a few different 180° locations (12 & 6, then 9 &3, etc) and give the wheel a firm jostle back and forth (push with one hand and pull with the other and wiggle the wheel firmly but quickly) and feel for any play or clunking sound.

What you're looking for:
movement or play when wiggling, any grinding rumbling, or roughness when the wheel spins.

If you're having a hard time noticing anything above the pad noise, you can pull the wheel and remove the brake pads and set the caliper back into position and bolt the wheel back on with a couple lugnuts. This will let you perform the checks again without brake pad noise. IF YOU DO THIS, TIE A HUGE RED RAG ON YOUR STEERING WHEEL AS A REMINDER SO YOU DON'T DRIVE AWAY WITHOUT BRAKE PADS.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (06-09-2017), Tcoat (06-08-2017)