|
||||||
| BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: '13 SWP Limited
Location: Seattle
Posts: 79
Thanks: 344
Thanked 39 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
|
Mods to avoid
Lots of people spend a lot of time researching things to do to their cars. I was wondering what people have done to their car that they would not recommend to others or that they reversed.
So what mods have you guys done that you would avoid? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
-Proud of Brzerhood-
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,153
Thanks: 2,717
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
|
hmm well, if you have a new car. I probably would avoid any mods that would void your warranty. I think that's a safe assumption,besides that I'm not saying avoid forced induction but it's best to be educated and know a lot about the installation process and know your installer. A lot of things can go wrong and it's best if both you and the professional know exactly what they are doing!
I'm sure a lot of people will jump in on this, but this is what comes to my minds on this topic.
__________________
"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Off Topic
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: Vegas, baby!
Posts: 4,610
Thanks: 2,369
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
|
Avoid vinyl graphics and underlighting. Lightweight pulleys are questionable; read all the reviews and make an informed decision. Avoid @Dave-ROR if he's been drinking; you'll get banned.
Last edited by gramicci101; 12-07-2016 at 10:02 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Banned
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Location: rear floor mats
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 1,084
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
|
don't remove the rear floor mats for weight reduction...keep them there otherwise the car drives like it's on ice
trd gas cap...waste of money and no one can see it unless you drive around with your gas lid open jdm tow hooks stickers on the body panels automatic shift knobs replica rocket bunny kits blue led tag lights police siren and police lights |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Dismember
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 5,561
Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,157 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
|
@ichitaka05 <-- that mod is a douche.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
Well ichi can be cranky if you piss him off and Guff is a bit sketchy but it is pretty hard to avoid them.
To answer the real question on mods is almost impossible. For every "don't do it" you will probably get an equal number of "this is how the car should have come from the factory". All you can really do is mod how YOU want. Don't let people tell you that the car "needs" anything unless you thought of it on your own. Even then step back and ask yourself "do I REALLY want that" and "WHY do I want it" before doing anything at all. If you can not answer those two simple questions to yourself then stay away from the mod. People get way too wrapped up in what others think they should do or not do that they lose any form of plan for the car. I wish I had a dollar for ever guy that showed up here and said "It needs 300HP just to function" and when we dig deeper we find they have never even driven one much less own it.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Country Boy 4 Life
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 6,719
Thanked 5,293 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
|
I bought an IKON lip. It needed sooo much sanding and shaping to fit. It was warped too. I only had it on my car for about two weeks. You get what you pay for.
Bought a $20 "armrest" LOL! It is a tiny pillow that is black and red. I have taken almost all the red out of my car now, so it had to go. Steering wheel is about all that I have left is red... The floor mats have red stitch that is hard to see. This add/pic has it correctly labeled as a cushion. Again, you get what you pay for. Was late night shopping, IDK what I was thinking... via Imgflip Meme Generator
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
|
Anti stance.
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Location: Not Canada
Posts: 1,756
Thanks: 939
Thanked 1,026 Times in 582 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Claims can be denied based on cause, but your warranty is never void. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 6,314
Thanks: 8,013
Thanked 6,577 Times in 3,679 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
|
Ferrari badges and fender shield...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Not Bаnned Anymore
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 9,827
Thanks: 14,918
Thanked 8,275 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
|
I try to stay away from all mods as some like ichi taco like to ban me
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Senior Misanthrope
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,490
Thanks: 1,743
Thanked 1,169 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
|
There are a few mods I've regretted:
1) Pulleys. I don't wanna get into it. 2) Ebay lip. Fit like crap. Waste of money. 3) OFT. Nothing really wrong with it, but I should've just accepted the fact that I'd want ECUtek eventually. 4) LED fogs. They look good, but piss people off and I never use them anymore. 5) Master cylinder brace. I honestly can't tell a difference, even on track. 6) SS brake lines. Couldn't tell a difference. Only get these if you need to replace your lines anyway. 7) Raceseng 2" rear shock mounts. I should've gotten the 1". I don't need to be super low. |
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: scion fr-s
Location: montreal
Posts: 217
Thanks: 89
Thanked 148 Times in 77 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
|
Heavy wheel... They destroyed the handling of my car
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
TRD short shifter kit/extension - the USDM bolt-on version. It fits poorly and comes loose.
If you're into that sort of thing there are a few nice short throw shift levers available. Go with one of those.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
I love my series blue brz
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 2010 335d
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 471
Thanks: 12
Thanked 243 Times in 109 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
|
parts that you cannot afford and need to finance for it. -> worse financial decision ever
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Safe mods to avoid warranty- feedback/experience? | slags | BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics | 8 | 09-19-2014 01:05 PM |
| Can't avoid the curse. Tried. | D4S | Mid-Atlantic | 16 | 06-23-2014 11:29 AM |
| What sites do you avoid if you are %$@*! | merlin2111 | Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] | 6 | 07-05-2013 12:55 PM |
| For those in NC avoid this red FRS | Zgrinch | Southeast | 2 | 05-19-2012 03:30 PM |