follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2016, 03:53 AM   #1
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Clicking/popping noise form coilover?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure what the cause of this clicking/clunking/popping noise I keep hearing from my front left coilover. I only hear it when I turn my steering wheel past the 270 degree mark either way I turn it. It didn't make this sound when I first installed my coilovers and its been happening for the last 3 weeks or so. My car is lowered 2" all around and I figured its the axle thats making the noise but the sound occurs even when I'm stationary. Should I check to see if theres anything loose on the strut or the axle?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Often clicking noise from coilovers when turning wheel full lock comes from spring perches not being able to turn for whatever reason (eg. bearing fail in top mount binds for example, or binding from other reasons), due what spring tries to turn together with wheel making those noises, if spring is unable rotate freely.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
kingkenny

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Check the front sway bar end link too .
kingkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
As others have recommended, your A'PEXi EXV N1 coilovers are likely exhibiting spring bind or bearing issues.

6" long 6k springs will have the potential for binding up, especially if they're not a branded spring (Eibach, Swift, Hyperco, etc). When the car is on the ground, turn the steering wheel sideways and look at the springs. If the spring's coils are nearly touching, it's likely to be a binding issue. Lower the preload or swap to stiffer/longer/branded springs.

Regarding the bearing, that's easy to address with the coilovers off the car. Check for rust/damage at the pillow ball and thrust bearing (which is the black plastic ring at the lower perch). When you have 0 mm preload, things should spin smoothly without any slop or grinding.

Last edited by Shankenstein; 10-12-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Sanchez

Drives: 2016 BRZ
As others have mentioned (and based on your description), the springs are binding. This is otherwise known as "coil-bind". A little grease should do the trick.

Excerpt from Megan Racing website:
Quote:
B.) "COIL-BIND"

Coil-bind is only found on McPherson strut applications due to the nature of the strut design. Coil-bind is a "springy" noise that only occurs at low speeds while turning the wheel. Typically, coil-bind is usually experienced for example when maneuvering at slow speeds in a parking lot, where speeds are low and there are a lot of steering angle inputs. The "springy" noises is distinct from the sharper, more direct noises that occur when the assembly is loose and a component is rattling and clunking around from the miscellaneous loads stressed upon the coil-over assembly.

Many times, coil-bind is difficult to diagnose and fix-- some vehicles experience this moreso than others, and it is not a brand-specific issue. What we have suggested as a coil-bind remedy is to apply grease to the upper and lower spring isolators, also referred to as noise prevention cushions. Grease should also be applied to the lower and upper pillow-ball bearing-- this step may require disassembly of the entire coil-over unit.

The details of the coil-bind remedy are depicted in the following photo:

http://www.meganracing.com/tech/faqs...37&subject=CDK
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
MeisterR

Drives: BNR32
If there is no roller bearing incorporated in the coilovers, it will make the popping noise.
Grease is your next best option, but from experience is that it isn't enough to relief the stress especially with the weight of the car on it.

Just one of those thing you have to live with if Apexi designed the coilovers without those bearings.

Jerrick
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I added Torrington bearings to the top of my front coilovers to eliminate coil-bind noise. I think it cost about $100 for a set of 2.