follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 AM   #15
6spd

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
Now this was my thought process originally. As of right now, I have an extra wire connecting the LED + to the old DRL resistor + but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the headlight function. If anyone has any actual pictures of their functioning setup, I would love to see what I might be missing..

I was only thinking to possibly ground the old resistor since when I tapped into the resistor 12v + it didn't seem to produce any power with car running and handbrake down..I was at a loss for why it wasn't getting any power.

Did you get ur car used? Did you have DRL on ur old headlight?
My guessing is that ur DRL function was turned off, you can turn them back on by using techstream or have dealership do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #16
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
Did you get ur car used? Did you have DRL on ur old headlight?
My guessing is that ur DRL function was turned off, you can turn them back on by using techstream or have dealership do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, bought mine brand new. I know my DRL is turned on since it was functioning with my stock headlights.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #17
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hello again,

This is the best I can do. I have some pictures of the connector showing my harness going into it, but there isn't much to see. I hope this helps.

Regards,
MemphisR
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #18
MemphisR
Memphis

Garage
Additionally, we can arrange a time to meet and go over it at a middle spot between us. You aren't that far from me. Bellingham could work.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
Hello again,

This is the best I can do. I have some pictures of the connector showing my harness going into it, but there isn't much to see. I hope this helps.

Regards,
MemphisR
The text box on your picture is actually really helpful! I didn't even think to plug into the car side of the harness! I will try to follow your instructions this weekend. I will be working on it Saturday morning and will actually be up in Bellingham right after! If I can't get it to work, I would love to meet up so you can show me on your car how you got it to work! I will PM you my phone number
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #20
MemphisR
Memphis

Garage
Quote:
The text box on your picture is actually really helpful! I didn't even think to plug into the car side of the harness! I will try to follow your instructions this weekend. I will be working on it Saturday morning and will actually be up in Bellingham right after! If I can't get it to work, I would love to meet up so you can show me on your car how you got it to work! I will PM you my phone number
My text box that shows i have only a rudimentary understanding of how to draw on pictures, since I only use paint?? lol
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #21
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
My text box that shows i have only a rudimentary understanding of how to draw on pictures, since I only use paint?? lol
Well the picture was sort of helpful but I already had a general idea of the layout. What I was really looking for was the nitty gritty of how all the wires were connected and where to - which your text box provided!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:14 AM   #22
dezmoondo

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You can also just take a wire from the positive side of the drl relay and not add a ground from there. Remember, the headlight is already grounded. I did this on mine. I only mad a harness consisting of one wire and it splits off into two and then they are grounded through the factory headlight ground. It also makes it easier to hide the harness you made and takes less time and effort, not much time, but still.

I have a set of JDM lights on my car and now my DRL gets brighter when I flip my switch to the parking light (first click before low beam). So I assume I am not on the brightest mode for my DRL. Is that normal?
dezmoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmoondo View Post
I have a set of JDM lights on my car and now my DRL gets brighter when I flip my switch to the parking light (first click before low beam). So I assume I am not on the brightest mode for my DRL. Is that normal?
Your headlights came with the 7 wires instead of just 6, correct?
Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #24
Brayden_23

Garage
Issue is finally resolved. I ran a wire from the green wire in the resistor harness up to both headlights and attached it to the white (LED+) wire. Just a heads up, your motor has to actually be running to power the DRL harness! If I had known that, I could've saved hours of work..

Headlights now function as follows:
Lights off, handbrake released = DRL LED strip
Parking lights on = turn signals and side markers
Parking lights on, handbrake released = turn signals, side markers, DRL LED strip
Low beams = turn signals, side markers, low beam
High beam = turn signals, side markers, high beam

It does appear that the LED strip is no longer as bright as when it was plugged into the harness but that's ok as it was never intended to be used for actual illumination.

Thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot! Hopefully this can be just another thread to help others in the future.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #25
dezmoondo

Quote:
Your headlights came with the 7 wires instead of just 6, correct?

it did but I rewired it to the original 6 pin connector. I wired my LED from where the resistor used to be. I wonder if that's the reason why the LED are not at it's brightest. I feel like the monogram, 10 series and RS1.0 have much brighter LED than my set up. And I realized with parking light on, my DRL actually lights up brighter.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #26
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
it did but I rewired it to the original 6 pin connector. I wired my LED from where the resistor used to be. I wonder if that's the reason why the LED are not at it's brightest. I feel like the monogram, 10 series and RS1.0 have much brighter LED than my set up. And I realized with parking light on, my DRL actually lights up brighter.
Yeah you aren't imagining things. When the LED strip is on purely from the handbrake, it is taking power from your white wire that you ran to the resistor power wire. When you turn your parking lights on, it switches to taking the power from the green pin in your headlight harness which is providing more power.

I realized this when I just repinned my headlights last night. Before when I was running my LED strip from the harness (keep in mind my headlights only have 6 wires and not 7), the LED strip was super bright. Now that I have it wired to the resistor harness, it is considerably more toned down.

Do the LEDs stay bright when you switch your low beams on? Or do they dim back down?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
dezmoondo

Quote:
Yeah you aren't imagining things. When the LED strip is on purely from the handbrake, it is taking power from your white wire that you ran to the resistor power wire. When you turn your parking lights on, it switches to taking the power from the green pin in your headlight harness which is providing more power.

I realized this when I just repinned my headlights last night. Before when I was running my LED strip from the harness (keep in mind my headlights only have 6 wires and not 7), the LED strip was super bright. Now that I have it wired to the resistor harness, it is considerably more toned down.

Do the LEDs stay bright when you switch your low beams on? Or do they dim back down?

At low beam, it dims again but it's hard to gauge if it is more dimmed than the DRL or the same
Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #28
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
At low beam, it dims again but it's hard to gauge if it is more dimmed than the DRL or the same
The JDM headlights are pinned to always have the LED strip on. When it is just DRLs, they are on low power. Parking lights they are on high power. Low beams they are on low power. High beams they should go back to high power. Completely normal from my understanding.