follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Monogram Headlights on FRS wiring HELP!

To start off, yes I have
Been through pages and pages of the cosmetic section as well as the DIY section and Googled it.

In all the threads I read, everyone seemed to get hung up on the same spot and the question was never answered; the thread would just...end.

I bought and installed some monogram/RS headlights USDM version - the ones that come with an 8-pin harness but only have 6 live pins and not 7 like what will come on any of the JDM/EUDM headlights.

I have used information from here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22 and here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39576 but still haven't figured out my dilemma.

Currently the headlights are functioning, just not in the way I want them to. I have lost DRL functionality and the LED DRL strip is lighting at full power with parking lights, low beam, and high beam. The LED strip at full power is way to bright and nondirectional to be driving around with at night.

I would prefer someone with previous experience or a robust understanding of FRS wiring to inform me how I can wire these headlights up so that the DRL comes on when handbrake is released and with parking lights (just like stock FRS DRL). Then when low beams are on I would like the LED strip to turn off. (I don't necessarily need the strip on all the time like some other people like)

I followed instructions in the second link I provided for repinning the harness. The green wire is nonexistent on this version of the headlights (LED low +) so I stuck the white wire (LED high +) in that slot instead. Later on in the thread it mentions splicing this wire into the 12V power for the resistor (that is now removed) which I have done. This still doesn't work, and seems as though the 12V power line isn't actually getting power?

Has anyone solved this mystery? Or can anyone provide me with instructions on how to do this myself? I hate feeling like a **** driving around like this at night..

TIA!
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Brayden_23

Garage
So after sleeping on it, I'm thinking maybe instead of just tapping into the 12V power for the plug where the resistor used to be attached, I will have to run a wire to ground out the other side of the plug? Does this make sense to anyone more electrical savvy than me?
I didn't originally try to ground it since I figured the LED was already grounded through the headlight attachment. But now after sleeping on it, my understanding is electricity doesn't flow without a ground, so in order to get electricity flowing through the resistor 12V, I have to ground the other side of the connector.

Is anyone able to verify if my theory makes sense before I go through the hassle of removing my bumper again?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
6spd

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I wired my to Resistor plug too, however I added a relay and run power from 12V battery, that way my LED strip is on full power when hand brake is down, also stay on when parking light is turned on, and off when Low beam is on!
However you can further mod the led to stay on when low beam is on even at dimmed LED!
6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
I wired my to Resistor plug too, however I added a relay and run power from 12V battery, that way my LED strip is on full power when hand brake is down, also stay on when parking light is turned on, and off when Low beam is on!
However you can further mod the led to stay on when low beam is on even at dimmed LED!
So do I not need to add a grounding wire to the resistor plug? Do you mind going into further detail with how you wired the relay? I'm an electrical noob and have been just following DIYs I find online..

I want my lights to function exactly as you described yours do. I don't necessarily need them to be on at dimmed power with low beams yet.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
6spd

I have both LED + and LED - wire from Headlight connect to resistor plug via a relay! so the + side of resistor plug act as a signal wire to trigger the relay to fee stable direct 12v power to LED strip!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
I have both LED + and LED - wire from Headlight connect to resistor plug via a relay! so the + side of resistor plug act as a signal wire to trigger the relay to fee stable direct 12v power to LED strip!
Interesting. So you don't have your LED strip connected to the headlight harness at all?

Do you happen to have any pictures that I can use as a reference?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
Interesting. So you don't have your LED strip connected to the headlight harness at all?

Do you happen to have any pictures that I can use as a reference?
there are six wires "Low Beam +/-, High Beam +/-, and LED +/-"
I only have 4 wires which are Hi/Lo +/- connect to car body headlight harness.
I run extension wire from both(L/R) headlights LED +/- to resistor plug
Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
6spd

here is a kindergarden grade graphic illustration
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
there are six wires "Low Beam +/-, High Beam +/-, and LED +/-"
I only have 4 wires which are Hi/Lo +/- connect to car body headlight harness.
I run extension wire from both(L/R) headlights LED +/- to resistor plug
Ok I think I get it now! So I have to unplug the LED ground from the headlight harness as well? Would the functionality still work if I were to leave it plugged in to the harness and just ground the resistor harness to the body?

I wasn't aware you could add relays outside of the fusebox...shows how much I know. What is the reason for adding that relay instead of just running extension wires and splicing in?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #10
6spd

""Relays are switches that open and close circuits electromechanically or electronically. They control one electrical circuit by opening and closing contacts in another circuit. When a relay contact is normally open (NO), there is an open contact when the relay is not energized.""
Its just a preference, I just like to fee stable/consistent power to LED strips, since those headlights are kinda pricy...
Old 10-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
""Relays are switches that open and close circuits electromechanically or electronically. They control one electrical circuit by opening and closing contacts in another circuit. When a relay contact is normally open (NO), there is an open contact when the relay is not energized.""
Its just a preference, I just like to fee stable/consistent power to LED strips, since those headlights are kinda pricy...
Got it. Well, looks like I will have to play with the wiring some more this next weekend. Thanks for your advice!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #12
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You can also just take a wire from the positive side of the drl relay and not add a ground from there. Remember, the headlight is already grounded. I did this on mine. I only mad a harness consisting of one wire and it splits off into two and then they are grounded through the factory headlight ground. It also makes it easier to hide the harness you made and takes less time and effort, not much time, but still.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 AM   #13
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisR View Post
You can also just take a wire from the positive side of the drl relay and not add a ground from there. Remember, the headlight is already grounded. I did this on mine. I only mad a harness consisting of one wire and it splits off into two and then they are grounded through the factory headlight ground. It also makes it easier to hide the harness you made and takes less time and effort, not much time, but still.
Now this was my thought process originally. As of right now, I have an extra wire connecting the LED + to the old DRL resistor + but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the headlight function. If anyone has any actual pictures of their functioning setup, I would love to see what I might be missing..

I was only thinking to possibly ground the old resistor since when I tapped into the resistor 12v + it didn't seem to produce any power with car running and handbrake down..I was at a loss for why it wasn't getting any power.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 AM   #14
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Have you made a separate harness and pinned it into the connector? I don't have and pictures but I can draw one up tomorrow.