follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #113
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
OIC. Unfortunately, "Vegas weather" is getting everywhere. This year, it hit 110 even in my little piece of Hel... Valencia, CA.
We had a 3 weeks of 95 to 100 temperatures in freakin' Canada!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #114
swimmbo

Drives: 2016 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seems the perfect dash cam would have four views- front, back, sides. Lately on facebook I see them come in handy when having discussions with police officers. But the basic one catching the accident here is great, I think I will get one. Thanks for sharing this and hope you recover quickly.
swimmbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #115
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
wow! Good you're ok!

I pulled a 360 in a 3 lane at 40mph bc some idiot cut me off, and on right I had a family van.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHjF6h9US1o"]Bender Shits bricks - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #116
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
The cable can easily be pushed under it as long as you don't have one with ferrite beads on it. The biggest area of concern is making sure the wire does not interfere with the A pillar air bag.
I was able to poke the ferrite bead under the headliner just by flexing it a bit. the ferrite bead actually helps keep it in place. agreed - i took off the A-pillar panel and routed/zip tied the cable out of the way.

by the way, here's some footage from the camera we mounted in my wife's outback. it's the same rexing V1 that i installed in the BRZ. make sure your youtube setting is on HD to get the best quality video:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiIAuEySq0&feature=em-upload_owner"]CRAZY DRIVER COMPILATION - YouTube[/ame]
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #117
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It's not necessary to take off the A pillar trim to hide wiring - pull it away slightly at the top so you can tuck it below the headliner junction, and from there just tuck it behind the rubber seal all the way down to the fuse box. Easy peasy, and it's completely hidden.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #118
Racer-X

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
It's not necessary to take off the A pillar trim to hide wiring - pull it away slightly at the top so you can tuck it below the headliner junction, and from there just tuck it behind the rubber seal all the way down to the fuse box. Easy peasy, and it's completely hidden.
Assuming you are talking about routing the wiring on the drivers side since you mention the fuse box, are you talking about the rubber seal to the left of the A pillar trim nearest the door? If so, it sounds like you might be crossing over the air bag which is a colossally bad idea.

I pulled the A pillar trim off, and ran my wiring from the camera to the passenger side, clipped the wire to the sheetmetal next to the window with the adhesive pads that came with my A119, then at the base of the pillar ran it to the right, down a bit and then up and into the glovebox into a USB adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter port.
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #119
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Quote:
Assuming you are talking about routing the wiring on the drivers side since you mention the fuse box, are you talking about the rubber seal to the left of the A pillar trim nearest the door? If so, it sounds like you might be crossing over the air bag which is a colossally bad idea.

I pulled the A pillar trim off, and ran my wiring from the camera to the passenger side, clipped the wire to the sheetmetal next to the window with the adhesive pads that came with my A119, then at the base of the pillar ran it to the right, down a bit and then up and into the glovebox into a USB adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter port.
I sounds like you did a great and safe job. I need to investigate just exactly where that airbag is.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #120
Racer-X

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I sounds like you did a great and safe job. I need to investigate just exactly where that airbag is.
http://m.imgur.com/ihRSM?r

That's from another thread, and not my photo. The blue is the airbag, and as you can see it extends down the pillar several inches.
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (10-10-2016), Tcoat (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #121
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Its true, the Prius is the official vehicle of Cali
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #122
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
Its true, the Prius is the official vehicle of Cali
Maybe it's because they're so common, but Prius drivers are some of the worst it seems. I dread following them.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #123
SlmedFRS

Drives: Scion FRS, Bagged Lexus IS350
Quote:
No, they only started to claim I could be partially responsible until they saw the video. They accepted full liability after.
Ahh gotta buy myself a dashcam then for these situations
Old 09-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #124
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Quote:

I found a schematic that shows the airbag module, and was surprised to see that it does extend down into the A pillar by several inches - it's not limited to just the headliner over the side window.

Which means my power wire on the driver side, and the wire going to the rear camera on the pass side, cross the side curtain airbags.

This poses a dilemma:

As the BRZ is my wife's daily driver, do I reroute the wiring for her safety, or do I increase the life insurance?

And, as I am generally a lazy person, does anyone know of a good dating website for widowers?
The Following User Says Thank You to geezerbrzeezer For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #125
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,766 Times in 936 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I found a schematic that shows the airbag module, and was surprised to see that it does extend down into the A pillar by several inches - it's not limited to just the headliner over the side window.

Which means my power wire on the driver side, and the wire going to the rear camera on the pass side, cross the side curtain airbags.

This poses a dilemma:

As the BRZ is my wife's daily driver, do I reroute the wiring for her safety, or do I increase the life insurance?

And, as I am generally a lazy person, does anyone know of a good dating website for widowers?
Increasing life insurance might give you more options on the dating sites...
-Just sayin'
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (10-10-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #126
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Sorry guys, but are there any dashcams that record both front towards the road and inside the car at the same time?
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote