follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Boostmaniac

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD rear sway bar

Hey everyone, I have been looking high and low for a rear TRD sway bar to complete my setup for autocross this year but I can only seem to find the set. Does anyone here have a line on a way to just get the rear? I have a Whiteline front and just don't need the TRD front at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Maniac
Boostmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,601 Times in 2,936 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd suggest looking on the For Sale section. Or any of the local For Sale threads. Alternatively... you could buy the full set and then sell the front bar.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I'd suggest looking on the For Sale section. Or any of the local For Sale threads. Alternatively... you could buy the full set and then sell the front bar.
Yeah. It's a hassle to get the "ultimate C-Street setup"... but this is the answer.

I wanted to save my money for revalving the Bilsteins, so I went with a street-friendly setup (Perrin 19 mm front bar). On the soft setting (+25% stiffer than OEM), it's quite docile and the stiffer setting is great for autocross days (+72% stiffer than OEM).

If you're looking to be national-level competitive, you'll want to spend the money on more bar (22 or 25mm front and TRD rear) so that you can get the planted performance in slaloms.

If you're feeling adventurous, try driving with the front sway bar disconnected. It's not going to kill you (as people try to convince you) and it's not inherently unstable. Our cars are well-engineered and it just allows the car to stretch and articulate a bit more. When you reconnect the bar, it will be obvious what handling characteristics come from the sway bar. Potholes and railroad tracks feel more crashy, but situations with weight transfer (transitions and turns with elevation/camber changes) cause the car to feel more planted.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Boostmaniac

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses. I have the whiteline 25mm up front I believe but the amount of high speed understeer even on the softest setting is starting to annoy me. I'm hoping the additional rotation afforded by the TRD rear will help me stay on my intended line instead of understeering towards the corner workers.
Boostmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had TRD front and rear but switched to a softer front bar due to understeer. I have a local event this weekend to test it out.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote