follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
I have attached logs

Cold start stalling, very rich
2 full throttle with boost pulls, lean at around 2-2.5k rpm
1 pull with ESC switched off
1 pull with Stage2 EL E85 with ESC switched off. ------- seems to be OK. I guess the hardware is OK.
Does it stall\run rich on cold start with standard stage 2 EL e85 tune ie non esc ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #16
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Does it stall\run rich on cold start with standard stage 2 EL e85 tune ie non esc ?

No. All other tunes OK. Just occurs with this tune from Shiv and a tune I had converted from USA to A01G
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #17
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
No. All other tunes OK. Just occurs with this tune from Shiv and a tune I had converted from USA to A01G

Hhmmm i have had that once before not sure if its a weird tune corruption or something.

might be best to start with a stage 2 el e85 tune and apply the esc mods to that

i think theirs somthing a miss with the base rom
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
keen as (02-21-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #18
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
shiv now has overboost cut patch and soon flex fuel.

which pretty well means Ecutek
Funny how you say "which pretty much means Ecutek", yet all of the problems described in this thread I've never seen with Ecutek. Load up a base rom, apply RaceROM, good to go. Sorry, you must have forgotten electronic boost control capabilities and all of the available custom maps. Must've also forgotten about how easy it is to datalog, review logs within the same software, then flash, all without ever leaving Ecutek. The only thing it lacks at this point is live tuning. Live tracing is meh.

Not all tuners lock their tunes. Plenty of shops out there will send you the final ROM, just ask. If they say no, take your business elsewhere. I get the hate on locked tunes, but lets be real. "Locked tunes" is the only argument anyone on this forum ever has against Ecutek. Reputable shops will provide the ROMs for you unlocked.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic. Just found that comment quite amusing.
steve99 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
Funny how you say "which pretty much means Ecutek", yet all of the problems described in this thread I've never seen with Ecutek. Load up a base rom, apply RaceROM, good to go. Sorry, you must have forgotten electronic boost control capabilities and all of the available custom maps. Must've also forgotten about how easy it is to datalog, review logs within the same software, then flash, all without ever leaving Ecutek. The only thing it lacks at this point is live tuning. Live tracing is meh.

Not all tuners lock their tunes. Plenty of shops out there will send you the final ROM, just ask. If they say no, take your business elsewhere. I get the hate on locked tunes, but lets be real. "Locked tunes" is the only argument anyone on this forum ever has against Ecutek. Reputable shops will provide the ROMs for you unlocked.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic. Just found that comment quite amusing.
I think that was a typo should have been getting closer to ecutek :-) , but anyway

I have ecutek as well, unfortunatly in my country all ecutek tuners lock tunes, im not sure elsewhere buy very few tuners on any tuning platform will sell you an unlocked tune you can edit yourself, as it means their work can be coppied.

Pretty hard to beat oft on datalogging just plug it in, no laptop required and the tuning alerts are also extremly useful. ( not even ecutek has those)

Tactrix is good as well

Each system has its good points and shortcommings be that functionallity price or ease of use liciencing locking ect.

Pick the one that suits your needs and run with that

Most problems with opensource stuff is because people are doing tuning or fitting parts themselves. Ie thay change someting in tune that has an undesirable effect or some other editing problem. Or they are fitting parts themselves and get air leaks or some other fitment problem

Whereas 99% of ecutek tunes are locked so all you can do is flash ( ive seen a few flash issues with ecutek as well and just last month to ecutek guys bricked ecu due bad obd connectors) same issues as opensource.

The main reason ecutek is not used much especially on NA cars in our country is price

Tune on a naturally aspirated BRZ\86 is about $1800 australian dollars and it locked and that no cable included in that price either. And they wont do e85\petrol switchable tune, thay will only do it with full flex fuel and your looking at arround $3000 with flex.

If you could provide a list of reputable ecutek tuners that wouls provide unlocked editable by end user tunes that would be good im sure a lot of people would be interested.

Jamesm was on this forum did at one point but he does not do remote tunes any more i believe, and he was the only ecutek guy im aware of that does unlocked tunes.

Last edited by steve99; 02-29-2016 at 05:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (03-01-2016), tato.valverde (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
BRZoomTX

Quote:
I think that was a typo should have been getting closer to ecutek :-) , but anyway

I have ecutek as well, unfortunatly in my country all ecutek tuners lock tunes, im not sure elsewhere buy very few tuners on any tuning platform will sell you an unlocked tune you can edit yourself, as it means their work can be coppied.

Pretty hard to beat oft on datalogging just plug it in, no laptop required and the tuning alerts are also extremly useful. ( not even ecutek has those)

Tactrix is good as well

Each system has its good points and shortcommings be that functionallity price or ease of use liciencing locking ect.

Pick the one that suits your needs and run with that

Most problems with opensource stuff is because people are doing tuning or fitting parts themselves. Ie thay change someting in tune that has an undesirable effect or some other editing problem. Or they are fitting parts themselves and get air leaks or some other fitment problem

Whereas 99% of ecutek tunes are locked so all you can do is flash ( ive seen a few flash issues with ecutek as well and just last month to ecutek guys bricked ecu due bad obd connectors) same issues as opensource.

The main reason ecutek is not used much especially on NA cars in our country is price

Tune on a naturally aspirated BRZ\86 is about $1800 australian dollars and it locked and that no cable included in that price either. And they wont do e85\petrol switchable tune, thay will only do it with full flex fuel and your looking at arround $3000 with flex.

If you could provide a list of reputable ecutek tuners that wouls provide unlocked editable by end user tunes that would be good im sure a lot of people would be interested.

Jamesm was on this forum did at one point but he does not do remote tunes any more i believe, and he was the only ecutek guy im aware of that does unlocked tunes.
I understand your points. Yes it is more expensive, but cost should not be a concern when running aftermarket FI on a N/A factory car. If people are concerned with cost, they shouldn't be modding these vehicles this drastically. That being said, most Ecutek tunes are anywhere from $800 to $1200 tuned, good to go. That is about the rates you'll see from getting a dyno tune with also needing to buy the $300 license. That cost is significantly cheap in comparison to other platforms. I'll in over 5k for my "tune" when I switch to motec. Its expensive, and if people dont have the money to replace a blown motor after voiding their warranty, they shouldn't be messing with cheap tunes.

I had no issues finding two different shops here in DFW which would leave my Ecutek tune unlocked. However the plan is motec now so that doesn't apply, but still... All you have to do is ask. If they say no, take your business elsewhere. Simple as that.

Flashing features? I've had zero issues with over 200 flashes on my car with Ecutek, where I'd have frequent connection issues getting things to write without errors when using a tactrix cable. I haven't used OFT on my car so I can't comment how well it works, however the OBD pin issue can't really be blamed on either option. Both would fail if that connection is lost.

Ecutek does have a recovery mode if there is a connection error during a flash. Just re-flash a stock ROM to repair the ECU, then re-flash your custom tune. Good to go. Not sure if OFT has that, but Ecutek needs the credit where credit is due. It is currently much more refined.
steve99 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #21
steve99
Banned

Sounds like tuners are on every street corner onver there here not many and almost all lock tunes especially on e utek or brzexiAgree ecutek is more sorted but just like guy fitting thdir own turbos some like to do own tuning and write their own code in some cases to do so it all depends what you want. Everyone free to make their choice Their are some tuners here using brzedit with good results on turbo and SC cars ás well as ecutek. Ecutek is the easiest option for most as the work is already done.

All ststems seem to have a recovery reflah mode but none will save you 100% of the time..

I believe ecutek however is the only one you can ship your ecu to for a bench unbrick at this time
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Sounds like tuners are on every street corner onver there here not many and almost all lock tunes especially on e utek or brzexiAgree ecutek is more sorted but just like guy fitting thdir own turbos some like to do own tuning and write their own code in some cases to do so it all depends what you want. Everyone free to make their choice Their are some tuners here using brzedit with good results on turbo and SC cars ás well as ecutek. Ecutek is the easiest option for most as the work is already done.

All ststems seem to have a recovery reflah mode but none will save you 100% of the time..

I believe ecutek however is the only one you can ship your ecu to for a bench unbrick at this time
DFW, TX. We have a good amount of speed shops around here I'd say.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:14 AM   #23
Dakines

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztan View Post
As long as you are happy tuning yourself, or have a tuner who is happy using RomRaider, you can use OFT or Tactrix.

I've tuned my Greddy kit with RomRaider and Tactrix - can send you my ROM (based on A01G) for an idea of how it runs.

i think i need your greddy rom,can u send it to me? thanks.

Last edited by Dakines; 07-17-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Dakines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #24
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakines View Post
i think i need your greddy rom,can u send it to me? thanks.

my mail is pa0107@qq.com
Dropbox link sent.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:17 AM   #25
Dakines

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztan View Post
Dropbox link sent.

thanks,i got it.

i love u,aha. By the way, how many bar with your T518 turbo?

Last edited by Dakines; 08-31-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Dakines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #26
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just chiming in...

OFT is not limited by the power platform you choose for the car, its limited by the tuner.

Shiv is the only person I know that actively tunes with OFT; I know their are a few members which have helped others out by helping supply or even fine tune existing tunes, but you will be hard pressed to find a shop that's willing to tune with it. I know because I've asked a handful of tuners, only one of them was willing to do it, at a pretty high expense simply due to the extra steps and time required.

Because of this I'm leaving my short love affair with OFT to move over to ECUTek. Shiv is a great guy, and I trust his tunes; but I think he's pushing the limits of the workload he has as this platform gains popularity and more affordable power options available
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #27
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakines View Post
thanks,i got it.

i love u,aha. By the way, how many bar with your T518 turbo?
0.7 Bar with E85 and stock motor.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #28
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
the ECU has a built in recover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
I understand your points. Yes it is more expensive, but cost should not be a concern when running aftermarket FI on a N/A factory car. If people are concerned with cost, they shouldn't be modding these vehicles this drastically. That being said, most Ecutek tunes are anywhere from $800 to $1200 tuned, good to go. That is about the rates you'll see from getting a dyno tune with also needing to buy the $300 license. That cost is significantly cheap in comparison to other platforms. I'll in over 5k for my "tune" when I switch to motec. Its expensive, and if people dont have the money to replace a blown motor after voiding their warranty, they shouldn't be messing with cheap tunes.

I had no issues finding two different shops here in DFW which would leave my Ecutek tune unlocked. However the plan is motec now so that doesn't apply, but still... All you have to do is ask. If they say no, take your business elsewhere. Simple as that.

Flashing features? I've had zero issues with over 200 flashes on my car with Ecutek, where I'd have frequent connection issues getting things to write without errors when using a tactrix cable. I haven't used OFT on my car so I can't comment how well it works, however the OBD pin issue Ican't really be blamed on either option. Both would fail if that connection is lost.

Ecutek does have a recovery mode if there is a connection error during a flash. Just re-flash a stock ROM to repair the ECU, then re-flash your custom tune. Good to go. Not sure if OFT has that, but Ecutek needs the credit where credit is due. It is currently much more refined.

I've recovered a tactrix half flash... the ECU itself has a built in recover that allows you to then just reflash.

Since the tunes aren't locked there's no need for a special recover mode.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote