follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
SwaggFPS

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
LCAs/Front Camber Bolt needed with Lowering Springs??

Before anything, I know a lot of you will say to get coilovers. Believe me, I want them too, just don't want to wait to save enough for the set of Feals I want. Not yet at least.

Now to the point. I'm getting RCE Tarmac Springs, they are said to have a 20 mm drop f/r. I want to know if its absolutely necessary to get LCAs/Front Camber Bolts with that amount of drop? If not, I rather use that $ on other parts. I know that with a drop, its a good idea to get adjustable end links so that the swaybars don't bind. So I would rather put my $ on that. Just don't know what would be the better choice.

Should I get LCAs/FCB as well, or put that $ elsewhere?

Thanks for you replies.

Mid-TN
SwaggFPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
ChrisSC300

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
First off, if your going to be using the stock struts, I would recommend the RCE yellow springs. Same drop but not quite as stiff. Much better suited to the OEM shocks than the Tarmacs.
As far as camber bolts and LCA arms. Absolutely necessary? No. Highly recommended? Yes. At least camber bolts. I have the RCE Tarmac springs along with Bilstein B8 shocks on my car and my rear camber is -1.9 & -2.0 naturally from the drop. I'm happy with it so LCA are not in the plans as of yet. Camber Bolts on the other hand are so cheap and make such a big difference in handling its silly not to use them. Especially since your gonna need an alignment after the springs anyway.
ChrisSC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSC300 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (07-30-2016), SwaggFPS (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
SwaggFPS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC300 View Post
First off, if your going to be using the stock struts, I would recommend the RCE yellow springs. Same drop but not quite as stiff. Much better suited to the OEM shocks than the Tarmacs.
As far as camber bolts and LCA arms. Absolutely necessary? No. Highly recommended? Yes. At least camber bolts. I have the RCE Tarmac springs along with Bilstein B8 shocks on my car and my rear camber is -1.9 & -2.0 naturally from the drop. I'm happy with it so LCA are not in the plans as of yet. Camber Bolts on the other hand are so cheap and make such a big difference in handling its silly not to use them. Especially since your gonna need an alignment after the springs anyway.
Would the Yellows really make much of a difference? They'e only 0.5 kg softer. Also, I might be wrong, but I thought the rear camber needed to be as close to zero as possible? You're right about the camber bolts, so I guess I should get them too.

Mid-TN
Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
SwaggFPS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC300 View Post
Ok, so after replying to you I did some more research. First of all, I apologize, your rear camber seems right (of course), my mistake lol. Second, the Yellows might be the best choice given that I'll be using the stock shocks. So I'll be getting the Yellows with the front bolts, and get the LCAs shortly after.

Also, I didn't mention that I'm mainly using my car as a DD with AutoX/Drifting once a month.

Mid-TN
The Following User Says Thank You to SwaggFPS For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Definitely get camber bolts. You need some way to adjust the front camber. Wait on the rear LCAs until you've lowered it and gotten it aligned; you might not need them. My rear camber is -2 on both sides just from lowering, so LCAs would be a needless expense for me.

My front camber with bolts in the top hole is -1.7. Not an ideal complement to the rear -2, but it'll do. I can put the camber bolt in the bottom hole and a crash bolt in the top hole, or keep the camber bolt in the top hole and put another one in the bottom hole to get more camber if I need it.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you get the Yellows you probably will not need rear LCAs.

If you're autocrossing once a month, front camber will make your life a lot better as well as help your tires last longer.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
SwaggFPS (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
ChrisSC300

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
The great thing about the RCE yellow or Tarmac springs is that the drop is very mild and performance oriented. The 20mm drop does not give the rear of the car bad negative camber. The only reason to really get LCA with these springs is if there is a large variance between Rt & Lft. Which you wouldn't know till you have had an alignment.

For example my rear camber was -1.8 L & -2.2R a month after I had the springs put on. Then I had the car aligned again 6 months later and it evened out even more to -1.9L & -2.0R

The Yellows are a great spring for autoX. Great performance increase for the money. Also definitely get the camber bolts if your going to autoX, that little bit extra negative camber up front goes a long way. My front camber was around -.3 L&R before camber bolts and -1.4L & -1.5R with the bolts, Night and Day difference on the autoX course. Turn in and cornering grip was way better.

As far as the coilover comment in the original post. Don't be fooled into thinking coilovers are better than springs just because. Your RCE yellow springs will out perform most low budget coilovers. Add a set of quality dampers (Bilstein b6 or b8) and they will out perform just about everything under $2k for half the price. You just wont have the height adjustability.
ChrisSC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSC300 For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (08-17-2022), Racecomp Engineering (07-30-2016), strat61caster (07-30-2016), SwaggFPS (07-30-2016), Williampreza (02-26-2019)