follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
KDOS702

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Transmission upgrades for boosted FR-S

Hello everyone,

Loooong time lurker here, finally posting for the first time. Usually I am able to find any information I need by searching the forums, but I couldn't really find any helpful information in regards to transmission upgrades and FI. So, my question is, what would I need to upgrade in my tranny if my goal is 400 whp and roughly 300 ft lb torque? My car is currently at a shop and is getting forged internals for a turbo install later on. They told me that I only needed an upgraded clutch and flywheel for the transmission to hold up. But, something tells me I might need something else...

Also, if there is another post about this, I apologize in advance.
KDOS702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The manual transmissions may or may not chew up 4th gear at 400+ hp. Some people have no problems; others have the same problem over and over.

Here's a thread for someone that had a few custom cut hardened gear sets. I'd wait to make sure it's necessary though.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88757
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd worry about the engine first...but do some searching
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
86Tony (04-12-2018)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
I'd worry about the engine first...but do some searching
He said he was getting internals done....

@KDOS702 anything over 300whp on this trans is where it starts to become iffy. As gramicci101 has said, once you get into those numbers some have no transmission issues while others have problems galore. There arent a ton of options but depending on how much you wanna spend there are now a couple options. FBM makes an adapter kit for the V160/161, PAR makes a straight cut gear set, i believe Velox is working on a less expensive stronger partial gear set, or you can go full sequential. There are a couple other options but do some searching and you can get more specific information for your needs.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drakiv For This Useful Post:
DHitHim (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It depends on how you drive it. If you're gentle, I bet you can go a long, long time on a stock transmission. If you're racing, not so much.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
KDOS702

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Thank you for all the great information everyone. Very helpful!!!
KDOS702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
DHitHim

Drives: 2015 CWP Limited BRZ
I like the PAR Engineering Straight cut gear option. 12 Month warranty too. And Supplied by Jack's Transmissions. Only issue is the wait time.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #8
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHitHim View Post
I like the PAR Engineering Straight cut gear option. 12 Month warranty too. And Supplied by Jack's Transmissions. Only issue is the wait time.
There prices are overpriced as hell and only a moron would pay those prices. We need a Chinese manufacture to start undercutting some of these guys. 4k+ isn't reasonable nor realistic. The guy is trying to make way to much markup.

Tremec t-56 is only $3700 and that's complete, ya sure you need a bell housing and other custom fab. But for someone to spend 4k on this glass trans isn't smart.

If this guy can drop the price for a more realistic price of 1-2k then I hate to hear about gear sets
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
There prices are overpriced as hell and only a moron would pay those prices. We need a Chinese manufacture to start undercutting some of these guys. 4k+ isn't reasonable nor realistic. The guy is trying to make way to much markup.

Tremec t-56 is only $3700 and that's complete, ya sure you need a bell housing and other custom fab. But for someone to spend 4k on this glass trans isn't smart.

If this guy can drop the price for a more realistic price of 1-2k then I hate to hear about gear sets

So why aren't you making these gear sets? No one is forcing anyone to spend the money on gears. If a T-56 is only $3700 + custom fab and bell housing costs then why complain? Just because someone has the money to spend on something they feel they want, and you don't want to spend that money or have the money to spend on it does not make that person a moron. BTW the cost for that PAR set is by far cheaper than the Greddy ones that they released as they cost $12k before install. And it's not a "glass trans" once you have those gears installed, so I would say it was pretty smart. I didn't have to custom fabricate anything or get a custom bell housing, I got to keep everything looking stock and that's what I was looking for. If you want a Chinese gear set, go for it and let me know how that goes. It won't affect the price of the others much if at all because you pay for what you get. And I would still pay for these gears I got.

On a final note: the PAR gear set cost more now than the $4k, that was a special 20% discounted introductory group price that we got.

Instagram: Drakiv

Last edited by Drakiv; 07-30-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drakiv For This Useful Post:
DHitHim (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post

Yeah, we need someone to do a crap knockoff version of lesser quality so legit companies don't want to invest the time and money to develop quality parts to fill a void that is needed...

It's not ever cheap to develop a new part from scratch...the vendor is simply trying to recoup development costs and make at least some profit (they are not a charity)
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
DHitHim

Drives: 2015 CWP Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiv View Post
So why aren't you making these gear sets? No one is forcing anyone to spend the money on gears. If a T-56 is only $3700 + custom fab and bell housing costs then why complain? Just because someone has the money to spend on something they feel they want, and you don't want to spend that money or have the money to spend on it does not make that person a moron. BTW the cost for that PAR set is by far cheaper than the Greddy ones that they released as they cost $12k before install. And it's not a "glass trans" once you have those gears installed, so I would say it was pretty smart. I didn't have to custom fabricate anything or get a custom bell housing, I got to keep everything looking stock and that's what I was looking for. If you want a Chinese gear set, go for it and let me know how that goes. It won't affect the price of the others much if at all because you pay for what you get. And I would still pay for these gears I got.

On a final note: the PAR gear set cost more now than the $4k, that was a special 20% discounted introductory group price that we got.
20% isn't that bad. At least it's still available. As long as it is still cheaper than a v160 I am good. Plus I'm sure this PAR set up is still cheaper with it installed than a t56 with bellhousing adapter, custom driveshaft and mount.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #12
Fenix

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S + 2011 Yamaha R6
Garage
I would like to see someone here who bought the PAR Engineering set make a video review.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote