follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Those are just the JDM underbody panels. They were standard in the 2013 high trim BRZ/86 in Japan.
Has this been confirmed somewhere? Underbody photo?

Not sure how those underbody composite plastic panels constitute an "insulator". I guess they could serve as a heat shield, but given where they are installed this function would not come into play. I thought the panels were installed simply for aerodynamic purposes, to reduce drag.

Update: According to this review adding the panels, which are in fact intended to reduce drag, does have some noise reduction impact, so if these are what we are getting, the MCR cars should be a bit quieter at speed.

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 07-15-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #16
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I wouldn't say never. I would say it's not likely to happen until Gen2. At that point there is no real reason not to.
They didn't do it so many years. There were many requests from owners, fans, journalists etc. Next generation will be a harder project and maybe Toyota and Subaru will go into different directions. They will need to pass even more strict emissions and consumption rules. In 5 years from now, even a 2000cc engine will be a dream for a budget platform.

Anyway, this is just my own opinion.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-15-2016), DAEMANO (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Power isn't really the issue for me with the GT86/BRZ - I don't mind pushing a car hard to get the acceleration I want, in fact that can be part of the fun if the car sounds great under WOT. (Slow car fast etc.) But that's where I think the twins fall down - compared to some of their near-competitors like the GTI, the 124 Abarth, and the Civic SI, the engine sounds harsh and unrewarding at power, and for me this really takes away from the fun of pushing on, it's essential to any good sportscar.

I'll test drive to find out for myself, but according to this review it doesn't seem the MCR has addressed that weakness, even though Tada himself admitted around the time of the initial rollout that the sound of the car could be improved.
Agree on the sound of the stock car. I never cared for it much. With a UEL header and a CBE, it's much improved.

Interestingly the GTI only sounds good because it's artificial. At least on my 2011 there's a sound generating device attached to the firewall that's tuned to mimic a 5-cylinder engine note. Unfortunately it only works inside the cabin. From the outside the GTI still sounds like an angry vacuum cleaner IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
I love this guys comment.

A wannabe Nissan GT-R for deeply indebted boys living in mum's basement - desperately paying student loan premiums - in hope that Bernie Sanders will save them with a $50 per hour minimum wage

Where do these people come from? LOL
How was the 86/BRZ ever a GTR wannabe?
LOL yeah I don't think it's possible to have gotten that more wrong.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #18
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,001 Times in 11,401 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
They will need to pass even more strict emissions and consumption rules. In 5 years from now, even a 2000cc engine will be a dream for a budget platform
I don't think emissions and consumption will be a barrier in 5 years. That hasn't been a hold up for the last 30.

The 86 has more horsepower than my 1983 Z28 V8 L68/HO had (190bhp) and about twice the fuel economy.

Not saying they will or will not do anything about the power in Gen2, just saying if they were going to, that would seem the most likely place to do it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Has this been confirmed somewhere? Underbody photo?

Not sure how those underbody composite plastic panels constitute an "insulator". I guess they could serve as a heat shield, but given where they are installed this function would not come into play. I thought the panels were installed simply for aerodynamic purposes, to reduce drag.

Update: According to this review adding the panels, which are in fact intended to reduce drag, does have some noise reduction impact, so if these are what we are getting, the MCR cars should be a bit quieter at speed.

This was copied directly from the Japanese Subaru website:

フルフロアアンダーカバー(フロア下、燃料タンク下)

床下をフラットにすることで空力性能をさらに高めます。

If you translate those words above, it reads:

Full floor under cover ( under the floor , under the fuel tank )

Further enhances the aerodynamic performance by the under-floor flat

The US BRZ PDF used similar language.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Sport-Tech (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #20
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
my brother says this engine sounds like a lil girl screaming under acceleration lmfao
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #21
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think emissions and consumption will be a barrier in 5 years. That hasn't been a hold up for the last 30.

The 86 has more horsepower than my 1983 Z28 V8 L68/HO had (190bhp) and about twice the fuel economy.

Not saying they will or will not do anything about the power in Gen2, just saying if they were going to, that would seem the most likely place to do it.

It is a barrier even now. Why do you think they cannot solve the torque dip issue? They did so many engine changes and they managed to get 5hp. I am not saying it'll have less maximum power. The 2nd gen. might be in the range of 220-230hp. However, this will come from a very small engine 1.4/1.6lt with additional helpers. Will it be better in reality? I doubt it. It is like saying that the new Porsche Boxster with the 4cylinder turbo engine is better than the old 6cylinder NA engine. In the technical specs it is better. In reality, everyone is dreaming the old 6cylinder engine.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-15-2016), WolfpackS2k (07-20-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #22
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,001 Times in 11,401 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It is a barrier even now.
Point taken.

They could always make G2 all electric, and solve the torque/speed/MPG/emissions problem altogether.

Of course, I won't buy one.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #23
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Point taken.

They could always make G2 all electric, and solve the torque/speed/MPG/emissions problem altogether.

Of course, I won't buy one.
Looking at Tada's hints about a "hybrid" system for the next Gen some think that means a Prius-like system. I think it's actually a lot more like either the Phantom ESC in my car, Volvo's Drive-E platform or the system in the Audi SQ7 and the new 48 volt unit in the SQ5. These are 1.4 to 2.0L powerplants that put out great HP and amazing TQ numbers with no lag and 35+ MPG. Both Audi & Volvo have yet to install these engines in smaller cars, but it's coming. The aftermarket Phantom ESC 24V system I run dyno'd ~223 WHP / 207 TQ (est ~260 BHP/ 235 "B"TQ) on only 5psi and has run like a clock for over 2 years. My setup has almost no complexity for the end user whatsoever. I would not be surprised at all to see Toyota head in this direction.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
My only real question is how well the upgraded brakes will stand up to track abuse. Are they the equivalent of the sprint kit or not? My guess is not. A sport setup should also come with an oil cooler.

Why not significantly more power? First, they'll need to upgrade the transmission. Second, mileage. Third, cost. People already balk at the car for $30k. So then you add sound deadening and electronically adjustable damping. Soon you have a 40k car. a 228i is <$34k MSRP.

I may be the only one, but I like the sound of the Borla EL header.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
goldenfri

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Send a message via AIM to goldenfri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
My only real question is how well the upgraded brakes will stand up to track abuse. Are they the equivalent of the sprint kit or not? My guess is not. A sport setup should also come with an oil cooler.

Why not significantly more power? First, they'll need to upgrade the transmission. Second, mileage. Third, cost. People already balk at the car for $30k. So then you add sound deadening and electronically adjustable damping. Soon you have a 40k car. a 228i is <$34k MSRP.

I may be the only one, but I like the sound of the Borla EL header.
The upgraded brakes should be fine on the track at stock power levels. The rotors are almost as big as the stoptech BBK kit I have on my S2000. 12.8 vs 12.9
goldenfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #26
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Agree on the sound of the stock car. I never cared for it much. With a UEL header and a CBE, it's much improved.

Interestingly the GTI only sounds good because it's artificial. At least on my 2011 there's a sound generating device attached to the firewall that's tuned to mimic a 5-cylinder engine note.
Subaru should have licensed the sound tech from the new Brabus ForTwo - artificial or not, it sounds sweet, if a little misplaced in such a tiny car:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsnt5XkM9A"]Smart Brabus ForTwo | onboard | PistonHeads - YouTube[/ame]
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #27
cjny

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
I had an '82 Z28. The 5 liter engine produced a whopping 145 hp. It was Motor Trend's car of the year, critically acclaimed, and lots of fun to drive. The BRZ is even more fun. Frankly, I don't see the need for more HP in the 86.
cjny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjny For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #28
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I only DD the car but, the engine sounds perfectly fine inside the car due to the sound tube. I don't have to drive like an idiot in order to get a great sound out of it. I'm also not one of those people that feels a need to scream to the world that I drive something truly exotic with a loud and incredible engine.

The flip side is I never owned some of the other great cars people have so my own perspective is likely laughably narrow, but then how many of you have actually wound this car all the way out to the 7500rpm redline? Even stock the engine sounds plenty angry and awesome to me.

With ever changing and stricter noise and emission laws engines will get quieter and quieter. Even in this review the reasoning for why the A/T could not have the 4.3 FD ratio was because it would not pass drive by noise limitations. I can kinda vouch for that as my own 4.556 FD ratio keeps my car at around 2100RPM in 4th while cruising at 60kph, which certainly sounds louder.

Years into the future people will look back on this car and think it was in a golden era when a 4 cylinder car could not only remain N/A, but have a big bore 2.0L engine that could be wound all the way out to 7500rpm. Sadly many will lament not realizing how good it really was till it was gone.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-17-2016), Zaku (07-20-2016)