follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Senoko

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Invidia N1 and cops

Hi I just bought a brand new 2016 FR-S yesterday. My first mod is going to be an exhaust system. Was wondering if anyone is using the Invidia N1 and if you have any trouble with cops?
Senoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
89_Manny

Drives: Firestorm FR-S '13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoko View Post
Hi I just bought a brand new 2016 FR-S yesterday. My first mod is going to be an exhaust system. Was wondering if anyone is using the Invidia N1 and if you have any trouble with cops?

Nope none at all. I have two other friends with the N1 and they haven't had issues either. (knock on wood) oh and I've been pulled over for speeding going 55 on a 40mph and the cop was pretty cool about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89_Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Barusu

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Invidia N1 and cops

Here in the inland empire I didn't have any issues with cops with JUST my Invidia N1 installed. If you plan on doing any other exhaust modifications like headers then I would stray away from the Invidia N1 if cops are your concern, because once you open up more exhaust flow your car will get louder. This exhaust does drone as well inside if you care about that. I recently just swapped my N1 to an Invidia Q300, because of the drone/exhaust noise that it produced with my uel headers, but to each their own. Regardless of the drone and decibel level I did however love the sound that this exhaust produced. Before and after headers I loved the sound even more, but as mentioned it was just a bit too loud for my preference.

Someone posted about this topic recently in the canada forum: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106520
Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Unfortunately i know people who get pulled over even with a silencer on, and I've been on uncated headers and a exhaust on for almost a year now. Last time i got pulled over was from swerving on the freeway from being tired after work. Hpd just let me off on a warning.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
nova.86
Legendary Member

Drives: HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A catback by itself won't do anything don't worry. Pair a catback with a aftermarket uncattd front pipe, or uncatted aftermarket headers and you got some sound, nice sound and relatively noticeable, especially if you step on it.

Now, if you go full exhaust, aftermarket headers, front pipe, catback, then you got a full race car exhaust and cops will hear you from miles. You'll wake up neighbors street away lol.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
its a decent setup, and will probably be fine for DD without cop issues.

More about how you drive, than how loud your car is (usually...).

If you plan on getting other exhaust parts, you might wanna check out a slightly quieter system so the car isn't too loud when all set and done.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
2broke4turbo

Drives: '13 frs 6MT
i haven't had any issues with cops. i have a catless header as well. that being said, if i do see a cop i shift to the next gear immediately just to be safe.
2broke4turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Deagle50

Drives: Ultramarine FRS, (MILA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoko View Post
I have an Invidia N1, Tomei UEL header and non catted HKS front pipe. I havent had any trouble with the police and ive been running this setup for a cool minute now. Keep in mind i dont drive like an asshole and dont rev my engine every chance i get. You should be fine just dont give them a reason to stop you
Deagle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Barusu

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagle50 View Post
I have an Invidia N1, Tomei UEL header and non catted HKS front pipe. I havent had any trouble with the police and ive been running this setup for a cool minute now. Keep in mind i dont drive like an asshole and dont rev my engine every chance i get. You should be fine just dont give them a reason to stop you
So how many neighbors do you wake up on cold start?
Barusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
Deagle50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barusu View Post
So how many neighbors do you wake up on cold start?
yea cold start with my setup makes me feel bad turning on my car in the morning ;( but as soon as it warms up it relatively relaxed
Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
I have N1 just cat back like most fokes here. No issues with it just like the rule of thumb with any thing around cops. Drive responsible don't give them a reason to harass you and most of the time you will be fine. I plan to do full catless front pipe and headers next spring and if its as loud as people say it is I may switch my axle back to something quieter.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Hmm.. I'm running a full catless setup with the N1 catback, cops leave me be since I'm not doing anything obnoxious. It's loud though, the cold start is nuts.

Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
edduben

Drives: FR-S
I have Tomei header, invidia front pipe and overpipe with the N1 and haven't had any issues with LAPD. This is an extreme set up. I've had neighbors mention that I'm their morning alarm haha but no troubles yet. N1 alone shouldn't be too bad.

I am looking to get rid of my set up if you are still interested in purchasing some parts. I think I'm going to end up getting rid of the car soon.
edduben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
Deagle50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
I have N1 just cat back like most fokes here. No issues with it just like the rule of thumb with any thing around cops. Drive responsible don't give them a reason to harass you and most of the time you will be fine. I plan to do full catless front pipe and headers next spring and if its as loud as people say it is I may switch my axle back to something quieter.
i will post a video soon of my set up so u can see what it sounds like. No revving just cold start.