follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #43
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
They wouldn't badge another model with the tS around. Unless I'm mistaken, the reason cars get badges tS or STI is dependent on who leads the project from STI (tS of course being Tatsumi). And I'm thinking that the levorg STI has more going on underneath the car in subtle ways, similar to how the BRZ tS improved on the chassis with the extended bolts, collars, etc. these things don't make headlines but can make differences nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the reason why there has never been a factory model BRZ STI is because STI was probably already consulted upon during the twins' initial development.

It's the same reason why there was never a Type R version of the S2000, because the developers were probably the very same folks that created Type R versions of the factory's everyday road cars (no need to convert the S2000 into a sports car when it already is, but the existence of the NSX Type R is arguable).

STI makes it very clear that tS models (aftermarket) have nothing to do with Subaru/FHI (factory), but I think this could change in the future if they want to do a worldwide launch of their brand (gotta copy the Germans every step of the way).

What a farce, they shouldn't have called WRX STI this very name to begin with. Honda is so clear cut, it's either Type R (factory) or Mugen (aftermarket) without confusion.

I think Mr. Impreza is probably right, it'll just be another overpriced color model.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-09-2016 at 11:53 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (06-09-2016), Zaku (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #44
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,523 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
This yellow color will just be a waste of time. It's just going be another hyerblue series, or hikari edition or whatever else they decide to call it for adding some aero kit.

Maybe, it will have the performance package (because that works in marketing today) but for normal drivers it's pointless. Unless your a track person, for most drivers like myself who don't track, the stock brakes can handle the power output perfectly. I don't need Brembo's to stop at a red light. Same goes for suspension components.

This will just be another overpriced special edition.

If you’re satisfied with the base vehicle that’s great for you. However, some of us demand more from our cars, and I’m not referring to track days or any form of competition. My wife was so impressed with the stopping power of the Brembo brakes on my 2006 STi that when she went to buy her hatch she wouldn’t look at a plain WRX. After putting up with the mushy suspension on her 2011 STi for four years she went out last fall and bought a 2016 STi. Now she’s totally happy and a happy wife means a happy life.

You may not think that bigger brakes are necessary but my wife and I are glad we’ve got them. After numerous panic stops over the years it’s meant the difference between getting to our destinations or making a call to our insurance company.

You may well be correct that; “This will just be another overpriced special edition.” But, what if it isn’t? What if it does come with the Performance Package and the price is reasonable? That might be enough to get me to buy a BRZ. If so, then the factory won’t think it a waste at all, nor I!
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #45
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
damn i fell for it too
Old 06-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #46
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,189 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
If you’re satisfied with the base vehicle that’s great for you. However, some of us demand more from our cars, and I’m not referring to track days or any form of competition. My wife was so impressed with the stopping power of the Brembo brakes on my 2006 STi that when she went to buy her hatch she wouldn’t look at a plain WRX. After putting up with the mushy suspension on her 2011 STi for four years she went out last fall and bought a 2016 STi. Now she’s totally happy and a happy wife means a happy life.

You may not think that bigger brakes are necessary but my wife and I are glad we’ve got them. After numerous panic stops over the years it’s meant the difference between getting to our destinations or making a call to our insurance company.

You may well be correct that; “This will just be another overpriced special edition.” But, what if it isn’t? What if it does come with the Performance Package and the price is reasonable? That might be enough to get me to buy a BRZ. If so, then the factory won’t think it a waste at all, nor I!
I hate to be the one to bring in the reality check here, but that's all in your head. A panic stop will not be performed better by the WRX STI's fixed caliper Brembo brakes than the BRZ's sliding caliper (WRX) brakes. It won't. It doesn't make the car stop quicker, regardless of what you think. It doesn't work that way. What impressed your wife was probably the braking power made possible by higher adhesion limit of stickier tires.

The only place where these things make a difference is at the race track. One panic stop, even 3-4 back to back panic stops, does not generate enough heat to make a difference in fade resistance.

Is it worth it to splurge on Brembo brakes to make your wife happy? Absolutely. Do these brakes perform better on the street? No.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-09-2016), Scenic Driver (06-09-2016), Tcoat (06-09-2016), Zaku (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #47
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
If subaru brings out the brz ts version just like the one in japan i will be so tempted to trade in my series blue for that one. Hope it does not happen.
DO NOT unless you're rich...why wasting money?
if you do, i will scold you at Willowbrook mall meet
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
This yellow color will just be a waste of time. It's just going be another hyerblue series, or hikari edition or whatever else they decide to call it for adding some aero kit.

Maybe, it will have the performance package (because that works in marketing today) but for normal drivers it's pointless. Unless your a track person, for most drivers like myself who don't track, the stock brakes can handle the power output perfectly. I don't need Brembo's to stop at a red light. Same goes for suspension components.

This will just be another overpriced special edition.
You had me 100% until that last line.
This will be a more expensive Special Edition. Being "overpriced" is subjective to the individual. If you do not want the features then yes it may seem overpriced to you but to those that do or just want a Special Edition the price is obviously just fine. The people that buy them certainly do not think it is overpriced (or why buy it?).
Same goes for just about any mod that people do. There are guys here that will drop 10% or 15% of the price of the car on wheels and tires without batting an eye but then laugh at others for paying so much for a Special Edition and that makes no sense to me.
Before everybody jumps in and says "well you can buy all those parts and do it cheaper yourself" keep in mind that not everybody has the desire to do things themselves. There is also the loss you take on all those parts that is balanced out buy the better resale value maintained by Special Edition cars (Ya I know you all don't believe they retain value better but it is a proven fact just check Auto Trader).
So more expensive, yes. Over priced, no.
Mr.Impreza (06-09-2016), why? (06-09-2016), Zaku (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
DO NOT unless you're rich...why wasting money?
if you do, i will scold you at Willowbrook mall meet
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...15&postcount=3
zc06_kisstherain (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #50
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Overpriced to people usually means the product is priced higher but without perceived merit in being higher quality / quantity (in this case seems like it's just a different color like they have done before).

Now if the special edition comes with something like a full leather interior or forged rims, then people would have an easier time to equate it being more expensive rather than overpriced imo.

Either way it should worth every penny to the person who buys it.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-09-2016), Zaku (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #51
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Overpriced to people usually means the product is priced higher but without perceived merit in being higher quality / quantity (in this case seems like it's just a different color like they have done before).

Now if the special edition comes with something like a full leather interior or forged rims, then people would have an easier time to equate it being more expensive rather than overpriced imo.

Either way it should worth every penny to the person who buys it.
Yep. "overpriced" is like beauty. It is totally in the eye of the beholder.

If that special colour is worth it to a person then the price is great. Over the years I have also found that many people that scream "overpriced" simply can't afford it anyway. The item can have all sorts of value added but then they just say "oh it only has forged rims and leather now if it also had hover tech and a rocket launcher THEN it would be worth it".
Zaku (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #52
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep. "overpriced" is like beauty. It is totally in the eye of the beholder.

If that special colour is worth it to a person then the price is great. Over the years I have also found that many people that scream "overpriced" simply can't afford it anyway. The item can have all sorts of value added but then they just say "oh it only has forged rims and leather now if it also had hover tech and a rocket launcher THEN it would be worth it".

I mean, I liked the FRS release 2.0, the desert khaki car.... but I thought it was overpriced. Maybe if I hadn't already had my BRZ I wouldn't have. IDK, but personally I thought even 28K sticker was pushing it for these cars. It all just depends on what someone finds important.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I mean, I liked the FRS release 2.0, the desert khaki car.... but I thought it was overpriced. Maybe if I hadn't already had my BRZ I wouldn't have. IDK, but personally I thought even 28K sticker was pushing it for these cars. It all just depends on what someone finds important.
Yep. I finally saw one of those in the flesh last week and I personally would not have found it overpriced at all. The interior alone would have added enough value to me.
Summerwolf (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #54
DatsunDimer

Drives: Datsun 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I enjoy owning vehicles that provide some exclusivity. I will pay more knowing that it is a markup to be in "elite" club within a club.
DatsunDimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DatsunDimer For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #55
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,523 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I hate to be the one to bring in the reality check here, but that's all in your head. A panic stop will not be performed better by the WRX STI's fixed caliper Brembo brakes than the BRZ's sliding caliper (WRX) brakes. It won't. It doesn't make the car stop quicker, regardless of what you think. It doesn't work that way. What impressed your wife was probably the braking power made possible by higher adhesion limit of stickier tires.

The only place where these things make a difference is at the race track. One panic stop, even 3-4 back to back panic stops, does not generate enough heat to make a difference in fade resistance.

Is it worth it to splurge on Brembo brakes to make your wife happy? Absolutely. Do these brakes perform better on the street? No.

Wolfpack, you drive a Cayman S, live near some of North America’s greatest roads and race tracks so I figure you have some level of experience. (Writing off the BRZ at VIR notwithstanding.) I may not always be correct and I’m always open to learn new things. Please, explain to me why you believe a WRX STI's Brembo fixed caliper, opposed four piston brake system will not perform better than a two piston sliding caliper brake systems like that used on the BRZ?

Last edited by Stephen W.; 06-09-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #56
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Wolfpack, you drive a Cayman S, live near some of North America’s greatest roads and race tracks so I figure you have some level of experience. (Writing off the BRZ at VIR notwithstanding.) I may not always be correct and I’m always open to learn new things. Please, explain to me why you believe a WRX STI's Brembo fixed caliper, opposed four piston brake system will not perform better than a two piston sliding caliper brake systems like that used on the BRZ?
Dude that font and size is almost impossible to read.