follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #29
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think I have one every time I look at the car. That's how you learn though right?

The worst was 8 hours to install my exhaust (there were 4 of us doing it too). We had the over pipe backwords because of the way it was shipped with the hardware on it. Even jacked up the engine to try and get it in before confirming orientation. We were quite committed to making it fit.
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedFR-s For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #30
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
When I originally got the car I installed a radar detector and wired it from the glove box 12v connector. About a year later all of a sudden one day I couldn't turn the cool/neutral/hot air conditioner dial..it was stuck

i brought it to the dealership and the tech said the excess wire from the radar connector got stuck around the mechanical gears that turns the knob in the cabin and charged me $50 for labor just to remove the glove box and wire tie the cord for me

any of guys have any silly stories similar to when you added or modded something on your car but accidentally messed another component up?
Just installed gauges on a custom dash cluster pod, the gauge didn't fit snug so caused flex in the pod that cracked about 2 inches long... epoxy+black paint should fix it (did this yesterday btw)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #31
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was running the wiring for my backup cam, which has to pass through the accordion grommet between the trunk lid and chassis. I got frustrated and pulled a little too hard.

I fixed it in the most ghetto way possible:

Still working after a year!

Edit: another time I was swapping brake pads for the first time in preparation for a track day. One of the shims on the driver's side must have gotten out of place, but I didn't know. Drove around for a while; tried to bed the pads. I noticed A LOT of smoke coming from driver's side front. Turns out only the inside pad was making any contact. Boiled the fluid, glazed the pad. Live and learn.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-08-2016), soulreapersteve (06-09-2016), Tcoat (06-08-2016), Ultramaroon (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #32
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ok, now, fess up. Your shit stinks too.
So many years of wrenching ....... so many different vehicles ........ so much to recall ........ this may take some time ..... should I break them down by year .. or vehicle ..... or category ...... ??

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-08-2016), Ultramaroon (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
So many years of wrenching ....... so many different vehicles ........ so much to recall ........ this may take some time ..... should I break them down by year .. or vehicle ..... or category ...... ??

humfrz
Bobblehead (06-08-2016), Cole (06-08-2016), DarkPhoenix (06-08-2016), humfrz (06-08-2016), kch (06-08-2016), soulreapersteve (06-09-2016), Ultramaroon (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #34
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I put premix on the oil rather than the gas tank in the rx7
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #35
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am totally not into fiddling with cars, so my mistakes were of different kind, less costly, but much stupider, I guess.

1. My center brake light stopped working. I figured it was not the bulbs, because there were three of them, impossible that all of them stopped working at the same time. Fuse was fine too. So either the switch, or wiring. Went to the dealer, told all the above. They said: in such case, $150 to diagnose and we'll go from there. OK, I said. They took the car, after 10 minutes the guy comes back with a bill for $7.50... I forgot I there was only one bulb there, not three.

2. I cleaned the dashboard. Wanted to do it very well, used too much cleaner, it dripped everywhere. Whatever. Later in the evening I want to run some errands, I turn the car on, a none of gauge/dashboard/radio lights is working. Shit, the cleaner must have gotten some place it shouldn't. I checked in the manual which fuse the dashboard lights run of, there was something else on that fuse, and it worked fine. Shit, so I damaged something in the dashboard, I will have to pay a lot to have it disassembled and the problem traced.
But for now I am running my errands, getting used not seeing the speedometer or to finding AC controls by touch.

At some point though I noticed that when I start the car, the light in the radio does turn on initially. Only when the headlights are turned on, manually or automatically, it goes off. That did not look like a mysterious short-circuit in the dashboard... So I started thinking and ultimately figured out that when cleaning the dashboard I accidentally turned the dash light intensity knob to zero...

If I didn't find that out and went to a shop to get it fixed, those guys would tell jokes about me for a month.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
Bobblehead (06-08-2016), DarkPhoenix (06-08-2016), FX86 (06-08-2016), soulreapersteve (06-09-2016), wireman957 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #36
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Bought an HKS V1 supercharger kit from a local member here and switched to my car by his mechanic.

After the deal was done I realized there was no cooler for the supercharger fluid piped in. No resolution with seller, so tried to install a makeshift heat exchanger myself.

End result, reversed the inlet/outlet piping, and the blower dry and seized it. Very difficult process buying a replacement but from June to end of season last year I was without a supercharger and the car was out of operation.

That was a very inconvenient $3000 lesson. Many lessons.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #37
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Bought an HKS V1 supercharger kit from a local member here and switched to my car by his mechanic.

After the deal was done I realized there was no cooler for the supercharger fluid piped in. No resolution with seller, so tried to install a makeshift heat exchanger myself.

End result, reversed the inlet/outlet piping, and the blower dry and seized it. Very difficult process buying a replacement but from June to end of season last year I was without a supercharger and the car was out of operation.

That was a very inconvenient $3000 lesson. Many lessons.
and now you own a V1 hks kit... GL
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #38
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not the FR-S.

On my GTI, that thing drank more than a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. So I regularly topped it off. Well, I forgot to put the oil cap back on. Get in the car and drive it to the other end of the apartment complex to wash it at the 'wash station.' Finish, then start the car and the thing starts to chug. With each passing second it gets worse and worse. The thing is bucking now. I turn it off and open the hood. Oops, there is no oil cap...

It is like 100 degrees out and I go running back the way I came looking for a gas cap on the ground. Get home, don't see anything. I go inside and look online at prices thinking I am going to have to go to VW and hope they have on sitting around. Its like 70$.

Grab a flashlight and run back to the car thinking maybe it fell and is stuck behind the bumper. Still freaking out. Have work in less than an hour.

After 15 minutes of reaching my hand around the hot engine bay I look to my right. Between the edge of the engine cover and some wires is the oil cap just sitting exactly where I had set it down to make sure I wouldn't forget to put it back on, and it wouldn't roll off and get stuck in the engine bay.

I suppose I am fortunate that I didn't drive down the road too far or I really would have been in some shit. Also the FR-S is very conservative with oil consumption.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
mdm (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #39
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
and now you own a V1 hks kit... GL
Not sure why you say that. Mine started as a V1 kit but it has modified piping, a much bigger intercooler and no restrictor. On stock fuel system it produced 276 WHP with Ecutek tune on 94 octane. Only complaint it is sometimes the supercharger is squealy sounding on cooler days for a few minutes until it warms up.

I have an oversize Setrab oil cooler for the traction fluid as I did not have the original stock cooler.

The only real flaw in the system is if you have unshielded aftermarket headers, as i have, the intake design is prone to high IAT's as it draws the air directly from the engine bay.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #40
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
with this car...probably the dumbest thing was accidentally taking off the bolt on the high pressure line and blowing all the refridergant out. I was replacing the oem bolts with a dress up kit. Just got it fixed a month ago before summer heat comes with a vegenance (as if we're not getting hotter than usual temps now..) Other little screw ups are a broken bolt here and there, busted pop clips and zip ties holding stuff together.

I say it adds character to my car! I dub it 'the frs of an amateur/noob mechanic'
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-08-2016), soulreapersteve (06-09-2016), Tcoat (06-08-2016), Ultramaroon (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #41
Bowen