follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #15
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Make up your damn mind
Old 06-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #16
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I could have as well but didn't want a 'Vette. He ended up with the car he wanted and that is what matters in the end.
Same here. If I waited until the end of this summer or mid-fall instead of buying the FRS last year, I would've had more than enough for a C7 Stingray or C6 Z06 and paid outright with no loan but didn't want to.

But then, I wouldn't have met all the people I currently know and talk to on a daily basis - on and off this forum. Hindsight 20/20 or however that saying goes.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:27 AM   #17
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
Enjoyed the story.

I pushed a clutch in for twenty plus years, and was glad to say goodbye to it - AT with paddles takes the chore out of the self-shift equation (stop and go, snow, hills, left knee going south with age).

Oddly enough, I'm as critical of those who would choose a clutch as they are of my AT choice. I mean, don't those silly fuckers know there's an easier way to get this shit done?

Live and let live.
anytime people give me crap about AT i tell them i only have two arms and i can't have both of them on each of my stick shifts...at least one has to be on the steering wheel

they get the puzzled look and i walk away with a smirk on my face
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #18
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Enjoyed the story.

I pushed a clutch in for twenty plus years, and was glad to say goodbye to it - AT with paddles takes the chore out of the self-shift equation (stop and go, snow, hills, left knee going south with age).

Oddly enough, I'm as critical of those who would choose a clutch as they are of my AT choice. I mean, don't those silly fuckers know there's an easier way to get this shit done?

Live and let live.

I do see your point, and feel it as well. I have to switch cars with my wife and drive the auto, when my knee starts bugging. I too will most likely switch to paddles, but I want it in a car that lays down serious power, Mustang Corvette, Camaro, 370Z. It can't be a four banger unless it has turbo and is pushing 275 -300
Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
DarkPhoenix
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2014 FR-S, 2021 Audi Q3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Glad you managed to narrow down exactly what you wanted, even if it took a few FR-Ses to get there. I don't see it as a waste - your first FR-S was totalled so you got what you THOUGHT you wanted only to realize you missed the AT and you fixed that. Nothing wrong with making sure you're paying for what you'll enjoy.

I'm an AT driver as well and I test drove both. As much as I love MT - the Focus ST we have is an MT and I have a ton of fun driving it when I can get my husband out of it long enough to do so - I love my paddles even more and I'm happy to have a daily driver where I have the choice of shifting or being able to put it into auto and sit in traffic (which I rarely do).
Old 06-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
AREN

Drives: Beige Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice story. As long as you are happy its all good. The AT in this car is indeed great.
AREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I can feel your passion already by reading the title.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #22
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
OP. That is some serious passion. I commend you on doing what you want to do.

I never buy the same car twice, but that's my car lover's disease. BTW: I've always been a die hard manual guy, but lately my stance has softened a bit.

Have fun in your new car.
Tcoat (06-08-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #23
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Glad that it all worked out for you; I'm like you in that I'm never quite happy unless I get exactly what I wanted - I don't like to compromise because of factors that might appeal to most people (the price is right, etc.)

It's sad that you weren't able to get what you wanted the second time around due to the 'flack' you got for an AT - I'll never understand why any adult would chastise another for said individual spending their money on what they want and what makes them happy, and what is the better transmission for them - instead of caving and purchasing an MT because some other dude's opinion is that it's what you should have spent your dollar on.

To me the transmissions come down to comfort versus engagement, and each one offering some of both - they're both great for different reasons, and you choose which one suits what you want for yourself with this car; unless you're all about winning those uber races on public roads, then I guess it's no wonder the type of people to choose a transmission based on ego are the sort of people to chastise others with their high school-level melodrama.

OP, I can't imagine there are many others that can say they're owned three FR-Ss, but I'm glad that you had the courage to go for what you want and are happy because of it, and didn't let your past mistakes or others' opinion hold you back from that - enjoy!
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ammunition For This Useful Post:
LLYNCES (06-09-2016), soulreapersteve (06-10-2016), why? (06-09-2016), wireman957 (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #24
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I pushed a clutch in for twenty plus years, and was glad to say goodbye to it. I mean, don't those silly fuckers know there's an easier way to get this shit done?
Catch the bus? Uber?
Old 06-09-2016, 03:03 AM   #25
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,137 Times in 590 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your story It was a great read for me since I kinda went through the same thing, at least with switching up the tranny choices. I picked up a 13' Hot Lava AT FRS back in Nov 2012. I got the auto as a compromise when I was married I loved that car despite day dreaming for one with a MT almost everyday lol

The AT in the FRS is most definitely wonderful! I never understood any of the hate it got even if it isn't a DCT. Gear shifts are smooth when cruising around town and it shifts rather fast when you are flooring it - I don't know if it's just me but it seemed as though the tranny specifically changes how fast it runs through the gears depending on how much throttle you were giving...it always seemed as though the reviewers I came across who complained about the shifting speeds were shifting around 4 K instead of 7.5 K

After racking up nearly 50 K on the odo, as if I'm living in a simulation or some man upstairs heard my cries, a woman ran a red light and hit me straight on while I was making a turn.

It was both a sad and marvelous day. The car getting totaled and me getting a settlement check was literally thousands better than trying to trade her in for a MT...despite how much we love our twins, like virtually all coupes they sadly don't retain a good trade in value even when I tried to sell it privately it was rough.

Like many fairy tale endings, I've been in love with her replacement

The newer FRS models do indeed seem to be a little more refined..there doesn't seem to be any major rattles whereas my 13' had a couple, the material used on the dash seems to be a little softer than before and I definitely appreciate the extra cushioning around the knees..fit and finish also seems a tad better. The suspension feels different for sure though I'm not convinced if it is necessarily better - if I recall my experiences correctly, my 13's tail would want to kick out a little more (my preference) than this 16'

Admittedly, I have had moments where I've missed the AT but the clutch is light enough and the gearbox is too enjoyable for me to pass up..it is probably my biggest motivator currently to get me into work every morning that tactile feel of the gears when you get a good shift in is orgasmic.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
DarkPhoenix (06-10-2016), Hoahao (06-09-2016), LLYNCES (06-09-2016), soulreapersteve (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:23 AM   #26
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Thanks for sharing your story It was a great read for me since I kinda went through the same thing, at least with switching up the tranny choices. I picked up a 13' Hot Lava AT FRS back in Nov 2012. I got the auto as a compromise when I was married I loved that car despite day dreaming for one with a MT almost everyday lol

The AT in the FRS is most definitely wonderful! I never understood any of the hate it got even if it isn't a DCT. Gear shifts are smooth when cruising around town and it shifts rather fast when you are flooring it - I don't know if it's just me but it seemed as though the tranny specifically changes how fast it runs through the gears depending on how much throttle you were giving...it always seemed as though the reviewers I came across who complained about the shifting speeds were shifting around 4 K instead of 7.5 K

After racking up nearly 50 K on the odo, as if I'm living in a simulation or some man upstairs heard my cries, a woman ran a red light and hit me straight on while I was making a turn.

It was both a sad and marvelous day. The car getting totaled and me getting a settlement check was literally thousands better than trying to trade her in for a MT...despite how much we love our twins, like virtually all coupes they sadly don't retain a good trade in value even when I tried to sell it privately it was rough.

The newer FRS models do indeed seem to be a little more refined..there doesn't seem to be any major rattles whereas my 13' had a couple, the material used on the dash seems to be a little softer than before and I definitely appreciate the extra cushioning around the knees..fit and finish also seems a tad better. The suspension feels different for sure though I'm not convinced if it is necessarily better - if I recall my experiences correctly, my 13's tail would want to kick out a little more (my preference) than this 16'

Admittedly, I have had moments where I've missed the AT but the clutch is light enough and the gearbox is too enjoyable for me to pass up..it is probably my biggest motivator currently to get me into work every morning that tactile feel of the gears when you get a good shift in is orgasmic.

I'm amazed by how well our cars are build small tank indeed. I'm sure someone did bring that car back to life given with B is for Build series I've seen here.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #27
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,137 Times in 590 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpnoy1984 View Post
I'm amazed by how well our cars are build small tank indeed. I'm sure someone did bring that car back to life given with B is for Build series I've seen here.
Indeed, the strong crash ratings hold true...fortunately I only had to deal with an Impala going about 50 MPH as opposed to the SUV that the OP got..that is a gnarly wreck though lucky for him it seems as though the SUV clipped his front end perpendicularly as opposed to testing the car's small overlap frontal crash rating.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #28
LLYNCES

Drives: 13 Firestorm/UltramarineRIP/15 Halo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post

Thanks for sharing your story man, I'm glad you made it out of that accident okay; everything truly does happen for a reason. I agree, the MT does feel great no doubt and maybe 3-5 years down the line I'll go back but by then they will probably have an even better AT and it'll be even harder for me to pass up. I really love these paddle shifters and how great the AT feels to the point where I actually missed them and got a bit sad everytime I went to try and feel them and them not being there I more so hope for some bigger power increases in the future if anything.

You're dead on about the suspension. The 2013-2014's were more tail happy a bit but I actually prefer the new suspension set up to the old - the car just feels much better on the road and not so hard on the rear when driving in comparison, my GF noticed the difference immediately.

I actually didn't get burned too hard on my trade in, it was about where I figured it would be. The resale value could be worse (e.g ecoboost mustang lol) The 2013's are still going for like 21,000$ on resale where I live where as the new models run around 27,000-29,000 (this is Canadian though keep in mind)

Happy you ended up with what you wanted, the new one looks amazing and you made a much better color choice (Personally Hot Lava is the color I dislike the most on this car - well dislike is a harsh word, more so I'm just not a fan of orange - the car itself still looks great) I really love the silver, white, blue on this car, also Asphalt. I wish they'd come out with a darker red since it's my favourite color (I have yet to see the new Ablaze in person so maybe it's a bit better) firestorm was a bit too bright for me.
LLYNCES is offline   Reply With Quote