follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
Kauf

Drives: 2014 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've seen that one Subaru video where they blink. I would like to find a guide on how to make the clear oem side markers blink. By wiring, new bulbs, whatever. I could only do it by following instructions though and haven't found a guide in my searches.
Wish Subaru just would've put clear side markers that functioned as blinkers from the start in the US. Feel like I'm driving around in an un whole car because of the crappy side markers I have on there now. ha.
My BRZ and I are connected. I can hear "Get these out of me! GET THEM OUT!!" lol''

I found some threads that I'm sifting through that might be what I'm looking for:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...linkers&page=4

Last edited by Kauf; 05-25-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Kauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
MidwestFRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTOZ7GQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s= lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00I0JO4W8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=0P0EZGG1TP41JSS6MB5N"]Amazon.com: LED Side Marker Smoked Black Lens Amber Turn Signal and DRL White For Scion FR-S Toyota 86 Subaru BRZ: Automotive[/ame]

I got these Avest sidemarkers off amazon when I burned through 2 sets of bulbs in leaky smoked helix sidemarkers. THere was an inch of water in the helix and it ruined the light plug. I have had zero issues and really like the Avest. I put a good coating of crazy glue on the back just to be safe and seal the seam but I doubt it was necessary.
Attached Images

Greddy Evo GT exhaust / 5 AD lip spoiler / Enkei EKM3 Wheels / Muteki SR35 lugs / Rokblokz / Avest sidemarkers with signals / DiodeDynamics switchback turn signals / euro armrest / Greddy PVD shift knob
MidwestFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidwestFRS For This Useful Post:
Kauf (05-26-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #17
MidwestFRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
and it appears those Razer are exactly the same as Avest but $20 cheaper
Greddy Evo GT exhaust / 5 AD lip spoiler / Enkei EKM3 Wheels / Muteki SR35 lugs / Rokblokz / Avest sidemarkers with signals / DiodeDynamics switchback turn signals / euro armrest / Greddy PVD shift knob
MidwestFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #18
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvhs09 View Post
The sidemarkers do not blink and you cannot make them. Frs jdm clear ones are the best quality and will hook up nicely. No you do not have to wire it. It's plug and play
BS. It's simple wiring (though it likely won't work with LED's unless they have a rectifier in them)

As I don't like hacking my wiring, I live without blinking sidemarkers. Plus the LED's I have in there now only work one way and they're white...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #19
Kauf

Ordered the OEM / JDM clear side markers

@MidwestFRS - Thanks for the pictures! I like how those look but I'm hesitant to spend more money on something that might not be up to quality now.
I decided to just order the OEM Clear side markers. I think since I had already tapped into my headlights for the blinker functionality with my previously purchased / faulty side markers, I'll be able to wire these to blink based on the different pieces of information I've found. My brain isn't wanting to wrap around it at the moment so I'm just moving forward and it should all fall into place. We'll see.
For now I'll see what it looks like as a clear blinker & running light then maybe add one of those Chrome / Amber bulbs I've read about or an appropriate LED if I don't like this.

Even if I'm using just a clear solid side marker, I won't have a couple of half burned out lights looking goofy and not working. Ha.

@Poodles. Thanks. Yeah, I agree there's a way, just have to figure it out.
I'm not a fan of hacking up my wiring (since I'm novice) either, but I already had.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
Kauf

Wired

Here's a video of the result. Clear side markers installed, wired to blink. Currently with the original bulbs.

I think there are a few ways to do it, this seems to have worked for me how I wanted.
For my 2014 BRZ limited, I ran one wire from behind the headlight to the side marker (spliced into the stalk itself, not to the plug and play harness part coming from the car. Not sure if my terms are correct) and one from the blinker to the side marker. Soldered them, etc.
You can see the colors on the hanging plug to see which you need to tap into on the side marker stalk.

Here are the colors that worked for me:

Driver's side -
Red with silver dots (from headlight) to the red wire on the side marker.
White w/ red strip (from blinker) to the black wire on the stalk.

Passenger's side -
Plain grey (from headlight) to the white wire in the side marker.
White w/ silver (from blinker) to the black wire on side marker.

This has them acting the same way they do stock, but now blinking like in my video.

The wire you're tapping into behind the headlight is the boomerang (parking light as I understand it.)

P.s. I noticed when my push button is pressed twice to the "on" position, my ABS, battery, check engine, oil temp, electronic power steering and slip indicator lights stay on. (Until I start the engine or turn off, etc.)
I can't remember the behavior before I made these changes. Can anyone who hasn't modified these ways confirm: Do those lights stay on or shut off after a few seconds for you in the "on" position?

Last edited by Kauf; 06-04-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Kauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,264 Times in 3,515 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
The UK clears blink at the same frequency as the main indicators.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #22
Kauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
The UK clears blink at the same frequency as the main indicators.
I like that they alternate in certain situations. When the lights are off, they blink at the same time.
Are your side markers blinkers from the factory in the UK?
Old 06-05-2016, 03:22 AM   #23
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,264 Times in 3,515 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
I like that they alternate in certain situations. When the lights are off, they blink at the same time.
Are your side markers blinkers from the factory in the UK?
The cars are manufactured in Japan and come standard with clear blinkers.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #24
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Garage
Do what I did, put some silicone caulking around the edges and where the wires go into it on the back, never had a problem
Old 06-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
Kauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
The cars are manufactured in Japan and come standard with clear blinkers.
I know they're manufactured in Japan.
I was curious if you had to modify in order to get yours to blink or not.
In the U.S. our side markers are orange. They don't blink. They're just solid running lights.

(Aah. By "from the factory" I meant Japan. By in the UK, I meant just the BRZs sold in your market, your country. I'm thinking you thought I meant "from the Subaru factory in the UK." Haha I can see how I could've been misinterpreted that way by how I wrote it).
Old 06-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #26
Kauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySaxon View Post
Do what I did, put some silicone caulking around the edges and where the wires go into it on the back, never had a problem
I'm hoping I shouldn't have to do this since I'm now back to using oem parts. My original orange markers never leaked.

Tags
blinker, clear side marker