follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #43
jedibow
post whore extraordinaire

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Grey FR-S 2003 Evo 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess Vee View Post
I'm completely ignorant on this kind of stuff, so forgive me ahead of time... but is there a way to tune a MPG efficient ECU, with no regards to performance?

Just out of curiosity...
If Romraider is ported to our ECU you, or your tuner will have the ability to tune the vehicle as you please, you could also do two different tunes, and switch between them, so for instance, you could have one map that keeps closed loof operation longer with a higher air to fuel ratio 14.7-15.5, and advanced ignition timing to achieve better mileage, and a second that delivers a 12.5 with the correct amount of timing to achieve maximum best torque once you hit wide open throtte. I currently have a low boost economy map, and a race map stored on my evo and switch between them on the fly (within reason, there are a set of parameters that keep you from switching at the incorrect time that are user defined). Right now we will have to be patient until the ROM is cracked and defined, and it looks as though EcuTek has already defined the ROM, Cobb should be sure to follow, and hopefully Romraider will be able to define the ROM as well.
jedibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #44
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I think the primary reason the way things are done the way things are done is for emissions, so yes. You can crank the AFR very high ("lean burn") to reduce pumping losses, and this will improve your fuel economy at the cost of emitting a lot more NOx. We're talking like 20:1 or so, which is around what Honda had on their lean burn engines or something. Dunno how hard it is to do...

I don't think it should affect performance, because full load parameters can be the same. When you do physical modifications of course you can swing things towards fuel economy or performance.
You cannot change AFRs without directly effecting performance. Tunes can be made with economy in mind but its much more involved than just 'add less fuel' or 'make it slow'
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #45
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
You cannot change AFRs without directly effecting performance. Tunes can be made with economy in mind but its much more involved than just 'add less fuel' or 'make it slow'
What? You can change AFRs only in the lower load areas, and aim to get the same torque output by remapping the requested torque table. How does that affect performance?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #46
jedibow

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Correct, that is why I mentioned adjusting the ignition timing also, aswell as the closed loop cross over point
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #47
Ess Vee

Drives: White 2011 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
If Romraider is ported to our ECU you, or your tuner will have the ability to tune the vehicle as you please, you could also do two different tunes, and switch between them, so for instance, you could have one map that keeps closed loof operation longer with a higher air to fuel ratio 14.7-15.5, and advanced ignition timing to achieve better mileage, and a second that delivers a 12.5 with the correct amount of timing to achieve maximum best torque once you hit wide open throtte. I currently have a low boost economy map, and a race map stored on my evo and switch between them on the fly (within reason, there are a set of parameters that keep you from switching at the incorrect time that are user defined). Right now we will have to be patient until the ROM is cracked and defined, and it looks as though EcuTek has already defined the ROM, Cobb should be sure to follow, and hopefully Romraider will be able to define the ROM as well.
That is really cool! That's what I was thinking, having different maps for different situations. How do you store maps on your Evo? Is that a built in feature?

Or do you always have to carry a laptop with you?

How seamless is the change? Like, does the car need to be restarted? Or can it be done while driving?

This is all very fascinating.

Is there a product that integrates ecu control via headunit?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #48
jedibow

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess Vee View Post
That is really cool! That's what I was thinking, having different maps for different situations. How do you store maps on your Evo? Is that a built in feature?

Or do you always have to carry a laptop with you?

How seamless is the change? Like, does the car need to be restarted? Or can it be done while driving?

This is all very fascinating.

Is there a product that integrates ecu control via headunit?

It is a second map stored within the ecu, on the Evo it is changed by holding down the intercooler spray switch for a set amount of time. It can be switched while driving as long as you are beneath the load threshold.

By headunit I believe you are talking about the stereo headunit? Nothing that I know of at this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to jedibow For This Useful Post:
Ess Vee (06-19-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #49
jedibow

Garage
New logs per Arghx7 request

Okay so I finally logged catalyst temps (they are scaled at 1/1000) so the actual temps are in the tousands, they gradually increased toward redline with a difference of 5 degrees.

another cool feature I got the virtual dyno working...
Attached Files
File Type: zip EvoScanDataLog_2012.06.22_20.04.21.zip (20.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #50
jedibow

Garage
here are the graphs

Timing, Load variables, dyno, Commanded AFR, and catalyst...

Remember I'm at 5500 feet above sea level, thus the lower numbers for absolute load..
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #51
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wish I knew what this all means
Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #52
jedibow

Garage
What questions do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Wish I knew what this all means
Ask your question, I'm willing to help...

Quick recap,

It started out with an attempt to pull the factory ECU ROM data using the editing program EcuFlash, however the due to a change in the ROM coding the rom will not pull down.

Then I attempted to use another program EvoScan to log the data from the OBDII/CAN port, at first it didn't work, but if you read at the bottom of the first page I included the settings that now allow me to datalog the factory sensors.

Scaling is still an issue as the scaling values in EvoScan do not align with the CAN standard values, and Request ID's are also different.

What I can Log

Ignition timing, RPM, Load(load value not compensated for barometric pressure or temperature), Absolute load (compensated load), throttle percentage, AFR command (AF map look up value based on load and RPM), MAF reading (in Hz which is why the scaling looks so funny), MAP sensor (1-bar, or 14.7 psi range), Catalyst temperature, short term and long term fuel trims, and fuel pressure.

I'm currently working on getting the factory primary O2 sensor to log, but I'm having request location and scaling issues.

BTW arghx7, and myself are attempting to identify what in the factory tune (if it is infact the factory tune) contributes to the torque dip, and that is why I logged the information above.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #53
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
What is Absolute load?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #54
blalor

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
What I can Log

Ignition timing, RPM, Load(load value not compensated for barometric pressure or temperature), Absolute load (compensated load), throttle percentage, AFR command (AF map look up value based on load and RPM), MAF reading (in Hz which is why the scaling looks so funny), MAP sensor (1-bar, or 14.7 psi range), Catalyst temperature, short term and long term fuel trims, and fuel pressure.

I'm currently working on getting the factory primary O2 sensor to log, but I'm having request location and scaling issues.
Are these non-standard OBD-II PIDs? Just trying to figure out what's different from standard OBD-II. Is EvoScan speaking to the ECU via CAN?
blalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #55
jedibow

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
What is Absolute load?
Absolute load is the load value the ECU uses to determine the ignition timing as it has been compensated for variables that effect volumetric efficiency (barometric pressure, and temperature), this is the reason my car at 5500 feet is running more timing than a car at sea level because the absolute load traces the timing map at a load of 80, instead of the full 100, and the timing value for those cells are higher than the cells in the 100 column.

I posted the ignition map for my Evo (any Evo owners on this site do not steal my tune

to hopefully give you a better understanding. Red would represent absolute load, blue calculated load...

P.S. I just noticed a hole in my timing map!!! So thank you for having me post this...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to jedibow For This Useful Post:
Dimman (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #56
jedibow

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blalor View Post
Are these non-standard OBD-II PIDs? Just trying to figure out what's different from standard OBD-II. Is EvoScan speaking to the ECU via CAN?
Correct these are non-standard OBD II PIS's they are CAN standard to a degree, I'm having to locate the request ID's manually as they do not line with the the standard CAN PID's.

Arghx7 and I have figured out it is an issue with EvoScan not the CAN port, for some reason the html file in evoscan does not link the PID's to request ID's, that would have been nice, as it would be easy to locate what I needed to log, and have the correct scalings ready to rock.