follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Argento) M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
G-chip programming. (Lost a key but I have the original)

Greetings all,

First off, this is totally my fault due to my absent-mindedness, but I lost one of my sets of keys. Going to the dealer, they wanted an upwards of $300+ to replace the key. (I have replaced keys in the past on other cars) So I ordered a new key/fob from a "reputable" key/fob dealer online. What I received appears to be in great shape, I got the key cut, and the transponder added to my FR-S; however, the G-chip that is inside needs to be programmed. I was curious if anyone here has ever done this and knows the steps for adding a key if you already have the original? I saw a few videos of Toyotas with the G-Chip that requires you to put the original key into the ignition 5x's and close the door 6 times and then put the newly cut key into the ignition and it will program. I am curious if there is a similar method for our beloved FR-S (I did try this method and it didn't work). If so, I wouldn't mind writing up a guide on how to go about getting everything else done without spending an arm and a leg for it. I would have the G-chip programmed by Toyota but the cheapest I could find was $115. Even the locksmiths wanted more than the dealer ranging from $150 - $250.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you in advanced for not flaming me.

Regards,

Josh
Surakusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surakusa For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (04-28-2016), YamahaR86 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
keep us posted I have a similar issue with the G-chip and posted a while back but no one knows yet
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@AG3NT_5CARFAC3 You make dope flip keys, how do you overcome this issue? Do you simply transfer over the transponder chip to the new keys?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
To the best of my knowledge from reading many threads on this nobody has ever managed to find a way to program their own key. All ended up paying the dealer or somebody with the right equipment.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Yeah, this is definitely something of interest for me. I know even the latest Toyota cars have the 5x's key in 6 door close trick. I'm theorizing that it could still be a subaru security system fashioned to look like a Toyota. I have no one to blame but myself for this, but I just can't stomach the fact that I have to pay that much for something so little. I'm very stubborn, and I will find a way. Even if it means buying the OBD programming device myself. Then start offering for cheaper prices in the area to make up for the loss. I did that learning Paintless Dent Repair as well. Been taking out my own dents and other peoples dents for a while now. I can always expand my freelance services.

As soon as I find a way, I'll create a guide on how to do it. I know i'm not on here a lot but I try to contribute when I can.

Last edited by Surakusa; 04-28-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Redundant words. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Surakusa For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surakusa View Post
I did that learning Paintless Dent Repair as well. Been taking out my own dents and other peoples dents for a while now. I can always expand my freelance services.

As soon as I find a way, I'll create a guide on how to do it. I know i'm not on here a lot but I try to contribute when I can.
I have been considering picking up some PDR tools and trying my hand at it as well. I have many small dimples that I have no doubt I can work out with the right tools. What tools did you start out with? I have watched several videos and read many articles but have not really figured out what a good starter set of tools would be.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have been considering picking up some PDR tools and trying my hand at it as well. I have many small dimples that I have no doubt I can work out with the right tools. What tools did you start out with? I have watched several videos and read many articles but have not really figured out what a good starter set of tools would be.
I feel you on the dents department, I lived in an area full of oak trees and one year I was pelted by acorns, so many dents.

I'll have to get back to you about what brand it is, it is a decent kit, originally $1600, but they had a clearance on the equipment and I got it half off. I'm a web developer and so I wrote a script that will generate black and white lines of all sizes and I use them on my iPad, or any other device and that acts as my line-bar lamp haha.

I do recommend working on a friends or parents car first and don't charge them for it. Most of the people I know said go for it, they didn't care if it fails or not. I definitely never had a failed dent repair. (basically, I have never made it worse, only better). It does take practice and patience. Also, our hoods are aluminum, so buy some spherical magnets online, the tools are made of steel, and you can place the magnet on the hood and put your tool underneath and find your tools very easily that way from the top. Great for training your eyes and helping you learn where the tools are.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Surakusa; 04-28-2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Stupid grammar. :(
The Following User Says Thank You to Surakusa For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
I feel you on the dents department, I lived in an area full of oak trees and one year I was pelted by acorns, so many dents.

I'll have to get back to you about what brand it is, it is a decent kit, originally $1600, but they had a clearance on the equipment and I got it half off. I'm a web developer and so I wrote a script that will generate black and white lines of all sizes and I use them on my iPad, or any other device and that acts as my line-bar lamp haha.

I do recommend working on a friends or parents car first and don't charge them for it. Most of the people I know said go for it, they didn't care if it fails or not. I definitely never had a failed dent repair. (basically, I have never made it worse, only better). It does take practice and patience. Also, our hoods are aluminum, so buy some spherical magnets online, the tools are made of steel, and you can place the magnet on the hood and put your tool underneath and find your tools very easily that way from the top. Great for training your eyes and helping you learn where the tools are.

I hope this helps.

It does yes. I have done complete body off restorations on classic cars several times but this venture into PDR is something new.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,097 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
@AG3NT_5CARFAC3 You make dope flip keys, how do you overcome this issue? Do you simply transfer over the transponder chip to the new keys?
He transfer the chip to the new key.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
He transfer the chip to the new key.
Yeah unfortunately I don't have the luxury. There has got to be a trick though. Perhaps the mechanic service manual talks about it.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Yeah unfortunately I don't have the luxury. There has got to be a trick though. Perhaps the mechanic service manual talks about it.

Most likely with our cars it involves using techstream to register the key in.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Surakusa (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Quote:
Most likely with our cars it involves using techstream to register the key in.
You're right. I was searching through the service manual and this is what I found.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet... For now... I'm not 100% done. I'll keep searching for alternatives. There is always a way hehe.

Last edited by Surakusa; 04-28-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
You're right. I was searching through the service manual and this is what I found.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet... For now... I'm not 100% done. I'll keep searching for alternatives. There is always a way hehe.

I know this because for the longest time I had techstream on my laptop and tried it on a friends celica with an alarm issue, even with a pirated copy it doesn't work, it requires the physical toyota tech stream login and tech number
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Surakusa (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #14
Surakusa
Mechanical Guru

Quote:
I know this because for the longest time I had techstream on my laptop and tried it on a friends celica with an alarm issue, even with a pirated copy it doesn't work, it requires the physical toyota tech stream login and tech number
Appreciate it bro.

Tags
g-chip, key, key fob, keys, programming