follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, think about it how much trunk space do you use every day? For me it only sees 4 grocery bags every two weeks. So I have a generic .75ft. cubic box. I still have enough room in the truck. For what ever. If need be it's only 30 seconds to remove it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #16
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you are stuck bream is a good alternative to bass
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norville Rogers For This Useful Post:
sly (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
What about - http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-...er-p-1416.html

Someone else linked that to me in another similar thread. I'd pay a visit to a local Subaru dealer and get a quote for one to be ordered in. It has free shipping.

Big fan of clean OEM/OEM+ installs. Kinda tempted to get one for myself, but sadly the price (with current exchange rates) will push it uncomfortably close to 1k AUD.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #18
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I want bass to a stock system as well and have been reading up.

I've already soundproof my interior but it made it worse I think. The door speakers now pack more of a quality punch and the dash and back I can hear but it's worse because I know what I'm missing out on now.

I'm planning on either a 4 channel amp to power doors and sub or a mono channel to power a sub.

Sub I'm looking at is a Sundown E10 which is a 10'' and retails around $120. It's a great entry level sub.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #19
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
if I just want to add a sub to the car, would the stock amp work? or is there a need for an aftermarket one? I would assume the stock amp is fine since there is an option for a factory subwoofer but maybe it's only to a certain wattage
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #20
Mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
if I just want to add a sub to the car, would the stock amp work? or is there a need for an aftermarket one? I would assume the stock amp is fine since there is an option for a factory subwoofer but maybe it's only to a certain wattage
See my post a few back. That is a factory sub that connects to the factory head unit. They even posted an install guide on the page showing the factory head unit being used.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Old 04-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #21
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,950 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
See my post a few back. That is a factory sub that connects to the factory head unit. They even posted an install guide on the page showing the factory head unit being used.
That sub says it's "powered" under the description so I'm gonna say stock amp is not big enough
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #22
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
If you are stuck bream is a good alternative to bass
Wut????
Must be a UK thing. Or some bad joke I didn't get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
No the stock amp is baby joke of an amp. Barely pushing 50w. Also it's full range, so you'll won't get any decent bass out of it. You need a separate amp. Other wise you'll over heat the stock amp with extra load. It's literally the size of your fist when you take the metal housing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I want bass to a stock system as well and have been reading up.

I've already soundproof my interior but it made it worse I think. The door speakers now pack more of a quality punch and the dash and back I can hear but it's worse because I know what I'm missing out on now.

I'm planning on either a 4 channel amp to power doors and sub or a mono channel to power a sub.

Sub I'm looking at is a Sundown E10 which is a 10'' and retails around $120. It's a great entry level sub.
Just my 2 cents but, a 4 channel amp is overkill. It would be ok if you had an extra 6" speakers in the rear, but our 3" are just tweeters. Not really worth it unless you upgrade everything
A newer 2 channel amp would do the job. Just make sure it has the option for 3-way mode. That way you can power the doors and the sub with the proper fq cut offs.

Never hear of Sundown must be new or something. But really there is no entry level subs, hell, those pos audio speakers at the local auto part store will sound good enough....with proper installation. Will they sound louder, last for a long time? Nope. But it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
You mean that $500 one?

It's really not a big deal to add a sub/amp. Hell you can buy that harness plug so you won't have to tap into the wires. All it is is 5 wires you need to tap into.

And yes I still use my factory head unit.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #23
Mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
That sub says it's "powered" under the description so I'm gonna say stock amp is not big enough
Actually...

"Subwoofer Kit #H630SCA000 Provides powerful deep bass, and also assists in clean sound reproduction from all vehicle speakers. This is achieved by its integrated 100W amplifier and a passive crossover network. The self-contained unit mounts in the trunk of the vehicle. Manufactured for Subaru of America by Kicker."

http://subarupartspeople.com/product...ubwoofer%20Kit

I even found it cheaper for you
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #24
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
I have been wrestling with the same decisions. I want better sound. I have been considering the OEM Audio + system, but without hearing it, I don't think I can bring myself to drop that much cash. Adding a powered sub, or sub/amp combo is the direction I'm leaning.

Here are a couple subs I have been considering...

JL Audio's ACP108LG-W3v3 MicroSub

It's available in powered and non powered versions. There is also a 10" version in an enclosure that's only slightly larger.

The Subaru OEM sub is not even on my radar. I like that it tucks into the corner, but OEM optional subs rarely meet expectations, IMO.
Attached Images

2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #25
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sundown has been around a long time, mostly on the spl side. Although they now have a few sound quality based designs that haven't been produced yet.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #26
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Just my 2 cents but, a 4 channel amp is overkill. It would be ok if you had an extra 6" speakers in the rear, but our 3" are just tweeters. Not really worth it unless you upgrade everything
A newer 2 channel amp would do the job. Just make sure it has the option for 3-way mode. That way you can power the doors and the sub with the proper fq cut offs.

Never hear of Sundown must be new or something. But really there is no entry level subs, hell, those pos audio speakers at the local auto part store will sound good enough....with proper installation. Will they sound louder, last for a long time? Nope. But it will work.
Personally, I have Infinity Reference speakers in the door as a gift (60w RMS) and the sub I chose is a 500w RMS. I'm not powering the rear or dash, just the door and sub so the 4 channel I'm looking at can also go into 2, 3, or 4. For that much power that I need I think it's better in my position.

By entry level subs, I mean towards the $100 range and NOT a kicker, pyle or boss.

Some decent entry level brands are Alpine SWS, American Bass, CT Sounds, Dayton, Image Dynamics, Infinity 100.9w, JL Audio, RE Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Soundqubed, Sundown.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #27
stokeless

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP Silver
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
bazooka bass tube
stokeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #28
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
JL Audio's ACP108LG-W3v3 MicroSub
Looking over the specs, it's an 8" speaker in a 0.46 ft^3 ported enclosure with a 250W class D amp. That should work very well in this car. You can adjust the crossover and the levels to get it to match your existing speakers.

I'm eventually going to build a system using these exact same speakers but in smaller sealed enclosure. IMO, this is a very good match.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Agent 86 (04-13-2016)