follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
HLHachiRoku

Drives: 2015 HL FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking New to OFT and tuning =D

I finally was able to install my JDL header and over pipe that my wife got me for Christmas from a fellow member here just down the street since I was able to save up for my OFT. The power difference is night and day I'm amazed.

I believe though I might have a header gasket leak (not positive, no codes yet), ordered new ones that should be here this week. I did some data logging to just check, using 91 stage 2 UEL tune atm. Can someone take a look and see if everything looks ok?

I saw some knock correction a couple times on test 3 (when flooring it though the tps didn't read 90+ for some reason). I have noticed some hesitation when flooring it every once in awhile (from a stop or slow roll mostly) coolant and oil temps look fine. I have read Steve99 posts but haven't fiddled with anything JUST yet being new to the OFT still =D I can't wait to fine tune it and dig into it. I had thought it might be due to traction control kicking in might not be letting the throttle plate open all the way even tho I have the pedal floored as I was reading in one of his posts. =O =(

Temp outside was about 88F-91F AZ weather

test 1
http://www.datazap.me/u/hlhachiroku/...0?log=0&data=1

test 2
http://www.datazap.me/u/hlhachiroku/...0?log=1&data=1

test 3
http://www.datazap.me/u/hlhachiroku/...0?log=2&data=1

I could probably get more data tomorrow if that is needed.

I have been reading so many posts and viewing everyone's input on so many various topics all over the forums since I bought my car. It is truly amazing to see how many knowledgeable helpful people there are on the forums! Thank you again!
HLHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
log extract here looks ok except for knock

http://www.datazap.me/u/hlhachiroku/...zoom=2184-2269

AFR is ok
ltft is ok (earlier logs looked a bit off but maybe just after flash)
does not look like exhaust leak.

IAM = 0.6 indicates some knock, could be better
looking at KC Learned curve looks like knock around 2500-4000

if you log FLKC next time will be easier to see knock

Id say you on 91 octane ?

you might want to look at wayno's threads and use his smoothed timing table

throttle at 90% in logs is normal for oft logs at full throttle its logging throttle plate not throttle pedal.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
HLHachiRoku (03-23-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
HLHachiRoku

Im running 91 octane from costco, just filled up yesterday with sams club. Since the tune its it's been 100+ miles already. Drive 46-47 miles daily m-f. Lol. Ill log that parameter today and load it as well as look at his smoothing thread. I saw the jdl tables shiv posted as well and was weary about changing stuff yet =0. When I tuned motorcycles it was alot less complicated haha. Thank you for looking! =D
Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
HLHachiRoku

Ok today I did a 3rd gear run and some 4th gear till about 6-7k. Believe it is looking like knocking after recording that FLKC as you mentioned @steve99.

Might have been off throttle?, but the kc learned is all over the place from what im seeing. =o making me want to tune to the modified stock tune for now to be safe till we finish moving and get internet in the new place =( Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Wonder is that kind of knock can be "fix" it with 93 oct, still using 91 oct tune
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
HLHachiRoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Wonder is that kind of knock can be "fix" it with 93 oct, still using 91 oct tune
Sadly we have 91 here in az, or 100 which is $$. Only 3 stations I know of that sell e85 too. Im going to switch back to costco gas next fill up again. Seemed as if it didnt have that kind of knock, but didnt have that feature on either. Waiting to see what steve99 says. Changing my header gaskets out friday too, sounds louder now under the hood. Grrr lol.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLHachiRoku View Post
Ok today I did a 3rd gear run and some 4th gear till about 6-7k. Believe it is looking like knocking after recording that FLKC as you mentioned @steve99.

Might have been off throttle?, but the kc learned is all over the place from what im seeing. =o making me want to tune to the modified stock tune for now to be safe till we finish moving and get internet in the new place =( Thanks again!
flkc indicates knock if its negitive

kc learned is not knock you need to compare kc learned to the knock correction max a table to determine if its knock easier to use flkc and fbkc have a read of the ecu logging link below
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
HLHachiRoku (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Sadly we have 91 here in az, or 100 which is $$. Only 3 stations I know of that sell e85 too. Im going to switch back to costco gas next fill up again. Seemed as if it didnt have that kind of knock, but didnt have that feature on either. Waiting to see what steve99 says. Changing my header gaskets out friday too, sounds louder now under the hood. Grrr lol.

I'm here in AZ (San Tan Valley) as well. Running the same map. If you needed some gaskets from where header meets motor, I believe I have an extra set of grimm speed lying around. -- My JDL header never came with the required Overpipe bolts or gaskets so I used my extra OP gasket and had to buy home depot nuts and bolts. Will be using Lock-tite.

If you still need the gaskets, let me know. I'm always down to help a local AZ86 if I can
HLHachiRoku (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
BurnetRhoades

Drives: 2013 "Hot Lava"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I could be wrong but I'm betting knock gets better or disappears altogether switching to something besides Costco or Sams Club gas.
BurnetRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:21 AM   #10
HLHachiRoku

Thanks! I already ordered them and put them on today. Only $17 bucks for both, can't beat that. Grimspeed ones too. Also a very small leak header to over pipe I saw, fixed that up hopefully. Nothing from op to 2nd cat tho.

There actually was a leak on the drivers side header gasket, didn't damage anything as it want to big. Think it was big enough to mess with things possibly far as ecu read outs? Sucking air in making it rich at non wot? Maybe why it felt that power loss low throttle rom to wot? Hopefully didn't mess things up motor wise. Thanks again for offering to help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
I'm here in AZ (San Tan Valley) as well. Running the same map. If you needed some gaskets from where header meets motor, I believe I have an extra set of grimm speed lying around. -- My JDL header never came with the required Overpipe bolts or gaskets so I used my extra OP gasket and had to buy home depot nuts and bolts. Will be using Lock-tite.

If you still need the gaskets, let me know. I'm always down to help a local AZ86 if I can
Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
HLHachiRoku

Update: I think it still knocking =\ I'm going to try and put something else in besides costco gas in next fill up. Their 91 might not be as great 91 as i thought that's cheapest around tho hah =\ http://www.datazap.me/u/hlhachiroku/...&data=1-5-8-13 3rd gear/4th pull then 4th gear pull and it pulled MUCH harder then 3rd/4th gear run. The rest is off freeway/traffic, seems to be issues when not WOT im seeing the flkc jumping all over, none of it is over 1.0 i know its not supposed to happen tho =(. Hopefully I can get some changes on the map soon =D I'll have to read up on how to do that tonight to change the correct map.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Update: I think it still knocking =\ I'm going to try and put something else in besides costco gas in next fill up. Their 91 might not be as great 91 as i thought that's cheapest around tho hah =\ http://www.datazap.me/u/hlhachiroku/...&data=1-5-8-13 3rd gear/4th pull then 4th gear pull and it pulled MUCH harder then 3rd/4th gear run. The rest is off freeway/traffic, seems to be issues when not WOT im seeing the flkc jumping all over, none of it is over 1.0 i know its not supposed to happen tho =(. Hopefully I can get some changes on the map soon =D I'll have to read up on how to do that tonight to change the correct map.
Can't see anything wrong or worth changing in that log apart from being too rich during WOT.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
HLHachiRoku (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
HLHachiRoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Can't see anything wrong or worth changing in that log apart from being too rich during WOT.
Woah, really? Thanks @Wayno The other logs I posted at the begining were a bit similar I thought. I thought the issue was still happening that steve99 was suggesting to have me do the smoothing. Also wanna take a look at Shiv post about the jdl UEL catless header map too. Since I have that header. SO much to do now, the OFT is great! haha
Old 03-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Update: I think it still knocking =\ I'm going to try and put something else in besides costco gas in next fill up. Their 91 might not be as great 91 as i thought that's cheapest around tho hah =\
Not sure if Costco is a top tier fuel, but I kinda doubt it. They may not even use the same supplier every time since their goal is to get the absolute cheapest price possible, so you could have decent quality fuel one day and crap the next.

I fill up primarily with quik trip 91 and I've been pleased with it. Recently autocrossed the car and did not see any significant knock. We'll see what happens when things get much warmer though.

I understand wanting the best price when driving so much but I'd personally rather not detonate. In my experience quik trip is typically the best priced top tier fuel in Phoenix.

Similar setup as you: JDL UEL, stage 2 tune.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
HLHachiRoku (03-30-2016)