follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question UHP Tire Breakaway Characteristics

Looking to ditch the OEM Michelins and go with something stickier. The one characteristic I really despise about the stock tires is their sudden breakaway- I can be nailing a corner nicely, and suddenly the back end decides it wants to step out. Yeah, I know, Driftcar and all that nonsense, but I'm more concerned about control and predictability during aggressive driving.

I'm looking at what's available through my local America's Tires, simply because I've been pleased with their service and convenience. In particular, I'm interested in (in order of preference) Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Hankook Ventus R-S3s, and Continental Extreme Contact DWs. I think the Bridgestones represent the best value, but would be willing to spring the extra $100 for the Pilots, based on one characteristic- breakaway.

I drove an NB Miata for 5 or 6 years, and found out how important good rubber is. The car came with some cheap all-season Hankooks that would break loose if I even thought about hitting the accelerator in the wet. I put on a set of Falken Azenis and was immediately in love- ultra sticky, excellent feedback, and when they let loose they did so in an extremely predictable manner- the car simply added a lateral vector that was extremely controllable. At one point I made the mistake of getting a set of Yokohama S-Drives. These stuck pretty well but when they let loose the did so with little warning and even less control- the car would suddenly lurch sideways, which did little to boost my confidence in them.

So... does anybody have any experience/feedback about the Bridgestone Pole Positions vs Michelin Pilots or Hankook Ventus?

Thanks!
FlamingRectumSyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you looking for a more all around tire that sticky and is good for daily driving?

Or are you looking for ultimate stick and don't mind the tires being loud or noisy while driving?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Oh, I know they're going to be noisier, and probably have a harsher ride as well. What I'm looking for are tires that will let me corner hard with confidence, and let loose predictably when I've exceeded their traction limits. A tire with a 200 to 300 wear rating, with AA or better traction. I live where the temperature seldom drops below 40F, so summer tires work nicely year-round.

I see you're in the east bay- I live in Tracy, but work at the old Alameda Naval Air Station:
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamingRectumSyndrome For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingRectumSyndrome View Post
Oh, I know they're going to be noisier, and probably have a harsher ride as well. What I'm looking for are tires that will let me corner hard with confidence, and let loose predictably when I've exceeded their traction limits. A tire with a 200 to 300 wear rating, with AA or better traction. I live where the temperature seldom drops below 40F, so summer tires work nicely year-round.
are you opposed to R compound with 100 or less treadwear?
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
People have found that MPSS are more DD friendly and give a little extra grip while the RS3 are a better performing tire that won't do as well with wet/rainy weather and are noisier than the MPSS. The RS3 will also wear faster than the MPSS
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
I see you're in the east bay- I live in Tracy, but work at the old Alameda Naval Air Station:
Nice. I actually have MPSS on my wheels now, because that's how I bought them (bought the wheel and tire as a combo and saved $$) anyways I still want to try a bunch of different tires, RS3 and NT05 for example, to see what I like and what best suits my driving.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

The car is a daily driver that racks up an easy 1200 miles per month. I know mileage will suffer, but going to a 100 treadwear is probably overdoing it.

I was basing my preference for the Bridgestones based on this:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...osition-page-9

And the Pilots are $100+ more per set than the Pole Positions. They've got similar wear ratings (280 for the Bridgestones, 300 for the Michelins). They review pretty similarly, so what it really seems to boil down to is whether one or the other lets loose more controllably/predictably.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #8
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Nice. I actually have MPSS on my wheels now, because that's how I bought them (bought the wheel and tire as a combo and saved $$) anyways I still want to try a bunch of different tires, RS3 and NT05 for example, to see what I like and what best suits my driving.
I had NT05s on the Miata as well, and they were much like the Falken Azenis- very sticky, but let loose predictably. I really liked them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamingRectumSyndrome For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-16-2016), MisterSheep (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
The car is a daily driver that racks up an easy 1200 miles per month. I know mileage will suffer, but going to a 100 treadwear is probably overdoing it.

I was basing my preference for the Bridgestones based on this:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...osition-page-9

And the Pilots are $100+ more per set than the Pole Positions. They've got similar wear ratings (280 for the Bridgestones, 300 for the Michelins). They review pretty similarly, so what it really seems to boil down to is whether one or the other lets loose more controllably/predictably.
In all honesty I haven't been able to get my tires out from under me predictably with the MPSS. I know this might be completely wrong through other eyes but. Sometimes I would be ripping on the car hard, redlining in gear and shifting gears (1st to 2nd) and it won't or barely chirp. Sometimes I could do the same thing but then the tire will slide completely horrizontally and then the front tires would line the car back up correctly to save it.

I guess the "predictability" is all on how you drive and the road conditions.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
I had NT05s on the Miata as well, and they were much like the Falken Azenis- very sticky, but let loose predictably. I really liked them.
Why not go NT05 for the frs? are you getting new wheels, or are you just upgrading tires on stock wheels?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Quote:
In all honesty I haven't been able to get my tires out from under me predictably with the MPSS. I know this might be completely wrong through other eyes but. Sometimes I would be ripping on the car hard, redlining in gear and shifting gears (1st to 2nd) and it won't or barely chirp. Sometimes I could do the same thing but then the tire will slide completely horrizontally and then the front tires would line the car back up correctly to save it.

I guess the "predictability" is all on how you drive and the road conditions.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's a matter of how the suspension is set up vs. the Miata. If the intended buyer was a 22 year old who wanted to get his car sideways at every opportunity, it might be that this behavior is an intentional effect of the design engineering and not necessarily a characteristic of the tires.

That being said, my (limited) experience is that harder tires let loose less predictably (and with more drawing-the-wrong-kind-of-attention noise) than stickier ones.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why not go NT05 for the frs? are you getting new wheels, or are you just upgrading tires on stock wheels?
Quote:
I will be putting NT05's on my car here in the spring so if you want I can give you a review of them with the FRS, however my car has a number of other mods that will effect handling. I will be running 225/45R/17 on stock rims
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if it's a matter of how the suspension is set up vs. the Miata. If the intended buyer was a 22 year old who wanted to get his car sideways at every opportunity, it might be that this behavior is an intentional effect of the design engineering and not necessarily a characteristic of the tires.

That being said, my (limited) experience is that harder tires let loose less predictably (and with more drawing-the-wrong-kind-of-attention noise) than stickier ones.
You will also find that this car is in fact set up from stock to be stiffer in the rear to give it that ability to kick out easily PAIRED with the stock, skinny tires.

Better tires will create a much better feel paired up with some camber bolts in the front for better cornering..

It all depends on what you want to do with your car. We have a meetup this Thursday in Livermore which I know is much closer to Tracy than most of our East Bay meets. If you have time come down and don't be afraid to ask any other questions you may have. We have plenty of knowledgeable people who will be more than happy to help you out with any questions you may have about the platform.
Heres a link to the thread; http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...51922&page=125
Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #14
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
I went with Conti Extreme DW. Very quiet and grippy with excellent wet weather traction. I wanted the MPSS originally but I found the Contis were a better value. They are wearing very well too. I've never been a fan of Bridgestones. They seem to feather much quicker than other tires and are very noisy.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KendallH For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (02-17-2016), tracerit (02-23-2016), venturaII (02-17-2016)