follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #43
xDanger_208x

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just received my shifter from BPS along with a rear tranny mount and shift springs. I installed the mount and springs last night and the car feels amazing! So much so that I'm considering sending the shifter back. I'm so happy with the way it feels now that I'm satisfied, and I could use the $200 towards go fast stuff.
Anyone else feel this way?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #44
trigger happy
Bang Bang

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1990 View Post
I wish I would have read this before I ordered the BPS shifter earlier this week. Now I'm a little worried that my car that has no issues and I love driving will now be plagued with this rattle lol. I guess I'll install it without modifying it at all and see what happens. I'll update everyone once I have it installed and have driven it.
Install it..see what happens if it rattles send it back. Here in louisville ky there is a company called dynosty that will be selling one for 135.00. They r also a vendor on here. Your close enough you could just drive down and pick one up.

http://www.frsmod.com/products/shift...er-for-frs-brz

Raven 6MT//Injen CAI//VDS UEL//Invidia N1//OFT//ST Coilovers
trigger happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have this shifter but was also plagued with problems. Tons of rattling and the final "solution" was to heat shrink the shifter arm and then grease it up and install the reverse lockout. I've done this part 3 times and within a day or two the reverse lockout becomes so stiff you have to be ripped to get it in reverse. Once in reverse the lockout doesn't return to its standard position so when you're done reversing and are ready to put in first you just end up in reverse again.

I spent so much time emailing Mat to get no solutions at all that I gave up. I've spent more time than it's worth and now I need to spend some time in the garage to get this fixed once and for all. Maybe Kartboy is the solution because BPS isn't.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #46
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
I have this shifter but was also plagued with problems. Tons of rattling and the final "solution" was to heat shrink the shifter arm and then grease it up and install the reverse lockout. I've done this part 3 times and within a day or two the reverse lockout becomes so stiff you have to be ripped to get it in reverse. Once in reverse the lockout doesn't return to its standard position so when you're done reversing and are ready to put in first you just end up in reverse again.

I spent so much time emailing Mat to get no solutions at all that I gave up. I've spent more time than it's worth and now I need to spend some time in the garage to get this fixed once and for all. Maybe Kartboy is the solution because BPS isn't.
I actually swapped back from the modified parts to the original lockout without the heat shrink because I got tired of the lockout not going back down after coming out of reverse. Still get a muted rattle around 4k, but I don't want to spend another $200 on a different shifter and still have a rattle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #47
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Glad it wasn't just me.. I spent $200+ on my WC Lathewerks knob and another $200 on BPS and I did all the supporting trans mounts and rear shift bushings so after $500+ in the shifter alone you can understand my frustrations. I have been able to silence the rattle for the most part but the reverse lockout is a safety issue and BPS should fix this for the early adopters. I haven't seen any posts by BPS lately so I doubt they care.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #48
xDanger_208x

Drives:
Well I guess my mind is made up. I'm sending the shifter back.
My $200 can be better spent elsewhere on the car, and I'm continually reading about shifter problems. The stock setup with bushings and springs is phenomenal! I'm not messing with a great thing.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #49
xDanger_208x

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by normancw View Post
Which tranny mount and springs did you get?
Mtec tranny springs and can't remember on the bushing. Huge difference though.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #50
James1990

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The shifter arrived last night and after looking at it I think that they might have changed the washers. I'll post pics tonight but my small washer looks slightly smaller than the first pics on the thread and the larger washer looks slightly larger and it's a some sort of hard rubber or plastic washer. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I recieved an email from Sylvain at BPS after I asked him if my shifter was modifed in anyway recently. He said "You have the latest revision. Few are still having minor rattling issues due to the OEM linkage design. We are looking at this and will inform you of any changes."

Last edited by James1990; 10-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.
James1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #51
James1990

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
Installed the shifter last night.. Drove it through all six gears and redlined a few.. And guys.. NO RATTLE.. I think think their revised version does the trick. Least we hope so! I'll drive it some more today and see if it will do anything but the shifter feels great! Now a Flossy knob and I'm set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
James1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #52
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Just installed mine today (purchased back in August) and have the dreaded rattle. Thought it might be the updated version, but not sure.

Mine had a spring clip to go on the side next to the cotter pin. Their web instructions said not to re-intall the original little washer next to the pin...just put on the spring clip, and did not mention using any additional washers...so I didn't. Maybe I should have used the washer included in the kit, but their instructions were so vague I didn't know what it was for.

It does, however, look and feel great. Just doesn't sound great. Maybe the headers will drown it out!
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #53
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2024 Trueno Edition
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post
Just installed mine today (purchased back in August) and have the dreaded rattle. Thought it might be the updated version, but not sure.

Mine had a spring clip to go on the side next to the cotter pin. Their web instructions said not to re-intall the original little washer next to the pin...just put on the spring clip, and did not mention using any additional washers...so I didn't. Maybe I should have used the washer included in the kit, but their instructions were so vague I didn't know what it was for.

It does, however, look and feel great. Just doesn't sound great. Maybe the headers will drown it out!
I installed the BPS Short Shifter last weekend and have the rattle over 5k rpms. I got mine in January of 2014 so I dont know if this issue was ever fixed. Kinda sucks but it is a better feel. Might have to try some of the solutions that were discussed in this thread.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #54
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any updates on this? Anyone got the latest revision of the shifter that supposedly doesn't rattle?

Seems like every aftermarket short shifter is plagued by rattles. What gives?
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #55
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiranakayama View Post
Any updates on this? Anyone got the latest revision of the shifter that supposedly doesn't rattle?

Seems like every aftermarket short shifter is plagued by rattles. What gives?
There are 2 small o rings that slide on the pivot shaft, some shifters require one while others require 2, my Kartboy came with 2 and I only used one since there was one from my OEM shifter already on there, I get a tiny barely noticeable rattle if I'm at low rpms (2-2.5k) I think even the stock shifter did this, haven't had any issues or any strange noises ever.

Bottom line i think people over look those small o rings or maybe they just didn't receive them in the kit, but that's just based on what I've read on other threads.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #56
SHIFTEVO

Drives: Lightning Red
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Wonder if it'll get rid of the notchiness--let us know, thx.
Notchiness is the beauty of it! whyyyy
SHIFTEVO is offline   Reply With Quote