follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #1
wheelsun

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ side marker with turn signal functionality

Hey guys,

I just purchased the Avest LED side markers for my BRZ and am a little confused on how to set up the wiring for the turn signals. The included instructions show how to splice the wiring and have them connect to the FRS turn signal which is much easier to get to but the BRZ turn signal is actually in the headlight itself. Has anyone done this and if so is there a guide or something similar I can use before I start the wiring process? I haven't done much electrical work before and want to make sure I don't break anything in the process..

For reference these are the side markers I purchased:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTOZ5AE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o01_s01"]Amazon.com: LED Side Marker Clear Lens Amber Turn Signal and DRL White For Scion FR-S Toyota 86 Subaru BRZ: Automotive[/ame]

I've searched the forums quite a bit but haven't been able to find a clear answer, most if not all threads are guides on how to do wiring on the FRS

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by wheelsun; 01-01-2016 at 12:58 AM.
wheelsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
FnFast
Doctor

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am in the same boat. I am assuming you just want to splice into the head light wire that has the turn signal.

I am going to tackle this now and see. Perhaps do a DIY if it's not too cold.

Will

Jeremy Clarkson "If you go though the Pearly Gates, backwards, in a fireball, that's a cool way to die!"
2013 White Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT - 15% Tint, Debadged, HIDPowerhouse LED Interiors and Dome
FnFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm interested in doing this. Found this recently: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
FnFast
Doctor

Wheelsun: I have the same sidemarkers are you and just installed them with the turn signal. It's quite easy actually. I am having issues uploading the video, so I will just explain what I did.

Step 1: remove the 4 plastic clips in the fender well.

Step 2: Remove the stock side markers ( there are plenty of tutorials on this)

Step 3: Connect your side marker to the plug. DO NOT connect to the fender just yet.

Step 4: Find the turn signal plug connected to the headlight and remove.

Step 5: Run the red wire supplied by the new side marker outside the car and insert the exposed metal into the connector. The connector with the white wire going towards it.

Step 6: Turn your hazards on and confirm that the side markers are working properly.

Step 7: Run the red wire through the fenderwall. This was tricky being the red wire is a small gauge. What I did was the the old clothes hanger trick to feed it through.

Step 8: Start feeding the red wire through and completely install the side marker. Take your time with this as Clip A is a pain.

Step 9: Splice the red wire into the white wire of the turn signal with the hardware supplied in your kit.

Step 10: Make sure everything is working perfectly. I prefer to splice so it's an easy un-installation process if you ever decide to de-mod or anything.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will try and upload videos/image tonight.

Sincerely,

Will

Jeremy Clarkson "If you go though the Pearly Gates, backwards, in a fireball, that's a cool way to die!"
2013 White Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT - 15% Tint, Debadged, HIDPowerhouse LED Interiors and Dome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FnFast For This Useful Post:
llawd (01-01-2016), wheelsun (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
wheelsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnFast View Post
Wheelsun: I have the same sidemarkers are you and just installed them with the turn signal. It's quite easy actually. I am having issues uploading the video, so I will just explain what I did.

Step 1: remove the 4 plastic clips in the fender well.

Step 2: Remove the stock side markers ( there are plenty of tutorials on this)

Step 3: Connect your side marker to the plug. DO NOT connect to the fender just yet.

Step 4: Find the turn signal plug connected to the headlight and remove.

Step 5: Run the red wire supplied by the new side marker outside the car and insert the exposed metal into the connector. The connector with the white wire going towards it.

Step 6: Turn your hazards on and confirm that the side markers are working properly.

Step 7: Run the red wire through the fenderwall. This was tricky being the red wire is a small gauge. What I did was the the old clothes hanger trick to feed it through.

Step 8: Start feeding the red wire through and completely install the side marker. Take your time with this as Clip A is a pain.

Step 9: Splice the red wire into the white wire of the turn signal with the hardware supplied in your kit.

Step 10: Make sure everything is working perfectly. I prefer to splice so it's an easy un-installation process if you ever decide to de-mod or anything.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will try and upload videos/image tonight.

Sincerely,

Will
You are the man! I will give it a shot with your text instructions ASAP but pictures and videos would probably help lots of other fellow BRZ owners in the future! Thank you so much, will report back with how I do
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
FnFast
Doctor

Video 1: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQRo3_f4yg"]January 1, 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

**** I realized that I set up my phone bad... but it's basically testing which wire controls the blink.

Video 2: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc14ZWp5vhI"]January 1, 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

Video 3: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_lkchhMtg"]January 1, 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FnFast For This Useful Post:
llawd (01-01-2016), wheelsun (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
wheelsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnFast View Post
Video 1:

**** I realized that I set up my phone bad... but it's basically testing which wire controls the blink.

Video 2:

Video 3:
I got it all wired up! Thanks for the videos, they helped a bunch