follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #393
brzd

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
1 Year 7 mo, still can't stand anything but the exterior about this car.
Same, the interior feels cheap, but whatever. It's a lot of fun to drive you kind of forget about it
brzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #394
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrat86 View Post
There is no reason to be looking over your shoulder if you have your mirrors set correctly. In fact this car is the best car I have ever owned with respect to elimating blind spots. Another big misconception pasted around on this board. I learned how to correctly set my mirrors on my very first track day many, many years ago.
Properly set up mirrors are a bitch to park in reverse in tight spots and not hit curbs with though
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #395
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
very
LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #396
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
1: Right knee hits the shift bezel when I have the cruise control on, when the CC is off the foot placement is fine .. but I drive 160 miles a day on my work commute and when I am on the throttle more than 10 minutes I get a cramp in my right leg. I am in pretty decent shape and not had this issue in other vehicles. (something may be wrong with the way you are set up to drive, try changing you driving position, shift bezel as in auto trans steering shift? if so then manual

2: $50 fix, if it was so cheap why didn't it just come with the car? I already remedied it, luckily the aftermarket support for these cars is amazing.( because some people actually enjoy carrying tons of liquid refreshments and need 50 cupholders, I am one of them, plus my arm is quite comfy resting on the tiny plastic border.

3: Low lights is poor lights indeed. I don't like Jeeps, haha. Toyota guy here. Not better than any car I've owned, literally the worst low beams I've had. (meh dunno about this one aftermarket lights I believe)

4: I could say lexus tires, but P215 tires on a sports car .. cmon man. (I remember when 13-15" tires were a thing so no comment lol)

5: Can't think of any, I think all hyundais and kias come with them standard. (2013 Fiesta ST, lots of American and European econo boxes, Korean cars like kia and Hyundai are very very well equipped for their price brackets normally, that's how they sell, better equipped than competitors for the same price)

6: I've owned 4 second gen tacomas, literally bought one for $20k, put 30k miles on it and sold it for $20k.. guess I am spoiled.. the other 2 were similar in buy / sell price and still own a 2012 Tacoma. (how old was the Tacoma and how long did you own it, depreciation is steep for the first 4-5 years then settles down some for a while on a lot of models, plus don't most tacomas sell for like 30k unless you get the base model with nothing at all in it?)

7: valid point

8: Compared to a 4k lb+ Tacoma, armored up shaped like a brick. From a dead stop in a straight line I get walked on by a NBS Silverado, ford fusion, an old infiniti G20, the list goes on. (You have the AT, change final gear and all those except the Silverado will now be in your rear-view mirror)

(truck for reference)

That's right, I say some unbiased opinions in a thread literally asking what I don't like about the car and I get called a derp. Nice. Well you have your opinions as well, have a nice day. I don't conform to the fanboy pool, every vehicle has pros and cons, I realize this is probably the best vehicle you've ever owned but there are better alternatives out there. (not being a fanboy just dumbfounded how you came to own a car with so many things you dislike about it, especially since all your gripes are things you could tell by just sitting in the car on the lot and looking at a brochure form inside it). I hate Ford Fusions because they have a poop driving position, look like shit, are not comfortable, etc. all things I noticed with a 5 minute drive so I wouldn't buy the car, people are just curious how you didn't notice these things and if you did why you would have bought the car anyways

Again, a thread asking for opinions and I post my opinions. Please don't hold back, I don't want you to be civil on the internet. But I will be for argument's sake. If you're so delusional about this rattle trap of a car and it's 'badassery' then I apologize.

Cars I've owned for reference
1988 Taurus SHO
1988 Ford Bronco (still own)
1997 Mazda B2300
2001 Ford Ranger
2002 WS6 (overpriced, terrible engineering and so fugly)
2002 Z28 (still own) (and you call the FRS a rattle trap, can't think of one redeeming factor about this model especially these years)
2003 Ford Ranger
2004 Lightning (ok, )
2004 GTO (now theres a real rattle trap)
2005 GTO (same)
2006 Tacoma (nothing negative to say but I don't need a truck for my use)
2008 Tacoma
2008 Z71 Silverado (meh(
2011 Tacoma
2011 Camry (grandpa wants his car back but all in all pretty decent)
2012 Tacoma (still own)
2013 F150 (still own)
2013 CTS-V (Oh god you couldn't give me one of these if I only had to pay maintenance fees)
2015 FRS

I am probably forgetting a couple but every one of these vehicles has its issues, I do my own mods and maintenance and none are perfect.

Will probably buy an R35 or a raptor (maybe an f250) next year around October, point out its flaws and receive the same backlash. Which is fine, there is no perfect vehicle on the road.

These critiscm weren't to blast you or your opinion, just to state how opinions can vary greatly and a car you dislike can be great for somebody else and vice versa.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #397
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Properly set up mirrors are a bitch to park in reverse in tight spots and not hit curbs with though
Tinted windshield with aftermarket valenti reverse lights = fun times trying to reverse at 2 in the morning. seriously, even tho this car is small, its a pain in the ass trying to reverse with stock side mirrors. I had to dish out $100 for wide angle mirrors but i still cant see sht when its dark out.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 01:22 AM   #398
TimmyC

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
Tinted windshield with aftermarket valenti reverse lights = fun times trying to reverse at 2 in the morning. seriously, even tho this car is small, its a pain in the ass trying to reverse with stock side mirrors. I had to dish out $100 for wide angle mirrors but i still cant see sht when its dark out.
My Valenti bottom light is actually brighter than stock...
TimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 AM   #399
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
My Valenti bottom light is actually brighter than stock...
Do you have tint? I got 20 percent all around and the reverse is barely visible. It was actually better when i had stock.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 AM   #400
TimmyC

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have tint? I got 20 percent all around and the reverse is barely visible. It was actually better when i had stock.
Nope, I was planning on getting a tint but ended up spending my tint money on valentis and now its winter sooo...
TimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #401
Large
IG: large2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
These critiscm weren't to blast you or your opinion, just to state how opinions can vary greatly and a car you dislike can be great for somebody else and vice versa.
It's all good, took me a minute to realize you wrote in my post haha.
Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #402
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Nope, I was planning on getting a tint but ended up spending my tint money on valentis and now its winter sooo...
Haha. Isn't Seattle always dark? If that's the case you won't even need tint. Heard it's one of the saddest city due to its weather, or I might have mixed it up with somewhere else lol
Old 11-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #403
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Coming up on a year of ownership now. I'd say I'm kind of "over it".

Don't get me wrong, it's a great, fun car. Easily affordable, low-ish monthly payments. It looks great, drives great, comfortable enough. But it just isn't a good fit for my lifestyle, or at least at times it isn't. I've owned 3 cars in my life, and driven many, many more. My first car was a Toyota Camry with a V6, great power, super comfy, nicely equipped. When I wrote that off, I got a Mazda 626 with the 5 speed. Again, nice car, but a bit older, so it wasn't as well equipped, but was still comfy and big enough for my life. I sold that when the repairs started adding up a little too much. I then got the FR-S.

In an ideal situation, I'd have a second car, but due to me barely driving the FR-S because of work, it just isn't practical for me to do that. Really, what's killing it for me is the lack of space and road noise. I'm starting to lean towards something more in the GT category, as I just want something that'll eat up the miles while being comfy, quiet(er) and more powerful. But then some days I'd also like to have a truck, since it seems like the FR-S isn't ideal for towing around my ATV, so when that has to get done, I need to borrow my dad's truck.

Another thing that makes me kick myself, is that I rushed into the purchase. I test drove it, then put a down payment on it when I got back and I wasn't even considering an FR-S at the time. Was originally looking for a used tC. Not that I totally regret that, but if I held off a little bit, I could have explored the market a little bit more. Possibly ended up in a Mustang, Genesis, 370 or maybe even a Lexus RC.

It's not that I didn't do my research, it's just that I should have been more thorough and looked at other options. No car is perfect by any stretch, but it's little things like the convenience features. For example, my work truck has dual zone auto climate control. I love that, it's nice to set and forget, then maybe adjust it every now and then on a long drive. In the FR-S, I find myself constantly fiddling with it to get it just right. Heated seats would have been awesome as well.

But, apart from that, I can't fault the car for what it is, and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It's just that the honeymoon is over for me, and I realize that maybe something else is right for me.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Yoda (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #404
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Coming up on a year of ownership now. I'd say I'm kind of "over it".

Don't get me wrong, it's a great, fun car. Easily affordable, low-ish monthly payments. It looks great, drives great, comfortable enough. But it just isn't a good fit for my lifestyle, or at least at times it isn't. I've owned 3 cars in my life, and driven many, many more. My first car was a Toyota Camry with a V6, great power, super comfy, nicely equipped. When I wrote that off, I got a Mazda 626 with the 5 speed. Again, nice car, but a bit older, so it wasn't as well equipped, but was still comfy and big enough for my life. I sold that when the repairs started adding up a little too much. I then got the FR-S.

In an ideal situation, I'd have a second car, but due to me barely driving the FR-S because of work, it just isn't practical for me to do that. Really, what's killing it for me is the lack of space and road noise. I'm starting to lean towards something more in the GT category, as I just want something that'll eat up the miles while being comfy, quiet(er) and more powerful. But then some days I'd also like to have a truck, since it seems like the FR-S isn't ideal for towing around my ATV, so when that has to get done, I need to borrow my dad's truck.

Another thing that makes me kick myself, is that I rushed into the purchase. I test drove it, then put a down payment on it when I got back and I wasn't even considering an FR-S at the time. Was originally looking for a used tC. Not that I totally regret that, but if I held off a little bit, I could have explored the market a little bit more. Possibly ended up in a Mustang, Genesis, 370 or maybe even a Lexus RC.

It's not that I didn't do my research, it's just that I should have been more thorough and looked at other options. No car is perfect by any stretch, but it's little things like the convenience features. For example, my work truck has dual zone auto climate control. I love that, it's nice to set and forget, then maybe adjust it every now and then on a long drive. In the FR-S, I find myself constantly fiddling with it to get it just right. Heated seats would have been awesome as well.

But, apart from that, I can't fault the car for what it is, and I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It's just that the honeymoon is over for me, and I realize that maybe something else is right for me.
I feel the same way. I spend too much time traveling on the interstate to really enjoy what the car was meant for. Look at a used Porsche Cayman S for next year. Fits best for me.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoda For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #405
evomike

Drives: frs
after this weekend I want to firebomb my car honestly, I decided to fix all the issues I was having myself and then my tensioner goes to shit. there is no excuse for a car with 33k miles to have tensioner failure and shred a serpentine belt.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #406
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha. Isn't Seattle always dark? If that's the case you won't even need tint. Heard it's one of the saddest city due to its weather, or I might have mixed it up with somewhere else lol
People have asked me if I'm suicidal due to the weather here.

We get sun in late spring and most of summer... lolol
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote