follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #365
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
And along with that: if there is no 2nd generation at all...
Ah yes, I didn't take it far enough either.
strat61caster (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #366
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The only thing that bothers me about this car is finding out after the fact that it is going to be incredibly expensive to make fast. I still love the car immensely, but 380whp will take stupid money into this car. Plus, the transmissions blow up at any sign of good torque. It feels good to have bought this car brand new and me being the one and true owner, but I am having a bit of buyers remorse simply at the fact that it's going to be very expensive to mod. This is a car I would've been happier to buy at $14000 instead of $25000. Then again, there's no other substitute in being the first owner.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #367
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
The only thing that bothers me about this car is finding out after the fact that it is going to be incredibly expensive to make fast. I still love the car immensely, but 380whp will take stupid money into this car. Plus, the transmissions blow up at any sign of good torque. It feels good to have bought this car brand new and me being the one and true owner, but I am having a bit of buyers remorse simply at the fact that it's going to be very expensive to mod. This is a car I would've been happier to buy at $14000 instead of $25000. Then again, there's no other substitute in being the first owner.

Coming from k20, I thought bolt on tune will be somewhat quick.
Kinda disappointed In that department but you can't have everything I guess.
On the side note s2k doesn't gain too much also, that makes me feel little better
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #368
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I owe 9k on mine. I would buy it for that now. So, I guess I am happy. It has 55,000 miles.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #369
Large
IG: large2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I know that opinions are subjective but I felt a need to provide a counter point to this one.

1: Right knee hits the shift bezel when I have the cruise control on, when the CC is off the foot placement is fine .. but I drive 160 miles a day on my work commute and when I am on the throttle more than 10 minutes I get a cramp in my right leg. I am in pretty decent shape and not had this issue in other vehicles.

2: $50 fix, if it was so cheap why didn't it just come with the car? I already remedied it, luckily the aftermarket support for these cars is amazing.

3: Low lights is poor lights indeed. I don't like Jeeps, haha. Toyota guy here. Not better than any car I've owned, literally the worst low beams I've had.

4: I could say lexus tires, but P215 tires on a sports car .. cmon man.

5: Can't think of any, I think all hyundais and kias come with them standard.

6: I've owned 4 second gen tacomas, literally bought one for $20k, put 30k miles on it and sold it for $20k.. guess I am spoiled.. the other 2 were similar in buy / sell price and still own a 2012 Tacoma.

7: valid point

8: Compared to a 4k lb+ Tacoma, armored up shaped like a brick. From a dead stop in a straight line I get walked on by a NBS Silverado, ford fusion, an old infiniti G20, the list goes on.

(truck for reference)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Sounds like he didn't buy the right car lol, however I find it funny that most of his cons are known with just a 20 minute test drive... hell even on paper.

Its not fast.
It doesn't come with arm rest.
It has "prius" tires.
Its small however I've seen many 6' + owners fit comfortably.
Resale value, with ANY new car derp.
Its not a luxury car, its a cheap RWD 2+2 JDM YO modern day 90s true driving sports car.
That's right, I say some unbiased opinions in a thread literally asking what I don't like about the car and I get called a derp. Nice. Well you have your opinions as well, have a nice day. I don't conform to the fanboy pool, every vehicle has pros and cons, I realize this is probably the best vehicle you've ever owned but there are better alternatives out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Heh, saw that post minutes after he posted it this morning. Wanted to reply, especially to the auto dimming mirror and factory tires point but wouldn't have been so civil about it so I stopped myself.

A new car loses what... 10% of what it's worth right after you leave the lot?
Again, a thread asking for opinions and I post my opinions. Please don't hold back, I don't want you to be civil on the internet. But I will be for argument's sake. If you're so delusional about this rattle trap of a car and it's 'badassery' then I apologize.

Cars I've owned for reference
1988 Taurus SHO
1988 Ford Bronco (still own)
1997 Mazda B2300
2001 Ford Ranger
2002 WS6
2002 Z28 (still own)
2003 Ford Ranger
2004 Lightning
2004 GTO
2005 GTO
2006 Tacoma
2008 Tacoma
2008 Z71 Silverado
2011 Tacoma
2011 Camry
2012 Tacoma (still own)
2013 F150 (still own)
2013 CTS-V
2015 FRS

I am probably forgetting a couple but every one of these vehicles has its issues, I do my own mods and maintenance and none are perfect.

Will probably buy an R35 or a raptor (maybe an f250) next year around October, point out its flaws and receive the same backlash. Which is fine, there is no perfect vehicle on the road.
Large is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Large For This Useful Post:
Yoda (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #370
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
1: Right knee hits the shift bezel when I have the cruise control on, when the CC is off the foot placement is fine .. but I drive 160 miles a day on my work commute and when I am on the throttle more than 10 minutes I get a cramp in my right leg. I am in pretty decent shape and not had this issue in other vehicles.

2: $50 fix, if it was so cheap why didn't it just come with the car? I already remedied it, luckily the aftermarket support for these cars is amazing.

3: Low lights is poor lights indeed. I don't like Jeeps, haha. Toyota guy here. Not better than any car I've owned, literally the worst low beams I've had.

4: I could say lexus tires, but P215 tires on a sports car .. cmon man.

5: Can't think of any, I think all hyundais and kias come with them standard.

6: I've owned 4 second gen tacomas, literally bought one for $20k, put 30k miles on it and sold it for $20k.. guess I am spoiled.. the other 2 were similar in buy / sell price and still own a 2012 Tacoma.

7: valid point

8: Compared to a 4k lb+ Tacoma, armored up shaped like a brick. From a dead stop in a straight line I get walked on by a NBS Silverado, ford fusion, an old infiniti G20, the list goes on.

(truck for reference)

That's right, I say some unbiased opinions in a thread literally asking what I don't like about the car and I get called a derp. Nice. Well you have your opinions as well, have a nice day. I don't conform to the fanboy pool, every vehicle has pros and cons, I realize this is probably the best vehicle you've ever owned but there are better alternatives out there.

Again, a thread asking for opinions and I post my opinions. Please don't hold back, I don't want you to be civil on the internet. But I will be for argument's sake. If you're so delusional about this rattle trap of a car and it's 'badassery' then I apologize.

Cars I've owned for reference
1988 Taurus SHO
1988 Ford Bronco (still own)
1997 Mazda B2300
2001 Ford Ranger
2002 WS6
2002 Z28 (still own)
2003 Ford Ranger
2004 Lightning
2004 GTO
2005 GTO
2006 Tacoma
2008 Tacoma
2008 Z71 Silverado
2011 Tacoma
2011 Camry
2012 Tacoma (still own)
2013 F150 (still own)
2013 CTS-V
2015 FRS

I am probably forgetting a couple but every one of these vehicles has its issues, I do my own mods and maintenance and none are perfect.

Will probably buy an R35 or a raptor (maybe an f250) next year around October, point out its flaws and receive the same backlash. Which is fine, there is no perfect vehicle on the road.
You get it. No car is perfect. At least not for this price.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #371
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Huh, I'm loving how easy power will be, a supercharger/turbo kit I can bolt on in a weekend for ~50% gains while still being smog legal and reliable? Yeah, $5k-$6k for 100 horses (or 70-80 if you're so inclined) isn't the best $/hp ratio but looking at other people trying to modify strung out NA four-bangers I think we've got it good.

380+ whp takes either big money up front (quality turbo design) or big money keeping all >5L fueled no matter what car you buy, off the shelf or aftermarket. Seriously how many cars actually come with that much power? Cayman has never had that much power, the first generation 911 GT3 had 380 at the crank, a base C6 was at 400 crank, hell even the first generation Viper had that much.

You want more power than a first gen Viper with an 8L V10 or 2013 C6 Corvette in a car that weighs 500 lbs less for 1/2 the cost? I want what you're smoking. Yeah it can be done on other cars and engines with a few compromises, but this just feels like a ridiculous expectation imo.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #372
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I am still 10/10 with mine even though the rattles bother me from time to time.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #373
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
On my second BRZ. Owned a '13. Tuned it with Perrin goodies. Loved the car. Sold it for a 370Z. Didn't enjoy the Nissan. The extra power did not compensate for other limitations/flaws, etc. Sold the Z. Bought a '16 BRZ. All is well and I am content with it. Love the simplicity of it and am unbothered by the power curve.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (11-06-2015), Mim (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #374
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think it's fair to compare any car to used car value of Tacoma. Atleast since new model is out, expect to lose little more on Tacoma.
But I do not know why people get to caught up on losing value of new car. Car come and go. Most of middle age people had more then few cars in their lifetime already.
If that bothers you that much, save up and buy classic.
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #375
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
[snip]

[snip]
I'm not disagreeing with your opinions lol, I'm just saying all of your "cons" are things that can be noticed prior to buying the car. I'm more or less confused as how you ended up as an owner!?

I mean did you not drive the car? Were your expectations too high?

It sounds like an impulse buy, I'm not trying to offend its just crazy (in my head) the car has been out for a couple years the facts are all there.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #376
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'm 1 year and 2 months of owning it and still love it. In fact I've grown to love it even more now as I have a years worth of nostalgia

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (11-07-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #377
Large
IG: large2

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your opinions lol, I'm just saying all of your "cons" are things that can be noticed prior to buying the car. I'm more or less confused as how you ended up as an owner!?

I mean did you not drive the car? Were your expectations too high?

It sounds like an impulse buy, I'm not trying to offend its just crazy (in my head) the car has been out for a couple years the facts are all there.
Luckily I've bought all my Toyotas through the same local dealer in Houston and they let me take this vehicle for a few days without any stipulations. First thing I did was do my work round trip with the cruise control on, easily one of the more comfortable cars I've driven with the cruise on which set the deal for me .. don't get me wrong, I love the car and did some extensive research before I bought it but like I already said all vehicles have their quirks.

I will only own this car for a year or so .. usually put 100k miles on a vehicle and get rid of it for something else so it's not a big deal to me in the long run.
Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #378
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Luckily I've bought all my Toyotas through the same local dealer in Houston and they let me take this vehicle for a few days without any stipulations. First thing I did was do my work round trip with the cruise control on, easily one of the more comfortable cars I've driven with the cruise on which set the deal for me .. don't get me wrong, I love the car and did some extensive research before I bought it but like I already said all vehicles have their quirks.

I will only own this car for a year or so .. usually put 100k miles on a vehicle and get rid of it for something else so it's not a big deal to me in the long run.
Wow thats an awesome dealer haha, good customer relations.

Have you driven a Z yet?

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote