follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #29
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Everyone will recomend headers..

CNT UEL headers are only $350 and fitment and quality is great.

if you want to stay away from headers you can upgrade your front pipe and/or overpipe.

but theres not much gains from those if you keep your stock headers
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #30
xxatsayxx

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownbrz View Post
This might be a dumb question, but I know very little about exhausts. I recently bought the Invidia N1 Cat-back exhaust which I love (I wanted the Buddy Club Spec 2 but didn't like the single exit) but I want it to sound even louder now and better. So I guess my question is: What are the other parts of an exhaust other than what I already have, and which one should I upgrade next in order to get what I want but without paying too much, I understand headers are pretty expensive so I want to stay away from that. Thanks!

you're in the wrong section. This is the classifieds. You'll probably find your answer in the exhaust section: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
xxatsayxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxatsayxx For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-27-2015), jawn (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #31
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownbrz View Post
This might be a dumb question, but I know very little about exhausts. I recently bought the Invidia N1 Cat-back exhaust which I love (I wanted the Buddy Club Spec 2 but didn't like the single exit) but I want it to sound even louder now and better. So I guess my question is: What are the other parts of an exhaust other than what I already have, and which one should I upgrade next in order to get what I want but without paying too much, I understand headers are pretty expensive so I want to stay away from that. Thanks!

To be 100% honest if you are going to stay away from headers find the lightest system you can. A test pipe will make is louder and"drone" more as you are removing the secondary cat. Over pipe won'tmake any difference on the sound level. I would get something lighter as anything but headers will not net you any noticeable gains.

(This is where the real advise for you ends as you seem to be concerned with price haha, I dont blame you. What follows is best case no budget advise)

I think amuse makes a test pipe, also go for a single exit (I know you don't like that) cuz it weighs less. I use amuse as an example but they are $$$$ maybe look into Tomei?

(amuse test pipe 5kg lighter then stock)
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/42935

(here is a duel exit amuse that is 10kg's lighter then stock)
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/42933
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #32
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
Everyone will recomend headers..

CNT UEL headers are only $350 and fitment and quality is great.

if you want to stay away from headers you can upgrade your front pipe and/or overpipe.

but theres not much gains from those if you keep your stock headers

^^ this.

CNT headers are good quality, inexpensive headers. The UEL (un equal lenth) will also give it more of that notorious subaru "rumble". Getting uncatted headers will be the louder option and will give you the most gains. Also, those CNT header of $350 will cost about the same if you were to go and get a frontpipe/overpipe.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #33
adamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
(amuse test pipe 5kg lighter then stock)
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/42935

(here is a duel exit amuse that is 10kg's lighter then stock)
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/42933
these are probably the two worst investments you could ever buy lol

you could buy all these and still be cheaper than your options and he could have a full straight pipe, weigh nothing and be loud as fck

CNT headers $350
ebay overpipe $60
ebay front pipe $95

http://www.cntracing.com/CNT-Racing-...-p/hd-9701.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-13-16-Sc...xVbegk&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2016-St...FWCibg&vxp=mtr
Old 10-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #34
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/invi...B#.VjAOqberRaQ
Old 10-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

you could buy all these and still be cheaper than your options and he could have a full straight pipe, weigh nothing and be loud as fck

CNT headers $350
ebay overpipe $60
ebay front pipe $95

Been looking into headers as well and I think I saw your DIY thread it's awesome, also I heard the 1320 header is good if you plan on getting the overpipe with them as well for similiar pricing
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #36
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:

CNT headers $350
ebay overpipe $60
ebay front pipe $95

Hahahaha yup!!!! Well said!! Now I think they titanium pipes you can buy will weigh less then anything you can build..... but at that point to save a few pounds you are wasting money unless racecar.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #37
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Hahahaha yup!!!! Well said!! Now I think they titanium pipes you can buy will weigh less then anything you can build..... but at that point to save a few pounds you are wasting money unless racecar.
But w/ ebay crap pipes and Chicago winters, say hello to replacing the exhaust every year due to rust and corrosion. With Ti pipes and hardware, no worries. (btw, my Amuse exhaust is f/s)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #38
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
But w/ ebay crap pipes and Chicago winters, say hello to replacing the exhaust every year due to rust and corrosion. With Ti pipes and hardware, no worries. (btw, my Amuse exhaust is f/s)
Nice and subtle.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #39
adamg

Quote:
had an $90 ebay downpipe on my old gti for many years and many ohio winter until i sold the car.

stop being a dck and giving bad names to products with no experience
Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #40
mscamp02

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So by this logic since most factory systems in the world don't come with titanium exhausts, everyone who lives up n o rth or has some sort of winter should be replacing their exhaust every year

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
mscamp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #41
Ridgerunr

Drives: 2015 Series Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Remember the old saying...you get what you pay for....Quality in the long run doesn't cost that much more...
Ridgerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #42
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
had an $90 ebay downpipe on my old gti for many years and many ohio winter until i sold the car.

stop being a dck and giving bad names to products with no experience
Let me list my experiences w/ cheap low-cost ebay products

-STi header replaced by seller 3 times, every time, welds cracked within 200 miles revealing very thin piping and weak welds.
-STi downpipe: didn't fit correctly, never really used.
-Porsche exhaust bypass pipes, welds rusted after one winter (in lovely no-rain California weather)

ebay crap is still crap. not saying all stuff on ebay is crap, but when you're buying something that's not a known and tested brand from a no-name seller, there's a high risk that it is, in fact, ebay crap.

They're low-cost for a reason. I've been involved in manufacturing exhaust parts, and know what shortcuts manufacturers make to cut costs. The margins on ebay are so low that they'll do whatever they can to cut a dollar here or there, sometimes resulting in unexpected failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp02 View Post
So by this logic since most factory systems in the world don't come with titanium exhausts, everyone who lives up n o rth or has some sort of winter should be replacing their exhaust every year

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Yes, stock systems rust as well. Bolts rust and become fused, making them impossible to remove w/o a lot of effort. My stock exhaust bolts were corroded and rusted after one winter here in VA, and I rarely drove in the winter. Stock systems are generally made with thicker material, and are coated with some sort of anti-corrosion treatment (although it doesn't work that well at times). Also, I doubt stock specifications require the ability to be easily removed since it's meant to stay on the car for almost the life of the car.

However, a stock system isn't "ebay crap." So no, by my logic, a stock system does not need to be replaced every year.

There's nothing wrong with buying a random untested part from ebay. As long as you're willing to risk being a guinea pig for the testing, and are willing to risk having no recourse in case of product failure. If you are lucky to find a part that satisfies your needs and meets your expectations for a low price, then more power to you.
go_a_way1 (10-28-2015), jawn (10-28-2015)

Tags
brz, exhaust, frs